Hypothetical..If you could choose a plywood for a Jubilee bass bin

jwc

I am am in the same "boat" as JC, and was wanting to go with an exotic wood ply for bass bins. I don't know if Klipsch will even consider it, but was just looking at what the options would be. Marine ply is the most moisture resistent, best glue properities and comes in beautiful teak or mahogony.

Does anyone know if these other plywoods have a problem with resonance, strength, etc. that woud make it a problem to be used in the construction of a bass bin for a La Scalla Jub?

Travis

Good points Travis. Any 'decorator' panels would need to be void free and have approximately the same density/flex as the original panels. The top is surely well braced, I don't know how many attachment points are on that big front panel.

I'm for just making an option of unfinished birch, then let the user apply veneer of choice. No point in complicating matters too much at the factory. Each pair of Jubilees being a special order might seriously increase price. On our Heritage products it's about a 30% markup for other than standard finishes. I don't think anyone wants that scenario.

Michael.

Yea...I like the tried and true idea. Something Klipsch already has experience with. This thread is for education purposes AND to explore real options for those with bottomless pockets and for shallow pockets.

The late La Scala had nice birch plywood.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/la-scala.aspx

Is there any better 3/4" plywood that could be used that is already shelved or available at Klipsch?

jc

I don't know if we talked about this or not, but I know you're planning on doing a fresh build for your HT and it involves the aesthetics so I thought I'd throw this out there...

Have you considered putting the speakers behind a scrim? If you give yourself enough room you'll have full flexibility with all sorts of speaker arrangements and acoustical treatments without having to worry about the aesthetics all the time.

I don't know if we talked about this or not, but I know you're planning on doing a fresh build for your HT and it involves the aesthetics so I thought I'd throw this out there...

Have you considered putting the speakers behind a scrim? If you give yourself enough room you'll have full flexibility with all sorts of speaker arrangements and acoustical treatments without having to worry about the aesthetics all the time.

Absolutely Mike, the first time Roy played them for us in Hope I was thinking a floor to cieling scrim frame of wall colored cloth would be the bomb[;)]

Scrim? What is that. Like a screen in the corners? I have considered the build in's or a "screen"....just waiting to see what house plan I settle on. If it looks good...I'll let it show.

Kaiser. I would love to go with all hardwoods. It is all up to what Klipsch is "comfortable" doing. They have to use something they know that works. I don't know..... I would consider going for the "best" if they say it will work.

For the record of this thread....I haven't been trying to nail this down real hard with Roy or Klipsch or whomever......I'm just getting a feel from everyone what they think.

If Michael C or Trey or someone wants to unload some wild "working" alterntives that is fine....I'm all ears. This post isn't a shout out though. If in the end...there is only a few reliable options...then I would choose those and be happy.

jc

Absolutely Mike, the first time Roy played them for us in Hope I was thinking a floor to cieling scrim frame of wall colored cloth would be the bomb[;)]

I'm working on a cookie cutter room layout that will involve floor to cieling scrim on every wall to hide all of the acoustical treatment and rear surrounds and all that. The coolest part about it is that you can implement some pretty awesome dramatic lighting behind the scrims.

Scrim? What is that. Like a screen in the corners? I have considered the build in's or a "screen"....just waiting to see what house plan I settle on. If it looks good...I'll let it show.

I suppose it's like a screen....a scrim is see through unless the space behind the scrim is darker than the room you're in. The advantage being that they're more sonically transparent....kinda like a big grill cloth.

Kaiser. I would love to go with all hardwoods. It is all up to what Klipsch is "comfortable" doing. They have to use something they know that works. I don't know..... I would consider going for the "best" if they say it will work.

For the record of this thread....I haven't been trying to nail this down real hard with Roy or Klipsch or whomever......I'm just getting a feel from everyone what they think.

If Michael C or Trey or someone wants to unload some wild "working" alterntives that is fine....I'm all ears. This post isn't a shout out though. If in the end...there is only a few reliable options...then I would choose those and be happy.

jc

Cool Mike[;)]

JW, I just got off the phone with IB and he told me about what you are doing or planning if you go new build. With that said you would do an in-wall and would only need a screen in front of the mains and then from the top of the mains up you would have angled walls. My thoughts originally were based on an existing room but the cheapest build on the Jubs placed behind false angle walls painted to match the adjacent walls so you have incredible sound coming out from behind those panels[;)]

I'm working on a cookie cutter room layout that will involve floor to cieling scrim on every wall to hide all of the acoustical treatment and rear surrounds and all that. The coolest part about it is that you can implement some pretty awesome dramatic lighting behind the scrims.

Isn't hi-fi all about removing every "veil" between the performer and the listener? A scrim might look good, but a purist/audio geek/obsessive person would object to adding a veil... The muffling effect of a single thin grille cloth over a tweeter is very noticeable to me, although squawkers are less affected and woofers probably not at all.

• Moderators

Let me point out that we only see two surfaces of the Jubilee.

One is the front. This is very much like the K-Horn bass bin.

The other is the top. Here we really need the hatch and making that pretty is a problem.

My observation of the two Jubilees at Hope in 2001 were that both the front and top were facades on regular industrial models.

Gil

Gil,

My right speaker will not be in a corner, and entering the room you look right at it, thus at least the exposed "sides" on that right speaker with need matching veneer.

T

True Pat but WAF factor is ZERO to the lucky ones[:o]

I think a pair of Jubs recessed into the corners with horns and ports open would be cool but try to sell that to the better half in her HT, even if you spent the money and built it it's that old her/my thang[6] Mona me, my apologies ladies[:D]

Yeah, a pair of Jubilees with a scrim in front will still sound way better than almost any other speaker anyway. Since I have no wife to deal with, life is simple in many ways. Last night, on the BBC show Shameless, a guy getting married, without being divorced from his first wife (who ran off with another woman years ago), commented, "Bigamy? That's having one wife too many. Monogamy? Same thing." But he was a drunken waster, so what does he know?

I like the LaScala and early Heresy birch raw look as well. I seen a few Khorns that way also.

My favorite is Mahagany plywood. In germany, Mahogany plywood was very popular...a wood with a redish brown tint....made a few khorns from that wood that looked stunning oiled with black grills.

................a wood with a redish brown tint..........

As long as it isn't too red, and Mahogany can be very red. Pink-ish like Rosewood, it is not, depending on stain or oil.

tc

Isn't hi-fi all about removing every "veil"

between the performer and the listener? A scrim might look good, but a

purist/audio geek/obsessive person would object to adding a

veil... The muffling effect of a single thin grille cloth over a

tweeter is very noticeable to me, although squawkers are less affected

and woofers probably not at all.

I think I might argue that for some people aesthetics is a thicker veil...

From an engineering perspective, does the addition of a scrim introduce

problems without feasible solutions? I would argue no and therefore

from a "purist" perspective am not in the least bit concerned. But

really, is a true purist going to be the least bit concerned about

aesthetics? I would certainly hope not.