Electrovoice Speaker and Altec Driver Questions

thebes

Customer gave me this Electrovoice speaker. Just got it in the house and haven't hooked it up yet but it appears to be ok.

What is this thing anyway?

Also, anybody need an Altec 600B driver. Looks to be in perfect condition. This would not be free since it wasn't given to me but say 60% of the going rate plus shipping. I would of course, hook it up and ascertain performance before sending it along. Sorry no picture but I can get one if needed.

post-14801-13819339171874_thumb.jpg

It's an Aristocrat. Nominally designed by PWK. May have a JBL driver in there. The blonde ones are scarce, but not impossible to find - they're usually found in mahogany. You get into it from the front, as I recall - the grill slides out the bottom and you go from there.

It could take a 12" co-ax, or a combination of midrange and tweeter horns. You see them a lot with SP-12bs and T-35bs in them.

The Aristocrats were in EV's line for over a decade. They sold a ton of them, both as kits and factory built.

Thanks for the link Guy. Glad to see you still check in from time to time.

Ah, my Captain, My Captain you always come through. Using your directions I slid the bottom out and now I know why there was an Altec 600B driver in a home built cabinent because at some time he had replaced whatever was in the Aristocrat with another 600B. That means for a few bucks I can end up with a pair of these drivers.

Question is, of course, what if anything could I do with them? Could I drop them in my cornies? Use them to pick up chicks? (hey ya wanna see my drivers).

Could be slippery slope asking for opinions. "Oh you'll need exovers, some horns, exotic tweets, a cabinet built to this and that specification. Shouldn't cost you over several million dollars. Go for it."

Seriously, what should I do?

Thanks for the link Guy. Glad to see you still check in from time to time.

Ah, my Captain, My Captain you always come through. Using your directions I slid the bottom out and now I know why there was an Altec 600B driver in a home built cabinent because at some time he had replaced whatever was in the Aristocrat with another 600B. That means for a few bucks I can end up with a pair of these drivers.

Question is, of course, what if anything could I do with them? Could I drop them in my cornies? Use them to pick up chicks? (hey ya wanna see my drivers).

Could be slippery slope asking for opinions. "Oh you'll need exovers, some horns, exotic tweets, a cabinet built to this and that specification. Shouldn't cost you over several million dollars. Go for it."

Seriously, what should I do?

Get them asap. The 600B drivers are very desirable and should sound pretty nice.

Ok, Guy. I now have both of them.

Perfect pyhsical condition with no tears, dry rot or stiffness in the cone surrounds. However, if I put a paper clip on the back or side of the driver it will barely stay. Are these in need of re-magnetizing or does the metal cover shield the magnets.

Also, what the do I do with these things now that I have them?

I sent you a PM on another matter.

Marty,

You could use them in an open baffle design. Very simple, basically cut a hole in a piece of plywood, mount the speakers, prop up the plywood. I haven't done this, but Mark Deneen has. I would suspect there is some science to determining the size of the plywood.

The Aristocrats were in EV's line for over a decade. They sold a ton of them, both as kits and factory built.

CapnBob Back in my college days (just after the earth cooled), a friend of mine bought an Aristocrat kit and the speaker (or speakers, I dont remember) and we put the thing together one evening. It had about a zillion screws and those were the days before electric screwdrivers (and we couldnt have afforded one, anyway!). We had it playing that same evening, and I was dazzled by its bass (well, I was young and very impressionable). To this very day, Id like to have a pair of Aristocrats Id put them in the office. I do love the "blondes!" [:$]

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Have a great weekend!

Rob

Well I did hook one of them up to a receiver I had lying around and it plays. Hard to tell about the quality of the sound because it was an old SS thing and the speaker was just attached to the motor board (if that's what you call it).

Thanks for the advice Fini and I did consider doing that, but these are just woofers not duplex, so no tweeters. Since my Heresy's take 12" woofers, I'm thinking of swapping one out and doing an A/B.

I was concerned about the magnetism because searching the web I've run across a service for remagentizing these things and an old Forum thread that also mentions this.

I can't find any specs on this driver so I don't know if these are the kind that need this sort of thing done to them.

One more question, Would my exover have to be tweaked if I put these in the Heresies? It's just a simple Type E (I believe).

Thanks for the advice Fini and I did consider doing that, but these are just woofers not duplex, so no tweeters.

But it's a "full range" speaker. Sure, no sparkly highs (or deep bass), but I'd still give it a go.

Well I dropped one in my Heresy and A/B'd it for awhile. The existing driver had a bit more detail but the Altec sounded smoother. That might just be because the Altec was putting out more volume. Hart to tell, so I dropped the other one in and am enjoying it.. Seems to run a bit lower but I've been meaning to drop my taps down to 4ohm and that maybe just the ticket.

These cost me virtually nothing and it's a fun experiment.