Old K'horn photos being posted - finally

GWSmith

Beautiful Job Gary!

When I built my Wallrus I ended up buying the new Atlas and CT125's from Bob. Best decision I made. I also ended up getting a pair of the CW1526 cast frame K-33 replacements from Bob. I love my speakers. Not nearly as pretty as yours.

You'll have a fresh pair of K's for pennies.

Congrats, but now I've got to tear mine down and clean them up like you did or I'll feel like a bum!!

Harry

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks HarryO...

Everyone including yourself has been VERY kind concerning my little `restoration' on these K'Horns... Just wished I could get the grills a bit whiter, but alas, they are what they are [;)] Do you have photos of your speakers? I would love to see the project, also to get an idea of how they sound? Speaking of grills etc. I am still wondering if the white was a bit uncommon? I have not seen another pair quite like these as most grills are black or a deep brown color...

Good going on Bob's CT-125's AND the cast frame woofers. We were just emailing each other and he described the lower resonance frequency from the cone of the new 1526 driver vs. the early style. HEY, I wonder if the model # means..............15" and 26Hz. ?? Bet I'm correct[:)]

Ok, stay tuned, it won't be long now before these K'Horns are all fixed up and sounding as they should and you will all !!

With reguards,

Gary

Hi there Harry.

Thanks for those photos! I'll bet they make pretty good low end, seems like a large cabinet. What is the cubic footage of their interior space? Afterall, that cabinet is all about the bass [;)]

Oh, what about the xovers, are they a Klipsch type? Show them ? Thanks again.

......Gary

PS. Could not miss the Klipsch logo! [:D]

Gary,

I had no other options other than to build a speaker to fit the front room in the ratty little apartment I had to take across the street from my fathers' assisted living home. The Cornwall is my favorite sounding speaker and in order to get a speaker I could actually make room for I had to build what I wanted. Being an apartment volume levels were a concern also. I tried to eleminate the large footprint by going up instead of out. They ended up 48" tall, 20" wide and deep. The good old B crossovers were used with a slight cap modification.(Just dropped in a new pair of the Crites "B"s a couple of weeks ago). These are all Crites components now except for the K-600 mid horn. They all match extremely well. IMHO a definite top notch line by Bob and an improvement over the original Cornwall components. (I don't get nuttin' for saying this stuff)

They will make all the bass I need at low volume with tubes so I don't disturb my neighbors late at night. I can listen at a very pleasing level without losing any music due to low volumes. They can rock with the best of them also when volume levels aren't a concern. These were actually taken to a nightclub and used in a live music environment for a night when a friend fried his speakers on stage. They worked out well and cranked at unbelievable volume for about 6 hours. They sounded killer pushed by a couple of thousand watts of big Crowns and held up just fine. Being so efficient they didn't need as much power as the JBL monitors they were using and sounded so much clearer to everyone. I received a few compliments on the sound quality.

They're "Plain Jane's" and kinda ugly but it's all about the sound for me. I found a pair of the logos this week as I was packing up some of my "junk" to move back to the house and glued them on. I'm definitely a Klipsch fan. (Paul designs anyway) Heritage only for me.

I like the sound of these so much I'm building a false Khorn using the Wallrus "innards" with a false Khorn cabinet using marine grade teak veneer. I'm still trying to figure out a grill system to hide the woofer and ports though. I've been thinking about a wrap around grill cloth like the top hat grill.

Your Khorns came out great. Beautiful grain patterns and extreme detail on your part bringing them back up to showcase condition. You've made a great restoration project a lot of fun to watch. Like I said, I'll feel like a bum if I do anything less with my big K's. I'm ashamed mine are so dusty from just sitting around. Even if I haven't been using them for a couple of years now.

Thanks,

Harry