Scaled down LaScala???

longdrive03

I've seen some LS plans using a 10" woofer. I've got some 12" KP-22-E woofers (late model Heresy?) and wonder if I can use them in the LS. I realize these are 8 ohm speakers and the K-33 is an 8 ohm unit. Just want to build a bottom bass unit for my daughters high school football stadium pa system. They only have large shrill mid horns now. I understand the horn loading will increase the resistance of the woofer. Any thoughts? TIA

Just my take, I think building an LS bass bin is enough work that I wouldn't do it less than full size with K33's.

If you want to use the K22's you have on hand, they are from the original Heresy, I'd suggest to build a simple ported cab at the same volume as a Forte or Tangent 400. DrWho did some calculations and confirmed that this is the optimal cab for the K-22 and I think the sound would be significantly more robust than with a scaled down LaScala cab. If desired, cover those puppies with carpet, corners, handles and they'd make a pretty nice bass bin. Woofers could be protected with a 12 inch grill.

If you wanted to use a K33, a "cornscala" bass bin as designed by Bob Crites is about a 2'x2' ported cube with the same interior volume as a Cornwall. That rascal will pump out some bass that's serious as a heart attack.

Great idea for a project you've got going there. It is really hard to sit there in the stands and hear sound so completely inadequate, knowing that it could be so readily improved.

I hesitated but my thoughts are somewhat along the same lines as Daddy Dee.

I built some 10 inch scaled down LS. They sounded okay but very much a step down from the larger horns. I lost interest and gave them to my nephew to use as surrounds. Someday I'll get back to his place to test things.

It is a bit alarming that you're contemplating filling a football field. In my view, even full sized LS, and many of them would find this a challenge. They are pretty much designed to work while sitting is a corner. The corner is 1/8th space. If they're on a pole they are in full space. If you want the same performance you're talking a much bigger horn.

I learned a lesson in high school. The Heathkit speakers sounded good in the bedroom. Then I brought them to the school cafeteria. I thought something was not working at all. In reality, it was just the effect of trying to fill a much bigger room.

Gil

Interesting question. Some bass better than none is what I was thinking, too.

Glad to know you are in LR. If you could get up to Russellville, that's where Bob Crites is located, hear those big rascals. I'd think, but who knows with the demanding venue, that the Cornscala bass bin could be helpful. The sound in that setting has almost only one way to go. I've listened to it with a tweeter and no Mid in the mix and thought it was surprisingly impressive. It could be built as his original 2x2 cube or in a box close to CW dimensions. Also, if you decided to go that route, Bob has a 15 in cast OEM quality woofer for $100.

The bass horn of the LS will project far better in an open arena of some sort. Weren't they originally used for a P.A. application, like one of the political campaigns (Winthrop Rockefeller, Governor of Arkansas in the '50s.)?

Bruce

The LaScala has about 576 sq in of mouth area.

The EV HR9040A high frequency horn has about 706 sq in of mouth area (and sounds pretty good down to 400hz or so).

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Horns/EDS/HR9040A%20EDS.pdf

A JBL 2360A high frequency horn has about 961 sq in mouth area (and may be crossed at 35hz with a JBL 2485 phenolic driver).

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/components/2360Aser.htm

The LaScala has very limited bass as it is. If you make the mouth area even smaller, expect even less bass (as it reverts back to a large driver in a very small sealed box below the Fc defined by its taper rate and mouth area).