Listening Levels

ClaudeJ1

I have found that as my system's synergy has improved over the years, the lower my average loudness when listening. These days I will listen at 70 -75 dB for most music. I still rock out when I am in the mood, and will listen then at 90+ dB, but usually only for 10 -15 minutes.

Part of the synergy I mentioned has to do with good integration of my passive sub with my Chorus speakers. This has taken a few years of tweaking and the addition of some new equipment for bass management. The end result is good bass impact at lower volumes. In the past, it seems the main reason I turned the loudness higher was to get more chest impact from the bass.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have found that as my system's synergy has improved over the years, the lower my average loudness when listening. These days I will listen at 70 -75 dB for most music. I still rock out when I am in the mood, and will listen then at 90+ dB, but usually only for 10 -15 minutes.

Part of the synergy I mentioned has to do with good integration of my passive sub with my Chorus speakers. This has taken a few years of tweaking and the addition of some new equipment for bass management. The end result is good bass impact at lower volumes. In the past, it seems the main reason I turned the loudness higher was to get more chest impact from the bass.

I agree completely with your assessment Tillerman. I have found with the added headroom from the high powered QSC that chest impact starts at a very low to moderate volume and as you go up in volume it just becomes unbelieveable. Easy to obtain a realistic "Rock Show" in the stereo room.[Y]

most people go through a phase where they like the music to hit them in the chest. They like roller coasters, too. Eventually, they find that entertainment doesn't have to be extreme to be good.

Really?

Well, I should have mentioned that the phase can last for decades...

Maybe it's cuz I'm still young, but there is a point to where I'd rather trash my body enjoying myself than to live a boring, longer life. That's not to say that I support the other extreme though...there's a balance there somewhere.

I think it's interesting to note that there are musical cultures out there that revolve around music that is acoustically louder than many of the rock concerts over here...and none of those people are wearing any form of hearing protection.

The body has its own set of defense mechanisms that kick in when there's loud sounds. If you gently ease yourself into these SPL's, your ears have enough time to build up the defenses that prevent damage. Most of the reason you can't hear very well right after a loud concert is that it takes time for your defenses to wear off. As a sound guy I have to work very hard to avoid these threshold shifts that way the music can have the same loudness without driving the system into distortion and into SPL's that will cause damage regardless of the ear's defenses.

As long as you're not drunk / high you can pretty much go by the rule "If it hurts, stop."...kinda hard for the wannabe macho teenager to do though.

FWIW, I'm listening around 55dB right now...

With the same exact meter IB pictured, I average 85-90db ..not only because it sounds "right" but it also correlates with the OSHA standards. I don't want to lose my hearing..well, any more of it! After 32 years working around jets, I have been smart enough there to wear hearing protection the entire time. Unfortunately, as a teen and into my early twenties, I didn't think my motocross bike's expansion chamber/stinger would affect me. That was before spark arrestors, mufflers, and me wearing a helmet! Wonder where my hi end hearing loss came from?? Not wanting to lose anymore, I've been pretty careful.

Who, unfortunately, you'll get older too. Not saying to not enjoy life, but moderation's where it's at..and re reading your post, I think that's what you're saying too!

Steve

Well, some bands play really good music, but they play it really loud. If you get stuck near the speakers, you should protect your hearing. In an arena situation, the music will be pretty loud in some places and really loud in others.

As well, most people go through a phase where they like the music to hit them in the chest. They like roller coasters, too. Eventually, they find that entertainment doesn't have to be extreme to be good. Hopefull, they still have some hearing left by then.

Preach it Brother Pat!

"The body has its own set of defense mechanisms that kick in when
there's loud sounds. If you gently ease yourself into these SPL's, your
ears have enough time to build up the defenses that prevent damage.
Most of the reason you can't hear very well right after a loud concert
is that it takes time for your defenses to wear off"

Young man, that is the most drivel you've ever spouted off. Got some research to prove that the human ear has 'defense mechanisms'?

most people go through a phase where they like the music to hit them in the chest. They like roller coasters, too. Eventually, they find that entertainment doesn't have to be extreme to be good.

Really?

Well, I should have mentioned that the phase can last for decades...

LMAO!

Well, some bands play really good music, but they play it really loud. If you get stuck near the speakers, you should protect your hearing. In an arena situation, the music will be pretty loud in some places and really loud in others.

As well, most people go through a phase where they like the music to hit them in the chest. They like roller coasters, too. Eventually, they find that entertainment doesn't have to be extreme to be good. Hopefull, they still have some hearing left by then.

Preach it Brother Pat!

My point with that post is obviously it doesn't look as if I will ever be to old for roller coasters. If I live long enough even my great grand kids will have a blast with me at the amusement parks. And as far as "Rock Shows" I too am smart enough to wear hearing protection. At home I can contrlol the insanity but on someone elses turf I am victim to what ever they see fit. But also at home it doesnt have to be loud to be felt.[Y]

Don't get old guys !

"The body has its own set of defense mechanisms that kick in when there's loud sounds. If you gently ease yourself into these SPL's, your ears have enough time to build up the defenses that prevent damage. Most of the reason you can't hear very well right after a loud concert is that it takes time for your defenses to wear off. As a sound guy I have to work very hard to avoid these threshold shifts that way the music can have the same loudness without driving the system into distortion and into SPL's that will cause damage regardless of the ear's defenses."

Who!

You're a smart kid and this one shocks me. You better find a different book to read on this one. While you're at it you might want to read up and start designing a new High Performance Hearing Aid you can use with your new Klipsch line for the "hearing impaired". Save your ears kid.

I've played hard. Rocked hard. Lived harder than most. You just think you are still "indestructable" and think you know everything. This will probably go in one ear and out the other but PLEASE take care of yourself. Getting older is cool as hell kid. It's not the "curse" you are led to believe it is when you're young. Retain enough of your faculties to enjoy your given time here on earth. Regrets are a "bandit" you don't need.

We're playing in a world of Kicka$$ sound gear that is more than capable of messing you up for life. Realize your potential. What's the market rate for a deaf sound engineer?

Beethoven was great. Imagine what he could have done if he had his hearing.

Harry

"Pat on the Island" said that the phase that we go through, (loud music and roller coasters) could last for decades. Well mine did last for decades and now I wear two hearing aids. If young people do not think that wearing ear plugs, or protecting their hearing is cool, how cool do they think hearing aids are? It is too bad that many young people do not plan for the future. The car that they are driving will not be around when they are older, but some people take better care of their car then their health; I know that I did.

I have thought of purchasing a db meter, but I am trying to wean off the toys. Now I see that a db meter is not another toy, but valuable for one's health. I will be purchasing a db meter in the near future. Thanks for helping me justify the purchase, and protect what I have left of my hearing.

The bottom line is that I will retire within three years. This is when I can really focus on my interests, one of which is listening to music. I have lost enough hearing (about 60 db at 5,000 Hz) I don't want to lose any more.

Wot, you guys don't get massive ear wax build up when listening loud for a bit?

Y'all think I'm careless with my hearing, which is so not the case. I can't find any online literature after a quick search, but my source is my ENT, Dr. Rubach. He's really good at what he does and also has literature out in his waiting room that talks about it too. Every once in a while I swing by to see how my ears are doing and I'm doing fine.

Just make sure your sinuses are clear and don't relieve the wax buildup.

Why isn't this literature more prevalent? Because the masses are stupid and hearing damage is a bigger concern than knowing when you can listen to it loud. The last thing we need is people to find reason to claim their ears are safe when they're not. Also, the ear's defenses only work for a small range of increased SPL.

As long as you're not drunk / high you can pretty much go by the rule "If it hurts, stop."...kinda hard for the wannabe macho teenager to do though.

FWIW, I'm listening around 55dB right now...

Correction: As long as you ARE drunk / high you mistakenly "think" you can pretty much go by the rule "If it hurts, stop."

Consider: You only think you are listening around 55dB because you have damaged your hearing, it is really somewhat louder.

I started wearing earplugs when riding my motorbike because the wind noise was fatiguing after a long ride. I wish I'd started sooner. At concerts, I started wearing earplugs when I realized it was so loud that my overloaded ears were distorting the sound. Sooner would have been good there, too.

It's hard to convince young people of the need for hearing protection because it takes years for the damage to become permanent. However, hearing loss with age is not inevitable, it's the result of accumulated damage. In industrial society, we take it for granted, but there are primitive societies living in jungles today that have never heard any loud noises other than maybe thunder. Their old folks have the hearing of our youths.

Loud music can be really good. I've listened to lots of it. Just remember your ears are more sensitive than they appear and take care of them accordingly.

BTW, Pete Townshend is nearly deaf and so are quite a few other musicians.

michael, hear, hear... (hmm, no pun intended...)

anyway, the science as i understand it is you have tiny hairs in your inner ear that vibrate with sound frequencies. if the db's are too loud and/or too sustained, these hairs break off and are never replenished. you have many of these hairs but they are finite in number and the more you abuse and break off of these hairs the less you hear. eventually you wiill have noticable hearing loss that will never improve. lesson to be learned, if you want to continue having good hearing be smart how you use your ears...

pete

p.s. i'm one of the stupid ones who abused his hearing in my youth nad now have a noticable hearing deficit at the age of 50.

"Exposure to harmful sounds causes damage to the hair cells as well as the auditory, or hearing, nerve (see figure). Impulse sound can result in immediate hearing loss that may be permanent. This kind of hearing loss may be accompanied by tinnitusa ringing, buzzing, or roaring in the ears or headwhich may subside over time. Hearing loss and tinnitus may be experienced in one or both ears, and tinnitus may continue constantly or occasionally throughout a lifetime.

Continuous exposure to loud noise also can damage the structure of hair cells, resulting in hearing loss and tinnitus, although the process occurs more gradually than for impulse noise.

Exposure to impulse and continuous noise may cause only a temporary hearing loss. If a person regains hearing, the temporary hearing loss is called a temporary threshold shift. The temporary threshold shift largely disappears 16 to 48 hours after exposure to loud noise. You can prevent NIHL from both impulse and continuous noise by regularly using hearing protectors such as earplugs or earmuffs."

http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/noise.htm

have a blessed night,

roy