Old K'horn photos being posted - finally

GWSmith

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank YOU guys!

You are most kind [:$] Tonight, I decided to try one of my Telarc CDs that I have not played since I moved to my new home here. In this large raised ranch, the music room (where the K'Horns live) is under the kitchen and formal dining room. This CD is of organ and orchestra, both Rhineberger and Dupre' at the Royal Albert Hall - Michael Murray at the console... Rich and full. At about the 10:00 O'clock position on my Marantz (about 15 watts per channel), the kitchen stove burners were buzzing like hell, and the 32' pedal was giving a foot massage from the stone tiled floor underfoot! IMPRESSIVE! Who would have ever thought that this much bass could be had LONG before subwoofers came into existence?!???? This with only ONE K'Horn loading the corner walls!! Can't wait to get the left channel wall built!

I'm loving this `new' sound of HORNS !! Back in the early days, I disliked ANYTHING that was horn loaded, It sounded harsh to my ears, but I'm not feeling that way anymore, maturing ears perhaps?? [:)]

Keep the replies coming!

.....Gary

Glad you got those in Gary, K-Horns look great! I've been watching over your thread since you started it, and it very obvious that you put much time and care into this project. I couldn't wait till you were able to get your replacement tweeters in, and report back how they sounded. I'm happy for you that everything worked out. Hurry up and get that left channel wall built so you can report back on the complete awesomeness of your beauties.

regards,

Andrew

THIS is an IMPORTANT detail that must be mentioned. ATTENTION Bob Crites.. The mounting holes on the CT-125 are indeed the same as the original K-77 in location, HOWEVER, the holes on the horn flange are too SMALL, at least to mate with the threaded hardware on my K'Horns. So, if this is the case for you, I used a 1/4" drill to match the original sized holes, drilled and then went ahead and mounted the new tweeters without a problem...

I believe that your original tweeters had the holes drilled out by a previous owner. Bob's castings match my newer, square magnet tweeters perfectly, and installed in my La Scalas without a hitch with the original screws. Took all of 15 minutes to swap out tweeters in both cabinets. I thought that all of the horns were mounted from behind with screws. It looks like yours mount differently.

Nice restoration, though, they really look nice.

Bruce

The diameter of the screw holes on my CT125 tweeters matched the holes on the original K-77 tweeters just fine. I also thought the horns were usually mounted from behind with wood screws. The extra diameter of the CT125 tweeters did require me to make a 1/4" relief in the lid of the La Scalas, but with the lids being 3/4" thick, it was no big deal. The improved sound was definitely worth it.

Thank you, THANK YOU everyone! You very nice comments, certainly make all the work and photography worth it! At least you are enjoying the process just as I did...

To note, I am not sure about the mounting machine screws for the original K-77 tweeters..

---Marvel--- the machine screws ares the SAME that holds K-55 horn as well, and too large a diameter for the mounting holes on CT-125's, it just would not fit...

I'm sure its all original, as the grillwork has never been removed, ie, staples around the front baffle look totally untouched, and the only way to have made any changes to the mounting hardware. Strange though... Guess mine are made with different threaded rods then they use in more recent models ??

But, at any rate... I brought my Adcom 545 home tonight and will set that up on Saturday for some listening tests. Its only 100 watts a side, so it should be ok with the K'Horns for now. Let you all know how they sound.

Small bit of history for you all....

I ended up buying the Adcom instead of the NAD amp because it had a wider soundstage then the NAD amp which I so badly wanted instead, as it matched the NAD preamp it had just bought. But, after a good 30 minutes of going back and forth with the same music excerpt (Strauss - Four Last Songs), the Adcom sounded like stereo, the NAD amp sounded like MONO.... go figure! I had to trust my ears and NOT my brand loyalty on that one [;)]

Again, thanks everyone that has responded, really appreciate all of your kind notes!

Kind regards as always,

Gary