New, almost Cornwall owner?

HPower

Hi Guys,

Brand new to the forum, so here is goes my 1st... long winded post.

I am very close to pulling the trigger on a pair of Cornwalls and am wondering
what you guys thinks about this particular pair.
The serial numbers are: 8410623/4, so I am guessing these are 1984 models?
They are all original, very clean looking from the pics,  2 owner (I would be #3), oiled walnut, and sort of local (5 hour drive).

The seller is asking $1150 cnd (aprox. $1050usd)

Here is a link for a bunch of pics:

Assuming these are original and unmodified, should I expect to have to do much to bring them back to peak performance?

This will be a huge change for me as I just sold off my entire system a week or so ago, which was comprised of:

Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24...  cd player.
Modwright SWL 9.0 (with tube rectified PS)... preamp
Bryston 14B... amp
PMC OB1... speakers

The only thing I didn't sell was the CD-Pre24 so I will be using it for both cd playback as well as preamp, to
hopefully go with the "new to me" Cornwalls.
Still not sure what I will be getting for an amplifier, perhaps a tubed unit.
The main reason for the selling of my old rig was to downsize the amount of money that I had tied up in the system.
Hence for a new amp, I would like to keep my budget in the $1000 range, probable 2nd hand.

A couple of thoughts I had:

Cary Rocket 88
VTL ST-85
Sonic Frontier Power 1

Any and all suggestions would be welcome, tube or solid state.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum

I took a look at the Cornwall pics. They seem to be in great condition. The price might be on the high side, but, if you don't have to pay for shipping, you can consider that a cost you won't have to bear. I am not too experienced with the many amps available out there in the secondhand world. I am partial to vintage ss, but I do own one HHScott 299D tube integrated amp that I have grown very fond of. There are many helpful people on this forum who would be more than happy to give suggestions on amps and such. I have benefited from their advice a number of times. I have two pairs of Cornwalls 75' and 73' verticals. I enjoy both pair amongst several other models of Klipsch speakers I own.

Tom

Welcome HPower. The price is too much for 1984 Cornwall's! I paid $680 for 1984 oiled Walnut Cornwall I's last year, a friend paid $430 for another pair, all local. With patience I believe you will find a pair closer to home at a much better price.

You said that the speakers were a 5 hour drive; are they located in Canada or the USA?

Klipsch Heritage speakers are scarce in Canada, hence they sell for more than in the USA, but sometimes if you wait, you can get a deal.

I agree that the price is on the high side, especially for the current selling prices, as Cornwalls seem to be selling for a lower price in 2007, compared to 2006, when I purchased mine. I paid $800 US for a very pristine pair of 1978 WO Cornwalls. I was able to drive to the USA to pick them up, but had to pay GST & PST taxes (15%) when I brought them back into Canada. If you are purchasing in the USA, the exchange rate is good, but remember the additional tax.

Later in 2006 I found a pair of La Scalas in Toronto for $1,500, but missed the opportunity to purchase them, then as luck would have it found 1993 FIN. BLK. La Scalas in a local second hand shop for only $570 + GST & PST; a real steal.

My advie is to follow your heart, it's only money, it has no personality or feeling, but the speakers are full of personality and create a tremendous feeling!

Thanks for the feedback so far, keep it coming, especially amp suggestions.

I have not been watching prices for all that long but I have noticed the ebay prices around 500-600... plus what ever shipping costs that would apply.

I am in the Toronto area and rjrbass is correct about the Heritage models being a little harder to find up here.

The ones that I am mentioning are located just this side of Montreal, probably a 5 hour drive for me.

The only other pair that I have seen locally (Ajax, ON) and they are version 1's from the 60's that are in very rough condition... he will take $750cnd.

see link: http://www.royann.ca/sva/Klipsch%20cornwalls.htm

When I compare these two, I would gladly pay the extra $350 to have the very near mint condition ones?

Thanks,

Tom

Newmarket isn't too far from the US (Upstate NY and Michigan) where there often seems to be available Heritage speakers. I'd say use crazedlist to search out opportunities in those two states. (Anyone know what import tarrifs are like?)

Hey jtnfoley,

In the past I have often purchased stuff in the States and just drove back across the border without declaring anything, usually smaller items,

but it might be a little obvious with 2 big 100lb things in the car. [:S]

As rjrbass said, the legit costs would be 15% taxes at the border plus the money exchange... aprox. a total of 25% on top of what you paid for the speakers.

If I was to find a pair just as minty as these ones appear to be in the $600usd range and in driving distance... 600 x 1.25 = $750ish.

Sometimes it is very hard to be patient. [8-)]

Getting Cornwalls is always fun.

I think the price is high, but I am not sure what is typical in your neck of the woods. Where I live, Cornwalls are frequently available (within 100-200 miles) at about 500-750 (US dollars), with condition and finish being the main drivers on the price differential (not a big differential for CWs vs CW2s).

Regarding the the amplifier "thing" . For the money you are talking about, there are many choices (and you can save some cash also). Let me be a heretic. For the last year I have been swapping various solid state amps (I use a "passive" pre-amp). I have tried Hafler DH200, Adcom 555 & 535, Carver TFM 15, Harman Kardon integrated, old (and small) Nakamichi stasis receiver. The most noticeable difference is the noise floor (these are sensitive speakers and will reproduce everything). The second most noticeable thing is that room location has a big impact. The third most noticeable thing is that even with a mid-fi amp (200-400 used) the Cornwalls sound pretty darn good. I would not worry about spending a huge amount on an amp and would not worry about about limiting yourself to tube equipment. Yes, I am a heretic ...

Good Luck,

-Tom

Hey Tom,

Unfortunately, the Cornwalls seem to be few and far between in the Toronto area.

If I decide to go for the ones I mentioned in Montreal I would be driving down on Friday so I have a couple of days make up my mind.

At least if I go look at them in person I have the choice to pass on them if they are not as advertised, loosing only my time and a bit of gas.

Fortunately, my Musical Fidelity cd/preamp is a very quite piece and I am thinking should work well as the front end for the Klipsch.

For solid state, how might one of the First Watt amps work with the likes of the Cornwall, has anybody tried any of these Nelson Pass designs?

Great news that you found them in Canada as there is no border, so no taxes The finish looks great! Remember to bring something, styrofoam or cardboard, to line your cargo area so that you don't hurt them. I used styrofoam as it prevented the speakers from sliding as they might on cardboard. They seemed to sink in the styrofoam, just a little, and stayed in one place for the road trip.

I still remember driving to the USA to get my first Cornwalls. I walked in the persons house saw them and knew that I had to have them, it was love at first sight. We listened to some music from a vintage SS Marantz, loaded them into my van and returned home by about 3:30 A.M. I hated to leave them in the van overnight but need help to unload.

Have a great road trip, and please report back.

Hey Tom,

Unfortunately, the Cornwalls seem to be few and far between in the Toronto area.

If I decide to go for the ones I mentioned in Montreal I would be driving down on Friday so I have a couple of days make up my mind.

At least if I go look at them in person I have the choice to pass on them if they are not as advertised, loosing only my time and a bit of gas.

Fortunately, my Musical Fidelity cd/preamp is a very quite piece and I am thinking should work well as the front end for the Klipsch.

For solid state, how might one of the First Watt amps work with the likes of the Cornwall, has anybody tried any of these Nelson Pass designs?

The First Watt is a very expensive amp and there are probably not that many used ones around. You will need to check but the First Watt may have a special design that precludes using conventional crossovers. There could be some issues there. The Pass designs are varied. A number of years ago he designed some Class A amps that were marketed under Threshold (or a more affordable version under Forte (e.g., the 1A ). Later were the Aleph designs. These do come up for sale (they are a single ended-transistor design). Although they do not have huge amount of power, your Cornwalls (will be) are quite efficient. Incidentally Pass was involved in the design of the first generation Adcom 5x5 amps (plenty of these available) which are a real bargain.

I have not heard these yet, but I would be very curious to try one of the Monarchy amps (perhaps a SM70 Pro) on my Cornwalls. These are available used and the new ones are sometimes severely discounted (they are also a single ended transistor design & employ little feedback).

Good Luck,

-Tom

Hey Tom,

Thanks for jogging my memory, I think you  are right in that the F_  amps are best suited for single driver/no cross-over designs like the Cain's for example.

I have actually owned 2 of the Pass designs that you just mentioned.
I first had a Threshold Stasis 3 and later had an Adcom 555 mkII, I then moved on to the Bryston 14B that I just sold.

I am not familiar with Monarchy but I will give it a google.

Thanks

Welcome, I live about 45 miles from the Peace Bridge that crosses the border from Buffalo N.Y. to Fort Erie Canada. I sold a pair of 800.00 Cornwalls to a guy from Toronto Ontario that paid the 15% duty to take them into Canada. I sold another pair of Cornwalls to a guy from Hamilton Ontario. I agreed to follow him back to Hamilton to help him carry them into his home. The Canadian Custums agents just waved him on through. I dont know whats going on with the Cornwall prices right now. I purchased a pair of K Horns and no longer have room for my last and nicest pair of Cornwalls. I have the Cornwall I's set up in a 10 x 10 bedroom but they never get used anymore. I would like to sell them but I can't justify losing money on them. I drove all the way to Finley Ohio to pick them up. If I could get the 900.00 I paid for them back I would let them go. They are absolutely flawless original 1984 Walnut Oiled. The pristine cane grills that are on them actually came with another pair of Cornwalls. K33 Woofers, K700 metal Mid horns with K 55 drivers, K 77m tweeters, The crossovers are original but I can't remember what model.

Hey tuned4life,

Are you trying to peek my interest? [^o)]

Do you have any pics that I could have a look at?

How would you compare yours to how the ones look at my Montreal pair link?... http://132.205.220.170/audio/Cornwall/

The guy in Montreal will let his go for $1100... plus a 10-12 hour round trip for me.

I have tentative plan to go down to Montreal on Friday.

You are probably only a 2 hour drive from my work in Mississauga.

Tom

Thanks Mark,

I don't know if you had a chance to look at the Montreal ones but they do look pretty minty and I was told

that they are definitely all original.

It is always good to get a referral from a satisfied customer.

I actually sent Doug (tuned4life) a PM, so hopefully he gets back to me so we can have talk.

Cheers

Those Cornwalls in Montreal looked nice, but I would buy Tuned4life's, the price is fair, never mind what others say they paid, that doesn't matter to you. Doug will sell you a good speaker, and it will be worth the money, and in good shape....period. drop him an e-mail, he'll answer, that other pair won't be any better than Doug's. He buys this stuff for himself, not as a business, and he just rotates his stock from time to time.

tunedforlife's Cornwalls would cost you: Conversion $900 US: 938.43 CAD [exchange rate: 1.0427], plus taxes at the border if they stop you, x 1.14 = $1069.81

Here is/was a pair in Ajax, but they are a bit beat up around the edges. The good thing is that they are vertical Cornwalls. $850 Cdn and he has two responses on them, one was me, giving him some advice, but he never got back to me. I don't know if they are still listed or not. http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/63919-klipsch_cornwalls_first_series_all_original/

pics: http://www.royann.ca/sva/Klipsch%20cornwalls.htm

Don