a Quick Question about La Scal***

hygog

Hi hygog.

One thing I do (that I learned on the forum here years ago) is two get a couple of 2 x 4s cut the width of the cabinet, wrap them in towels so you don't scratch the floor and you get a little cushion effect, then prop them under the fronts so the cabinets are aimed up a little at the front. This helps cut standing waves with the floor and brings the horns a little more to ear level. I'm using this setup with the LaScalas in corners right now - and get a good bottom end.

If you were going to suspend the LaScalas, it might be an idea to try them upside down, so once again, the horns are near ear level, and they would really need a sub.

They aren't the easiest things to move around, but it might be an idea to play around with placement on a temporary basis, before they're locked into a permanent (ie-stands or suspended) mode.

Good luck. Slainte. Hamish

It could be worth seeing how the Scalas sound with the fronts raised, but in my room the sound became quite harsh when I raised the fronts 2 inches. After a day I put them flat on the floor again. In my listening position, my ears are about level with the tweeters, if that's any help.

Perhaps Custom Audio set up the speakers to sound best to customers who were standing while listening.

Slainte to you too, Hamish!

It could be worth seeing how the Scalas sound with the fronts raised, but in my room the sound became quite harsh when I raised the fronts 2 inches. After a day I put them flat on the floor again. In my listening position, my ears are about level with the tweeters, if that's any help.

I wonder why that is? by raising the front you only make the speakers face "more toward you", ie ears more in level with the tweeters. In any case I will play with the placement as recommended.

Thank you all for the help!

With mine in the corners I have tried raising the fronts using 2 inch thick books. Without raising, the tweeters point straight to me at ear level, by raising the height is really about the same but the squawkers then point straight to me. The effect is pleasing - the room frequency response seems to smooth and shift down a little. I think by up-angling the LS the upper frequency direct sound paths and reflections might become more complicated, which could improve the dispersions, reflections, and absorbtions... I think the bass remains the same.

It's best to leave it on the floor or you will lose some bass, and yes the bottom is flat.

The bottom is 'flat'- well , it depends.

Industrial model, the woofer door is inset into the bottom, so the bottom is indeed flat

Standard model, the woofer door is screwed onto the surface, it's still flat, but not across the entire bottom of the cabinet. The door makes the cabinet slightly 'float' on carpeted floors.

Remember there is some vertical dispersion of the horns. It's not a laser beam that has to be directed into your auditory canal.

Besides, if you tip them back, your doilies will keep slipping off!