TheBes overslept...WMR for August 20th

Klipsched with Yamahas

Well I'm back yesterday evening from a sojourn through pretty country in Upstate New York. Fishin, swimmin, general lying about, a brewsky or two (dozen), a little reading a little music and a fair amount of driving through some beautiful areas up around and in the Adirondecks.

One little passing though I had during the wekk was how many a year ago I happened to hit a little place called Woodstock for 3 days of mud and fun. Coullnd't help but recalling all the great bands and up in my head pops:

Country Joe and The Fish, "Best Of", cd, rock/folk/country/blues

In typical Fish fashion they still take credit for stopping the war in Vietnam. Hippie Jokesters with an incredible musical sense, these songs not only bring back memories but put a smile on your face and a little bump in your step. Medium recording quality but I suspect the lp would sound better.

Don't worry about participation Tim, they gand be back in droves in the fall . Right now they are most likely on vacation.

Oh and I killed Bambi's mom, but I'm not too upset because she put a big dent in my car.

Welcome back Thebes, the Adirondacks are truly beautiful, God's Country, so much vacant land, so many lakes, just beautiful, not the New York most people think of..............Their loss, not mine.........

Well, I got this disc a couple of weeks ago, and have been playing this quite abit, damn these guys are good. No wonder Keith Richards calls them, His favorite band.......What a musical family the Neville Brothers are......outstanding.

THE NEVILLE BROTHERS : LIVE ON PLANET EARTH.............................CD..........................1994

These songs are from a world tour, and not just one performance, which is too bad, but it is what it is, great music. The Nevilles are Art, Aaron, Cyril, and Charles, and they can lay it down. One point that they keep bringing up...There is only ONE race......the Human Race, right on guys. This is great music, done the only way they know how, New Orleans based rock, reggae, jazzy, gumbo eatin', good times, foot-taping music, that starts out slow, and slowly wins you over. Did I mention these guys can sing, we all know of Aarons voice, he's all over the place, but his brothers can wail too. A couple of selections really stick out to me, Love the One You're With / You Can't Always Get What You Want ; One Love / People Get Ready / Sermon, a fine mixture of music, and it all makes sense. I have known about these guys, have seen them on PBS, but never bought any of their albums, so this was a pleasent surprise. A bunch of talented musicans backing them up, good sound, just a nice disc. I'm glad I own this disc, and it will recieve much play time here. There is only ONE RACE.....THE HUMAN RACE, and it's refreshing to hear Artist's say that, words we should all live by, there is no color in Music. Give this disc a listen or two, and they will get under your skin, and make you smile..Let My People Go / Get Up Stand Up about says it all.............Hey, pass the Gumbo.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to the basics...of not very basic rock. Trilogy by ELP. Hey, it's still good.

Nice choice OT. Trilogy is on my top 5 list of favorite classic rock LPs. Another in my top 5 that's still good......Jethro Tull, Thick As A Brick.

Glad to have you back Mr. Marty.

theband.jpg

The Gourds are an Austin Tx band that I have been lucky enough to see live twice.

I am not sure which CD I have by them but it is great and both live shows were great. They are what I would call modern Honky Tonk Bluegrass. Not only are they brilliant musicians but they are brilliant song writers. If you like bluegrass even just a little these guys will grab you.

http://www.thegourds.com/

NC_tease3.jpg

Back to the basics...of not very basic rock. Trilogy by ELP. Hey, it's still good.

Nice choice OT. Trilogy is on my top 5 list of favorite classic rock LPs. Another in my top 5 that's still good......Jethro Tull, Thick As A Brick.

Glad to have you back Mr. Marty.

Gary, Thick as a Brick one of my all time favorites. I would be interested to know the rest of your top 5.

Thick as a Brick ; Really like it on CD, don't have a break in the music, because of it being on side 1 and 2 . The only bad part about that album was the wait to get it. They took along time getting it out to the public, but wrote about it for months before it was released, delay after delay. It is a must own Jethro Tull for fans. Ian Anderson is ......well, quite unique, wouldn't you say ?????

51C3P6YBXSL._AA240_.jpg

Misfits-Collection(Caroline /Plan 9 Records LP/CD. 1978-? 82 or so) Absolute classic punk/horror rock from Glen Danzig and company. Whenever I'm just running down the road to the store to pick up some snacks etc. I usually throw this on 'cuz I can squeeze in 3 or 4 songs in less than 10 minutes :-) One of my all time faves.

immediate_008.jpg

Small Faces-Small Faces(Repertoire CD. 28 track version. 1967) Garage rock classic from the Summer Of Love. If you like early Who/The Kinks/Nuggets-style rock you'll probably dig this. Steve Marriott sings and plays his *** off this. For those who don't know Rod Stewart and Ron Wood(Stones) later joined and they morphed into The Faces. I'm also listening to a comp called All Or Nothing that is comprised of a bunch of b-sides, non-album tracks and some INCREDIBLE live tracks. Recommended!

esg%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E_southbron_10

ESG-A South Bronx Story(Soul Jazz/Universal Sound CD. 1981-?) Ahead of its time stuff from the Scroggins sisters. Part of the "No-Wave" movement from NY circa early 80's. Recorded by the mighty Martin Hannett of Factory Records fame(Joy Division, New Order, Depeche Mode) so it has his signature bare-bones sound. Skeletal rhythms with a great bass/drums foundation. For fans of Public Image LTD., early Talking Heads, Joy Division, A Certain Ratio, etc. 2 tracks here(Moody and UFO...UFO specifically) are some of the most sampled songs of all-time. I think 20 Public Enemy songs use UFO.

549-PEARL-JAM-Lost-Dogs.jpg

Pearl Jam-Lost Dogs(Epic. 2cd set. 1991-2003) Cool and cheap way to get all those rockin' Pearl Jam b-sides, rare cuts, Christmas fan-club only songs, etc. Yellow Ledbetter & Dirty Frank or on this. Informative liner notes as well. Dust off that flannel shirt and don't bathe for a few days to make it all the more realistic.

OT-WC.jpg

Ozric Tentacles-Waterfall Cities(Phoenix Rising Records. CD. 1999) Electronic/prog-rock with tons of tasty guitar and trippy/psychedelic techno-ish rhythms. Take one part Joe Satriani, one part Steve Hillage & one part techno...throw in some crazy cliche prog artwork and you've got a decent album. This would be a good starting point to get into the Ozrics as they have PLENTY of albums. Chances are that if you like this you'll probably like all of their stuff. That's probably the only negative thing I have to say about them is that it's hard to distinguish one album from another but they're all good. I like this one, Strangeitude & Arborescence the best.