Old La Scalas, woofer mounting

Blvdre

I'm in the process of updating my La Scalas (rewiring, damping the horns, replacing the X-overs with ALK Universals), and noticed that the K33 was mounted using only 4 of the 8 mounting holes. This had led to what I like to refer to as the "potato chip" effect, i.e. waves in the basket edge. Everything looks stock and original, so am I correct in assuming that this was a production decision on the part of Klipsch? I know....picky, picky...

DD's correct. That's stock. PWK would say, "Not a dime's worth of difference" by putting four more bolts in. Nevertheless, I suggest that you add four more and torque them down evenly. There's no room for a T-nut near the peak of dog house but wood screws will do there. When I opened some LS that had seen bar duty, all four machine screws were loose; put in four more.

DD's correct. That's stock. PWK would say, "Not a dime's worth of difference" by putting four more bolts in. Nevertheless, I suggest that you add four more and torque them down evenly. There's no room for a T-nut near the peak of dog house but wood screws will do there. When I opened some LS that had seen bar duty, all four machine screws were loose; put in four more

Good suggestion, I will most definitely do that. Slightly off topic, I removed the K-55-V from the horn (prep/clean-up for applying damping), put my mouth up to the horn, and sang a few notes. I was surprised at how much that horn rang. I imagine when it's mounted, the plywood might provide minimal damping, but I see now that this is a very necessary tweak. Has anyone figured out what the approximate resonance of the k400 is?

Yes, I have some 242 that'll do the trick. I think I'll throw some lockwashers on the wood screws as insurance.

Instead of dynamat, I went with the parts express version. I looked through some of the old posts, and the old style dynamat seemd to be preferred. Since it's not available, a few suggested the parts express version, as it's similar (seems like an asphalt based compound)....also it's a bit cheaper than dynamat, and who doesn't like cheaper?