One more thing...for now

• Moderators

I was wondering if anyone else had privilege of hearing IndyKIlipschFan sing...live and on stage in his home theater.

The man has a wonderful voice...what a treat....he should perform more often. Who knows IndyKlipschFan may be the next American Idol!

His Karaoke set up is second to none and I can tell you we enjoyed the performance immensely. Thank you Roger.

A few of us heard him sing two years ago. He is good.

His system was my inspiration to include Karaoke in my HT for my wife.

My wife also has an amazing voice and is serious about her singing like Roger is.

She has Karaoke parties every few months and everyone raves about how nice it sounds and they keep coming back.

Damon reminded me a few weeks ago that I have not had a HT / listening party in a while. I'll have one yet this summer, will just have to keep the singers away somehow.

JM

• Moderators

JM,

It was great to see you and your son again. I can not believe how much he has grown since we were in Hope last year.

I really enjoyed listening to Roger sing, maybe we could get him and your wife to do a "duet" for us one day! That would be cool.

The Karaoke set up is a dream system for me. I have a fantastic Mackie 16 channel board to play with, 6 mics, (which I am sure I have wired in is a sound mans nightmare, LOL but makes sense to me,) and it sounds pretty good to me. And it is in Stereo too!! wooo hooooo!! I use for speakers, much to the gasp of a lot of people in Klipsch land, 2 sets of Cornwalls. So 4 Cornwalls are used in my karaoke system. One set I play only music through.. And the other set only to sing through.

I used a simple stereo Alesis digital delay that I can add delay and some reverb into the room for vocals only and a DBX 2231 EQ/ Compressor-Limiter to sneek this and that out of recordings to my taste.

Shure SM 58 Mics are a must, they have always been my favorite..

I have assorted lights and it is a singers/ performers dream. Why? I now have, I believe, about 5,000 songs from many different eras.. and trust me we can find one for you too.. No bass player or drummer ego problems, LOL and you can sing as little or as long as you want as well. My friend karen here in Indy, who is a "KJ" or karaoke Jock, gave me permission to use this quote and minipulate it anyway I would like.. I will share it with you, too, here.

Everyone can sing
As humans, most of us have been blessed with a voice
One which allows us to communicate and laugh and cry
And sing
But we are taught that certain people are special
And deserve the right to sing because their voice is better
Or prettier
And we support those elite few by giving them money
And singing along with them in our cars
Or our showers
Or sometimes walking down the street
Because we are moved by them
Until we catch the next car over staring
And having been caught
Silence ourselves

Now I'm not saying there isn't brilliance of talent in the universe
Artists
Voices that can touch millions and move us to sing along in our cars
Or our showers
All I'm saying is we each have an inherent need for self expression
And insecurity and fear and this elitist mentality
Prevent us every day from discovering the great works of art
That are most definitely hiding within
With a little luck
Some humor
A smart-*** KJ
And maybe a wee bit of alcohol
Together we can create a non-threatening environment
Where we can all feel comfortable enough
To find our own voice.

I sang my whole life in Elementary, Jr High, HS, and College Choirs, even at Church, only to get older and not have a "outlet" anymore besides National Anthems for sporting events and conventions. (The TV Show American Idol now has thousands of people singing and want also to do this..) A good friend working at a radio station here in Indy had a national "singing in the shower" contest. I took a karaoke song and changed the words and ran with it... I dragged my wife into it who sings ohhhs and ahhhs (She is the beauty) and she sang along with backgroud voices to the songs I picked.. Long n short we won 3 years in a row! The contest paid great money, we got a free week long trip to Universal studios in LA, and we got to perform at the House of Blues on Sunset Blvd too.. All this from performing in the parking lot of your local Wal Mart to like 1,000 people... it was NUTS! Seeing yourself on CNN who filmed it for 2 days was also way cool! People called me that I knew as far back as Junior High School. LOL.

It is always hard to really talk about yourself... I always believed it is easier to talk or edify someone else so I will do so here. I could of never finished my HT/Karaoke room without my wifes support in my dream of completing this too. Face it, I am 45. I am long past dreaming to be a singing star at this point. I love to sing... Yet what a dilema not to have a expressive outlet at this stage of my life? To be honest, sitting in a smoky bar, often times in the middle of the week to sing 1-3 songs if your lucky if you stayed till closing, and get up and work the next day is hard to do. Let alone what some people consume to get over their fears and emotions just to scream out some song off key or really screw it up.

So from 2000-2003 We took the money I/WE won from Karaoke contests to fund the system. (I would of dreamed of this equipment in my college band years, singing with my cover band in the 80's.) The other cool thing is my kids at 5 and 3 have no fear at all now and sing for others... So no matter how much "dialed in" and have the "perfect song" for my voice, 2 seconds into my own kids singing Over The Rainbow.. THEY are the center of attention! hahahahahaha At least they will not have stage freight and grow up singing too for fun!

Long n short is it all fun and cool? Yes, beyond my wildest dreams. So stop by sometime, and I will help you find the song for "your voice" and you can be a star onstage with the lights here.

post-5910-13819338836974_thumb.jpg

A LOT fo fun!! When we got to California, we found the 50 other state winners!! We had a blast meeing other "crazies" like us too!

In this contest we used Rob Thomas / Santana song "Smooth"... Changing all of the words to "Using Dove Smooth" ..... She was very cool and beautiful in her outfit, even if I do say so myself! hahahahahahah

post-5910-13819338838234_thumb.jpg

There is a lot of stuff, of course, at Wal Mart. We also won 1,500 cash when we arrievd in California, but our trip and everything we did was paid for. In that year, if I recall right, it was over 4-5 grand in cash and freebies! Nothing to retire on, but not bad for a part time Karaoke singer/contest winners. Crazy as it sounds, we won this 3 years in a row... And it was a blast!

The best part was realizing other people out there were "just like us" enter and win crazy things like this too. Sad the internet has it where you take a video of yourself on myspace to make yourself famous today??? That audience interaction in my opinion is lost.

• Moderators

Roger none of that surprises me I heard you sing !

Roger played a song off a DVD and then sang the song himself, he was was at least as good as the the DVD , I think better.

Even if I could sing I would be to nervous to get up there and do it, Roger makes it look easy, and fun.

If you ever give up the $ business ( yea right ) you could make it as a singer.

It was really nice to spend some time with you and your family, hope everyone is doing great.

Roger. Where are the strings on those Guitars...[:)]

My wife has also won a few state karaoke titles in the late 90's.

Our kids also love singing. Or should I say being the center of attention while they sing.

We really should get our families together sometime for some karaoke.

JM

Dtel

Sometimes you get lucky and find a song that is just you.... In your range and you can do a good job at it. Trust me there are some artists I just plain suck at, because the human voice is so unique.

Karaoke should be fun and enjoyable too. In some countries it is after a meal or special occasions shared by everyone. Your actually shunned if you do not participate. LOL It is a time to just lay back sing a favorite song that may mean something to you too.

Thanks for your comment on my singing (blush) It is a lot of years or training and forgetting half of that and finding your own voice too. LOL Some of what I do is not technically correct but rest assure the basics of breath support tone pitch and style still all come together...

The really cool thing is seeing my kids inherit some of this singing craziness too. They both, so far "have it" and time will tell if they can figure it out too. They have a incredible library to practice from in songs to sing, if they can get the basics down, the sky is the limit for them IMO.

Everyone is great!! You know, next time spend more than one day here too. I still want to know what you added to the burgers... mmmmm

Dtel
Sometimes you get lucky and find a song that is just you.... In your range and you can do a good job at it. Trust me there are some artists I just plain suck at, because the human voice is so unique.

Karaoke should be fun and enjoyable too. In some countries it is after a meal or special occasions shared by everyone. Your actually shunned if you do not participate. LOL It is a time to just lay back sing a favorite song that may mean something to you too.

Thanks for your comment on my singing (blush) It is a lot of years or training and forgetting half of that and finding your own voice too. LOL Some of what I do is not technically correct but rest assure the basics of breath support tone pitch and style still all come together...

The really cool thing is seeing my kids inherit some of this singing craziness too. They both, so far "have it" and time will tell if they can figure it out too. They have a incredible library to practice from in songs to sing, if they can get the basics down, the sky is the limit for them IMO.

with a stage like that in the theater room they will have a great start

Everyone is great!! You know, next time spend more than one day here too. I still want to know what you added to the burgers... mmmmm

I want one right now....

You mean I have to actually play guitar to win a karaoke contest too? hehehehhehe No strings, we painted them all up ourselves.

Karaoke "Singing" contests are usually pretty much a gamble to win. If you have 8 friends and they get others to cheer for you at your average bar, and your close your gonna win. We had a woman here that did a dead on Whitney Houston I will always love you song a few years ago. She later did Chaka Khan's I'm Every Woman , both with different styles and nailed it.. I mean a 12 on a 1- 10 scale. She should of won it all and didn't even make the finals..??? The small town girl that did had 3 of the 5 judges from her area at state, and her cousin the local impartial middle school choir teacher was a judge.. go figure.. LOL That was it for me..

Kids are awesome to see light up when they have a chance to sing!

I would love to sing sometime with your other 1/2.

Roger