Wanting to hear the Heritage line in Georgi***

paully

I was hoping to hear a pair of Heresies or Cornwalls but have been
unable to find anyone with a pair, or a store for that matter. If
anyone near Columbus or Atlanta has a pair that they wouldn't mind a
stranger showing up to listen to, let me know. Thanks.

Paul

Unfortunately, There are no dealers with the Heritage around the Atlanta Area. Georgia Home Theater was the last to show them but are out of it now.

I am fresh out of Heritage stuff right now as I'm liquidating for a move. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Good luck

jc

Unfortunately, There are no dealers with the Heritage around the Atlanta Area. Georgia Home Theater was the last to show them but are out of it now.

Did they completely pull out of Heritage? Why? Did they at least sell their demo units? Thanks,

Larry

Yep. No Demos left.

I actually helped them sell the LS 2 demos to a guy in California....$3500!

I've talked to the manager about bailing out. He knew I would be bummed. I buy my McIntosh stuff there.

jc

I'm here, but put in a lot of extra hours this week, so I could take Friday of to go to Indy.

I'm up toward Chattanooga, so a bit farther from you other guys.

My house has LS and Heresy II models. (Also a couple flavors of JBLs but I have to be quiet about those)

Bruce

I spent 1982 - 1983 at FT Benning ga.

We used to go to Macon and Atlanta quite a bite.

In Atlanta, there was a watering hole that had 25 cent beer starting at 3 in the afternoon.  The prices doubled every hour til they caught up to normal.  Then we would head over to the Tattle-Tale lounge.

Chattanooga is a bit of a hoof. If I were in Atlanta that
would be no problem but the extra 100 miles from Columbus to Atlanta
makes it a bit far even though I would love to hear the JBL's (never
having heard a pair). But thanks!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Well...on Saturday we had a 3 member forum get together. Paul made a 180 mile drive from Columbus to Athens, and local member Ron Phelps came over for a visit once again. We did the usual listen, cook out, listen, and listen.

Paul does not own Klipsch speakers and was interested in hearing various Heritage models. He traveled quite a lot to do that on Saturday. He has SET tube equipment.......of which I have never heard......but read about a lot. He brought his Bottlehead Foreplay III preamp and SEX amp. Both of these are kits that he assembled. I saw some Auricaps under the hood. The rest I know nothing about and didn't look too closely actually. Paul must have done a good job though.....but I'll get to that.

The first thing we did was listen to the Peach / VRDs and Khorns. They were more or less the start of the afternoon since it was running when Paul arrived. The VRDS were then replaced with the SEX and the Khorns replaced with a pair heresys. Well.....the volume level sure went down.[:D] I can tell you that.

Paul has some constraints at home that limit his listening levels to pretty low. That is what also made it an interesting afternoon.....listening at much lower levels than I am used to......and also we listened to some classical music......which I do not own any of.

The heresys imaged very well in the room and it wasn't until we replaced the Peach with the ForeplayIII that I really started to notice a significant difference. The Foreplay is much darker sounding than the Peach, but after a few minutes my ears seemed to adjust and on we went. The volume levels were quite low. The darker sound reminded me vaguely of Mac amps that I have heard.

The hereseys were replaced with the cornwalls, then lascalas. Each set of speakers received about an hour of playing time. When the Lascalas were connected was the first time I really stood up and noticed what a SET amp sounds like to me. Paul and I discussed and tried to describe the differences we heard from the VRDs. There was no improvement in detail that I could hear.....it was a difference in ambience we agreed. The sound images differently than I'm used to hearing in my room and with those Lascalas. It's hard to describe but there is a pretty noticeable difference. I have heard how there is this magical mid range with SET. I did not hear any of that magic. It just sounded like good tube equipment to me, different sounding tube equipment than I own......but still just not enough volume for me. I would have liked to have heard a few more watts of that same type of sound. I would have really enjoyed that. Still it sounded nice. I kind of expected the Lascalas to be stand outs for this equipment with their ALK Jr. networks and general sensitivity....and they did sound good.

We then connected the Khorns. I honestly did not expect any improvement because I have ALK full extreme slope networks in them. I just kind of figured that the SEX wouldn't drive them as well. Well...big surprise there. They were the best sounding combo all day. That combo was the first that really let me hear clean articulate bass. I could make the bass distort easily on my lascalas and had to find the loudest I could listen without distortion. You had to back off the volume quite a bit until you had clean bass....then.....you had to sit pretty close.[:D] But not with the Khorns. The room filled with music and it really sounded nice. 2 watts drove the Ks well enough to take solid notice of the characteristic sound signature of the equipment. Still not anywhere near my normal listening level.....but the sound was crystal clear and pleasing for sure. It was a great ending to a fun day.

I know that we were not listening to the cadilacs of SET topology by any means. But the kits Paul built were quiet as my Peach/VRDs and had as good a 2 watts as you would want......if you want a 2 watt amp. He mentioned that he just ordered some more powerful amps...not sure which ones actually. I'll let him chime in. I believe he is now in the market for either heresys or LaScalas. I think he is sold on Klipsch now.

For me...it was enough to understand why some people prefer the sound of a SET amp. It is different for sure. It can be pleasing to me. I would really be interested in hearing a more powerful representation. I kept to that theme all day Saturday. Everything sounded nice....just not enough guts for me. I simply require more volume.

Paul / Ron, I had a fun day....learned some stuff.....had a good lunch.....and some good fun. You guys are always welcome back of course. Let's do it again sometime soon.

JC, it would have been nice if you could have made it. Next time.

Richard, I should have invited you, what's 5 1/2 hours......because once football season starts no one from Florida or Tenessee is coming here.[;)] Just kidding of course. [:D] Had to get that in there. I can confidently say that unless you could daisy chain a few of those SEX amps together....or attach the Jubs to your ears, no you would not prefer them to VRDs. All joking aside, they sounded full and crystal clear on your old Khorns, just not nearly enough volume for me.....and I know you. Forget about it. I truly do want to hear a more powerful SET setup sometime though. I really like the way they imaged on my Lascalas and the clear presentation and imaging on the Ks.

Does anyone know what the usual power levels are for the most popular SET amps?