Did I get the right stuff?

avidiot

Hello everyone! I guess my first post here will be an information gathering expedition. As my screenname implies, I am a true A/V idiot. So with that in mind, tell me what I did wrong with my first Klipsch purchase. I have been price shopping the SLX set-up, but talked to another Klipsch dealer and was lead away from them to what I purchased.

RB-51

RC52

RPW10

RS10

Denon AVR2308CI

Denon DVD1730

I wanted a basically entry level system, a little better than the HTIB stuff (I assume?), and bought most of the items, save the receiver, because he had them in stock for immediate gratification. Basically what I want to know, is where did I go wrong if at all? And given that I had a budget of less than 5K to do this with (to include the TV), is there a better way? Thanks in advance for listening to the rambling, and for any advice.

AVI

• Moderators

AVI,

Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us. I can't say if you got a "good deal" or not, because I am really not familiar with the pricing on the items you bought. There are members who post here regularly that are familiair with current pricing and I am sure they will tell you their opinions.

It is sometimes a little slow here on the weekends, but keep reading and checking in and I am sure someone will see your post and respond. One thing you will catch on to very quickly.....you will get a lot of different opinions from this group....all with good intentions. Read and enjoy, but always remember you are purchasing to please yourself.

Have you set your system up and listened to it yet? What do you think of it? What kind of TV did you get?

Again welcome to the Forum and oh, yes congratulations on your new purchase. Is this your first Klipsch purchase?

AVI,

Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us. I can't say if you got a "good deal" or not, because I am really not familiar with the pricing on the items you bought. There are members who post here regularly that are familiair with current pricing and I am sure they will tell you their opinions.

It is sometimes a little slow here on the weekends, but keep reading and checking in and I am sure someone will see your post and respond. One thing you will catch on to very quickly.....you will get a lot of different opinions from this group....all with good intentions. Read and enjoy, but always remember you are purchasing to please yourself.

Have you set your system up and listened to it yet? What do you think of it? What kind of TV did you get?

Again welcome to the Forum and oh, yes congratulations on your new purchase. Is this your first Klipsch purchase?

Thanks! Not really looking for the "good deal", as far as pricing, I did get the speakers for a few hundred less than 5 SLX's and a Sub10, just don't know if I did the right thing piecing them together as I did from what he had. As far as TV, I have a 55" Sony SXRD rear projection, but actually went to an LG 37" LCD because the room I am going to use is kind of small. Haven't heard them yet, as the reciever won't be in until Teusday.[:'(] I am just sitting in the middle of the floor petting them for now. This is my first Klipsch purchase, as I am attempting the twelve steps of a reforming Bose owner.

Not buyer's remorse, more like novice apprehension. I'm not sure that piecing together the speakers with what was in stock for a better price than ordering what I thought I wanted for more money was a good decision? I haven't had the chance to hear them since I did oreder the AVR.

AVI

ETA: Ooops! meant to quote your response DrWho!

AVI,

No idea about the price... but seems like a good start on your 12 step B*@& recovery process... You certainly could've spent a lot more for a lot less. I'm not sure there ever is completely the right stuff.

Enjoy and welcome to the forum! The people here are really nice (though at times a few may seem a little p'od at one another) and very well versed in all things audio and a whole lot more.... I think Dtel's Wife called it one big dysfunctional family ... but dysfunctional in a good way. I've met a few in person at the latest Klipsch Pilgrimage, including Klipsch employees and they really are a very diverse great group of music loving, fun loving, Klipsch loving folks.

As far as recovering from B*@&, do a search on VP of engineering.... I think it's in the Klipsch Pilgrimage thread.

• Moderators

Not so familiar with the newer models, but anything reference will sound good, much better than any HTIB !

Even if you did not have bose before you will be SHOCKED with sound of your new Klipsch.

Do you have a decibel meter, like the radio snack ones for about $40. If not you may want to get one, it will make a Hugh difference to have all channels set at the same volume level, very hard to do by ear.

To bad you have to wait on the receiver, prepare to be shocked. Take the time to get everything setup correctly before you really listen, it will worth the time it takes. And don't forget go thru the menu on the dvd player and set it also along with the receiver.

Not so familiar with the newer models, but anything reference will sound good, much better than any HTIB !

Even if you did not have bose before you will be SHOCKED with sound of your new Klipsch.

Do you have a decibel meter, like the radio snack ones for about $40. If not you may want to get one, it will make a Hugh difference to have all channels set at the same volume level, very hard to do by ear.

To bad you have to wait on the receiver, prepare to be shocked. Take the time to get everything setup correctly before you really listen, it will worth the time it takes. And don't forget go thru the menu on the dvd player and set it also along with the receiver.

I'm hoping that the guy I bought all this from has all that when they come to install it! Afterall, why do yourself what you can pay others to do![A] (Actually, the finance minister would not allow me to touch this stuff without proper adult supervision/training)

• Moderators

Actually, the finance minister would not allow me to touch this stuff without proper adult supervision/training)

Ah!! The Minister of Finance. She Who Must Be Obeyed... She even has the T-shirt..... Welcome to the Forum, and... keep the Minister Happy!![;)]

Hey Groomlake, I'm gonna tell Katrina you are talking about her again![;)] I met her and she didn't seem like the "One who must be obeyed"....geez first impressions do fool me sometimes![;)]

I also am a noob to AV. I have a decent sized room roughly 500sq. I went with rf,rc,rs10's all around a denon avr-1707 reciever and a rw-10d sub, I also had prior a 46inch dlp samsung. I listen to rock rap classic rock and well anything basically. and it is crisp like you wouldnt believe. My system aside from the sub is as entry lvl as ya get. I have yet to turn it up past -6dbs due to the fact that it is just so clear and loud. I dont have a dedicated room for ht so i make due in my livign room. My wife was happy with the purchase when the THX sounds and screen played on a dvd last weekend (the dog started howlign and the cups on the table vibrated). These speakers (klipsch) are truely one of the best i have ever seen. What is funny about this is that I burned through 3 htib and was so irritated with it decided i would go with this type setup. my system pic is in show us your HT thread page 87 i believe. Only you can decide if you bought the right stuff. i think i went a bit heavy on the sub but i can turn it down if needed. Only hope none of your speakers buzz, it burned me for 3 days untill the dealer finally herd it and authorised the replacement of a new center.

Hey Groomlake, I'm gonna tell Katrina you are talking about her again![;)] I met her and she didn't seem like the "One who must be obeyed"....geez first impressions do fool me sometimes![;)]

Oh well, she's certainly the "better angel of my destiny" and looks over my shoulder on occasion[;)]. She's real quiet about her power as the Minister (until I start looking at something outrageous and get whopped... [:-*]). I suspect most MOF's are quiet until it's time to spring into action!!Then we get "whopped" [:'(]

Oh well, she's certainly the "better angel of my destiny" and looks over my shoulder on occasion[;)]. She's real quiet about her power as the Minister (until I start looking at something outrageous and get whopped... [:-*]). I suspect most MOF's are quiet until it's time to spring into action!!Then we get "whopped" [:'(]

So true, So true! I just got whopped because I told her that I now need outdoor speakers for the deck!

• Moderators

All this "whopping" going on!!!!

Hey Avid....tell her everyone else has outdoor speakers for their decks...then duck real quick so she can't whop you again![;)]

Groomlake....now that sounds a lot nicer, "better angel of my destiny"....I like that....okay I'll keep quiet for a little while longer....just remember us women stick together!!![;)]

All this "whopping" going on!!!!

Hey Avid....tell her everyone else has outdoor speakers for their decks...then duck real quick so she can't whop you again![;)]

Groomlake....now that sounds a lot nicer, "better angel of my destiny"....I like that....okay I'll keep quiet for a little while longer....just remember us women stick together!!![;)]

I've chosen the "Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission" route, so saying, this may be my last post![*-)]