Quicksilver and Klipsch?

HPower

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny.....when you order tubes from QS they only list 6 tubes as a replacement kit. Your pre and mine....both early production units have 7. I have 2 mullards coming to replace the 6x4s. The previous owner of my pre had already replaced all the soviet and chinese tubes and then I replaced all of his. Got extras.... if you ever need some let me know.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for  all the feedback so far.

I sent off an email to Quicksilver asking what they thought about the Mid Monos matching up with my new Cornwalls.

Mike actually got back to me very quickly and he said that the Mid's would work fine, but in his opinion, he thought
that the Horn Mono Amplifier 25 watts, $1695/pair would be the best match.

He also thought that 25 watts should enough to drive the Corns.

After reading the discription on the Horn Mono I see where Mike is coming from in regards to that amp and hi efficient loudspeakers.

At $1695, they are a little out of my budget for brand new ones, so it is either take a chance on those Mini Monos or wait for a pair
of Horns to come up on Agon.

I wonder how often the Horn Monos might surface in the used market?

I see them from time to time on audiogon and actually bought mine there 2 years ago. The idea that Mike developed the horn monos for himself and to use with horns got my interest. What he did with the gain issue to keep the first watt clean indicates to me that he gave these amps some thought. These amps are dead quiet between cuts.

What can you expect to pay? I got mine for $900 and I think that was a steal. Expect to pay $900-1200 depending on the age and condition. They are self biasing and a tube rollers dream.

Thanks Tarheel,

I think that might be my plan, if I can be patient.
The old Yamaha receiver that I am using right now (just to make something come out of the Cornwalls) sucks.

If you or anybody sees a pair before I do, give me a nudge and let me know.

Thanks

For now, I have the Cornwall's in my living room on the short wall about 3.5 feet out from the deepest part of the bay window that is the end wall.

As the room is only 12' wide and about 18' deep the speakers are about 6-7 feet apart and only 10" from the side walls.

The listening position would be about 8 feet from the speakers.

Our house is an open concept split level so this living room is pretty much open to the rest of the lower level... dining room, kitchen, and then down

about 5 steps to the family room.

I listen at medium levels usually (the wife may have a different opinion) and once in a blue mood at live venue levels.

Mostly rock, folk, blues, country, a little jazz, no classical or pop/top 40.

Just coming from my 87db PMC's with a 500 watt Bryston, I am still trying to get my head around the idea of just a handful of watts. [:o]

Since you have to double power to achieve a 3dB level increase, then your PMC's would have required 256 watts to achieve 111 dB and 512 for 114 dB. The CW's are rated at 101 dB so it will only take them 8 watts to produce 110 dB, 16 watts or 113dB and a whopping 32 watts for 116 dB.

I have a pair of Cornwall II's and Zu Druids (the Druids are also rated @ 101 dB) in a room that is 12" 3" x 12" 8" . Yesterday I bought a small hybrid amp that came as part of a ipod rig of all things, but I bought it for the amp. The system is called the HCT-100 and came with the integrated amp, iPod dock and two small speakers, but after doing some research I found the amp under several different names (the Vuum is identical to my rig):

http://www.vuumaudio.com/products.htm

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue24/dared_mp5.htm

http://www.fat-man.co.uk/docs/product/itube_1.htm

It's a 15 watt hybrid unit (tube pre/mosfet amp) and you wont believe how good it sounds or how loud it plays with either pair of speakers. I couldn't believe it. Turn it up half way and it will run you out of the room. And I like to listen to my music fairly loud. Robust full bass, warm liquid mids, and highs that are soooo sweet.

I like the way this little amp sounds in this room better than my main rig which has a Arcam pre and Acurus A-200 amp. I doubt it would be enough power for my main rig as it's in a big room with open floor plan and high ceilings. However, if the amplifier section were also tube powered it would be that much stronger. Bottom line is that I could easily get by with 50 watts of tube power in the big room, probably even less.

I was even kicking around the idea of buying two of these and bi-amping the CW III's. Hope this help.

Hi Jack,

I have looked at the Fat-Man version before and have been thinking that would be a great unit for my daughter.
The kids are all about the Ipod and I thought something like what you just got would be a great intro into a higher fidelity set -up.

Ya, I understand the relationship between doubling the power to get 3db more output from a speaker but I am still having trouble
convincing myself that 25 watts will be enough.

I spoke to Mike at QS today and he actually has a couple of sets of used amps at he factory, a set of Horn Monos and a set of 
Mid Monos.
Both are basically brand new models that have been returned for very slight cosmetic flaws, hence Mike is offering them
to me at reasonably attractive pricing.
Mike thinks the Horns will most likely do the trick for the Cornwalls but I am still wondering if I should pay the extra for 
the 50 watts in the Mid Monos.

I will sleep on it tonight and give Mike a call tomorrow morning to put my order in... which ones to get?

Well,

It looks like I will be answering my own question about this time next week.

I called up Mike at QS on Tuesday to say yes I will take the returned pair of Horn Monos that we had talked

about the day before but much to my dismay he said they just got sold.

Ah $#!T, now what to do as I had convinced myself that the Horns would be just the ticket for the Cornwalls.

Mike says, I still have the returned pair of Mid Monos here and I can look after the shipping for you.

I said OK, it is still a little more than I was budgeting for, lets do it.

So by next Tues. or Wed. I should have pair of Mid Monos with chrome chassis hooked up the the Klipsch.

This is exciting stuff... it will be hard to wait. [:D]

Well,

It looks like I will be answering my own question about this time next week.

I called up Mike at QS on Tuesday to say yes I will take the returned pair of Horn Monos that we had talked

about the day before but much to my dismay he said they just got sold.

Ah  $#!T, now what to do as I had convinced myself that the Horns would be just the ticket for the Cornwalls.

Mike says, I still have the returned pair of Mid Monos here and I can look after the shipping for you.

I said OK, it is still a little more than I was budgeting for, lets do it.

So by next Tues. or Wed. I should have pair of Mid Monos with chrome chassis hooked up the the Klipsch.

This is exciting stuff... it will be hard to wait. [:D]

Well, that could have been me that bought the Horn Mono's.  I was working with mike via email for some time before the thread started and didn't know those were held for you. I apologize and would be glad to send them to you for what I paid.

Hey Tarheel...

I have tried different tubes. I replaced the stock Tesla EL-34's with Sovtek 6550's for a few hundred hours...now using a matched quad of RCA blackplate 6L6's (all manufactured in the 13th week of 1960). The 6L6's blow away all the others I've tried thus far. But I think the most audible difference in the amps was when I replaced the stock Ei 12DW7's with Telefunken 7247's.

I recently totally retubed the pre as well....now using an Amperex Bugle Boy (treble clef) 5AR4...2 Sylvania 12FQ7's...2 Telefunken 12AX7's, and a Telefunken 12AU7. Big difference!

Hal

Hey nu2toobs,

That is a very kind offer but It was my fault for not jumping on them right away.

I delayed a bit because I was trying to decide if my Cornwalls would be better of with the 25 watts of the Horns or the 50 watts of the Mids.

The Horns probably would have been good with the Corns, but now with the Mids I am sure I will not have any concerns with power.

The Mids may not be as quite as the Horns but hopefully that will not be an issue.

The Horns should be even better suited to your La Scalas, let us know how the combo works out.

Congrads on the new amps, when do you expect them to arrive?

Tom

Hey Hal.....good swap indeed....the stock tubes are screaming to be replaced. Got a note from the postal service on my front door that they had attempted to deliver a package today. I am guessing its two nos mullards from a seller in Argentina! That will complete the preamp retube. Still using kt-77s in the horn monos. Yeah I replaced the 12dw7 with a Jan/Phillips tube. Learned that JAN stands for joint army navy milspec tubes. Its all good fun[:)]

Keep in touch.

Hey nu2toobs,

That is a very kind offer but It was my fault for not jumping on them right away.

I delayed a bit because I was trying to decide if my Cornwalls would be better of with the 25 watts of the Horns or the 50 watts of the Mids.

The Horns probably would have been good with the Corns, but now with the Mids I am sure I will not have any concerns with power.

The Mids may not be as quite as the Horns but hopefully that will not be an issue.

The Horns should be even better suited to your La Scalas, let us know how the combo works out.

Congrads on the new amps, when do you expect them to arrive?

Tom

I got them yesterday. After I looked, I ordered them before your post on Monday. I haven't listened yet. I'm in Vegas right now so I might need to run over and listen to the 60th anniversary Khorns.

Finally got to listen to them and they're very warm sounding with mucho bottom end compared to the Sophia Baby.  The imaging is spectacular.  The center peices were broken off two of the tubes, so it was kind of a challange to align properly.   

These thing are "chunks", man they are heavily built.