Help - FM Radio Interference

Mr. RF62

Hi All,

I have a problem with some radio interference and its driving me nuts. I have a Yamaha receiver and the signal is coming in loud and strong, but so is this high pitched ringing. Somewhere around the 16kHz - 20kHz range. I'd like to eliminate it if possible. Does someone have an idea.

Help would be appreciated.

THX.

Is it associated with the station you are listening to? or all stations? and if so, is it there when you are somewhere on the "dial" when there is no station tuned in?

Also, try replacing the antenna (don't laugh...) with a single piece of silver solder wire about 6' long, connected to only one of the 75 ohm screw/lock on antenna jacks and see if that eliminates the high freq sound. If it does, then you need a better antenna wire, etc.

Thanks guys for the help, nothing seems to be helping, it may be something in the apt. building that is doing it, thought there would be some kind of filter i could purchase, but different antennas aren't helping, I've tried just about anything except ones you'd see from pennsylvania...lol.

Still hearing the high pitched ring.

I may have missed it -- did you say whether this noise is on all stations, or just one that you've tried? Be sure you have tried everything that Gil McDermott suggested in your thread in the other forum.

Also, is the high-pitched ringing sound only on FM (I assume it's FM, not AM you're listening to?), or is it on other sound sources like CDs?

You could be right about something in the building. If it's a high-rise, have they changed ("upgraded") the antenna or wiring system recently?

Aluminum foil is supposed to reduce RFI (radio frequency interference), so I suggest you take a piece of Reynolds wrap, fold it over a few times, and thoroughly cover the backside of your receiver or tuner with the thickened aluminum. Wrap it tightly around ALL your input and output jacks, including any grounding screw, input-output jumpers if you have them, and inputs from your phono if you have a pair of those. Tightly cover ALL the unused jack openings, too!

RFI is very mysterious and sometimes requires a lot of trial-and-error work, which frequently still doesn't work.

Larry

Aluminum foil is supposed to reduce RFI (radio frequency interference), so I suggest you take a piece of Reynolds wrap, fold it over a few times, and thoroughly cover the backside of your receiver or tuner with the thickened aluminum. Wrap it tightly around ALL your input and output jacks, including any grounding screw, input-output jumpers if you have them, and inputs from your phono if you have a pair of those. Tightly cover ALL the unused jack openings, too!

Larry

Couldn't wrapping metal foil around output jacks cause some bad short circuits?

Couldn't wrapping metal foil around output jacks cause some bad short circuits?

Well, it didn't when I had to do it to the back of my previous preamp in order to kill a bad case of RFI.

I think the only shorts would be between the shields of RCA the jacks, and those are usually connected to each other anyway by being grounded to the back of the chassis. I suppose there are exceptions.

He wouldn't want to short the "hot" pins, of course, but those have always been out of sight in my experience because they're plugged in and so can't be reached by the foil.

All XLR connections should be out of reach of the foil, but he shouldn't try to shove the foil between the body of the connector and the back of the unit.