Quicksilver and Klipsch?

HPower

Hey guys,

Well I went a head and bought tuned4life's Cornwalls... Thanks very much Doug, I am sure I will really enjoy these.

Now I need a new amplifier.

How do the Quicksilver amps work with Klipsch, in particular, the Mid Monos?

Will the 50-60 watts do the Corns justice?

I see a pair on Agon for $1175...?

I think I would like to try I would like to try tubes 1st but am open to all and any suggestions.

Thanks

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum HPower. The mid monos should make the new speakers sing. I have the QS horn monos pushing LS bass bins (1" mdf) and Altec horns and drivers. You would have twice the wattage as I do. QS is known for reliability and good service. Heck...most of the time when you call QS you actually will get the owner, Mike Sanders, answering the phone.

Thanks Tarheel,

If you look at my 1st post on my other thread "
New, almost Cornwall owner?
" you will see the system that I just came from and I am

very new to the "hi efficiency world", so I am a little out of it as far as knowing what is required for my new Cornwalls.

Link to Agon Mid Monos:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1192741408

Would you think that is a good price for a pair of Mid Monos?

HP......Looks like you will have to get on a list for those amps (sale pending). There are some mini mite QS amps for $710 on Audiogon which are a decent deal. I believe they are 25 wpc. What is the efficiency rating for Cornwalls? My amps at 25 wpc push my hybrid LS very well...way more than I need. Other wise sit tight and wait for some QS mids on Audiogon. BTW......I also use a QS Full Function preamp that is almost ten years old......happy with all my QS gear. Recently did some tube rolling on the preamp and picked up some very nice nos tubes. I got two tubes from 1953 and one from 1959. Seven in all including mullards, raytheon, matsushita, rca, and ge.

Go to the QS web site at quicksilveraudio.com. Go to the link for the mini and mid and it will take you to Stereophile magazine reviews. Good reading.

Happy hunting.

Cornwall II Specs

Frequency
response-------38Hz-20kHz±3dB

Power
Handling-----------100 watts maximum continuous (1000 watts peak)

Sensitivity--------------101dB
@ 1 watt/1 meter

Nominal
Impedance--------8 ohms

Tweeter------------------K-79-K
1" (2.54cm) Polymer diaphragm compression driver

High Frequency
Horn------90°x40° Exponential Horn

Midrange-----------------K-57-K
1.5" (3.81cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

Mid Frequency
Horn-------90°x40° Exponential Horn

Woofer-------------------K-34-E
15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone

Enclosure
Material-------Medium density fiberboard (MDF)

Enclosure
Type-----------Bass reflex via front-mounted port

Dimensions---------------35.75"
(90.8cm) x 25.25" (64.1cm) x 15.5" (39.4cm)

Weight-------------------90
lbs (40.9kg)

I think these specs are accurate... 101dB
@ 1 watt/1 meter.
Without the chance to try either amp, I would be more comfortable going with the 50-60 watts in the Mid Mono.
I sent the seller an email asking him to contact me in the event that his sale pending falls through.
I will for sure check out the QS link and reviews.
Thanks

Nice unit.

How about a little info about your room, how far back off the speakers you sit, and how loud you like to listen. Most aren't using as much power as they think they are, and I think you'd be surprised at what 25 watts can do with a sensitive speaker. The QS Mini Mite monoblocks would undoubtably sound very nice, and at the price this guy is asking with the cool 6L6 tubes -- well, I think you should consider trying them. Also very easy to get your money back out of them if it doesn't work out.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1192233913

For now, I have the Cornwalls in my living room on the short wall about 3.5 feet out from the deepest part of the bay window that is the end wall.

As the room is only 12' wide and about 18' deep the speakers are about 6-7 feet apart and only 10" from the side walls.

The listening position would be about 8 feet from the speakers.

Our house is an open concept split level so this living room is pretty much open to the rest of the lower level... dining room, kitchen, and then down

about 5 steps to the family room.

I listen at medium levels usually (the wife may have a different opinion) and once in a blue mood at live venue levels.

Mostly rock, folk, blues, country, a little jazz, no classical or pop/top 40.

Just coming from my 87db PMC's with a 500 watt Bryston, I am still trying to get my head around the idea of just a handful of watts. [:o]

Sorry guys.....you will have to speak up.....little hard of hearing. I think we agree on the mini mites that they will be ample enough. 101 db at one meter/one watt.....heck you could use a flea powered SET amp. HP if you don't like the minis...sell them...but I think at $710 you will be happy. I went from 185 watts per channel to 25 and never missed the other 160 watts.

Duke.....probably never had it over 2-3 watts. Went nos in the preamp....like the change.

Didn't consult Mike.....you know what he thinks about tube rolling. On the other hand he made the Horn Monos with the ability to do just that. Got the idea from a guy selling a FF preamp on audiogon a while back. He did all nos tubes and upgraded the coupling capacitors to TRT Dynamicaps; the RIAA phono EQ caps to Hovland Musicaps; Cathode caps on the front end of the phonostage to Rubycon Black Gates. Like Jessica Simpson said "I don't know what all that means but I want it". btw the seller of the 8 year old preamp got $1450 for it....don't know what all the parts cost?

Duke ment to ask you if your pre uses a 5AR4 retifier tube or 2 6x4s? I never pulled the case off my preamp until my new tubes got here. What a surprise....no 5AR4 tube as the QS literature and website states. My pre was an early one and Mike must have changed from the 2 6x4s to a 5AR4 at some point.