Hypothetical..If you could choose a plywood for a Jubilee bass bin

jwc

Now this is just for interest sake......

If you were going to order jubilee bass bins or build a pair...and had the option of any plywood..what plywood would you choose.

I need some education here. Say you were to stain it or leave it unfinished.....no veneering

I like what was offered on the late scala. What other nice 3/4" plywoods are available....not necessarily used by Klipsch.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/la-scala.aspx

jc

I like the LaScala and early Heresy birch raw look as well.  I seen a few Khorns that way also.

My favorite is Mahagany plywood.  In germany, Mahogany plywood was very popular...a wood with a redish brown tint....made a few khorns from that wood that looked stunning oiled with black grills.

This one is in MD.  I am sure if you check...you will find one closer.....talk about a kid in a candy store...wait til you see this site's  different types of plywood.

note below..for shipping...good feature

BECAUSE OF UPS SHIPPING REQUIREMENTS PLEASE SUPPLY A CUTTING LIST SO THAT NO PART IS LARGER THAN 36 X 48 OR 12 X 96 OR WE WILL SHIP AS 2 X 4

MAHOGANY PLYWOOD 3/4 X 4 X 8 MDF CORE $131.20

Is the MDF core a problem you think? I wonder if one side has the awesome grain and the other side doesn't....is this typical?

Thanks for the help so far.

jc

Check out these guys... they have a place in Atlanta. The pdf has tons of info on types of wood and plys.

http://www.hardwoodgroup.com/PDFs/WOOD_SECTION.pdf

I've been to the place they have in Chattanooga, but hadn't purchased anything... just was checking prices.

They have mahogany and cherry, A-1 grade, with both mdf or veneer cores.

Bruce

JC

just google the wood you want and try to find a place close to you.  the MD place is an exapmle.  I use a place out of jersey. Their web site probally doesn't get them much buisness...but they have goos on site stock.

Not sure I would go with the MDF core at those prices.  The last hybrid plywood I used was Mahagany on both sides and LAUAN ply as the core.  LAUAN is very mosture resistant.

Check out these guys... they have a place in Atlanta. The pdf has tons of info on types of wood and plys.

http://www.hardwoodgroup.com/PDFs/WOOD_SECTION.pdf

I've been to the place they have in Chattanooga, but hadn't purchased anything... just was checking prices.

They have mahogany and cherry, A-1 grade, with both mdf or veneer cores. 

Bruce 

there you go....in GA too...awesome catolog

Boy Marvel. That is really a complete catalog.

So A-1 is the the Bomb I guess. The grade that would have least amount of voids.

Now I noticed under the "Core" column...there is the option of:

MDF

Particle Board

veneer

I would assume veneer as the type core I would want?

jc

I would think the veneer core is what you want. That catalog also has a bunch of the bendable stuff, like a couple of the guys have used for making the tractrix horns. They don't have everything at all locations- caveat emptor!

Still pretty neat, and has wonderful explanations of the different grades. I would think the Atlanta location would have a lot of these, or would take delivery for you. Not too much of a drive for you.

Hoped this might help.

Bruce

• Moderators

I am am in the same "boat" as JC, and was wanting to go with an exotic wood ply for bass bins. I don't know if Klipsch will even consider it, but was just looking at what the options would be. Marine ply is the most moisture resistent, best glue properities and comes in beautiful teak or mahogony.

Does anyone know if these other plywoods have a problem with resonance, strength, etc. that woud make it a problem to be used in the construction of a bass bin for a La Scalla Jub?

Travis

I think most will claim that the veneer cores have no voids... but it is still a risk. The mdf cores would not be a problem, but I wouldn't want to use it. Some of the woods are lighter in weight... the hickory/pecan was listed as being pretty heavy... and could be attractive. Seems the denser woods would be the better ones to use.

Bruce

Let me point out that we only see two surfaces of the Jubilee.

One is the front. This is very much like the K-Horn bass bin.

The other is the top. Here we really need the hatch and making that pretty is a problem.

My observation of the two Jubilees at Hope in 2001 were that both the front and top were facades on regular industrial models.

Gil

I would have no problem whatsoever using a sheet with MDF core. It's very stable, and you can be sure it's void-free. I've had problems with veneer cores getting dinged on a void. There's nothing backing the thin veneer, so the effect (on a smaller scale) looks like someone fell through the floor...