How to use PC as recording device?

Coytee

My dad just called...

His wife (not my mother) is going to take some classes. She wants to somehow record the class and then be able to listen to it later in her car.

Their thinking was some kind of portable CD recorder and then some kind of CD playback over the car (probably using the cassette insert with wire to a cd player)

I got to thinking... they don't have a recorder...do'nt have the cassette thingy... but she DOES have a laptop.

She's got a Dell 6400 and part of its specs are:

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_6400?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

SoundBlaster® compatible voice and music sound card

Audio controller: Sigmatel STAC9750 AC'97

24-bit stereo digital-to-analogue

14-bit stereo analogue-to-digital

I thought...why not just buy a mic, plug it into the Dell and use IT to record (since she'd probably have it with her anyway?)

Later, she could hit replay on her way home and use the PC speaker (built in). She's not adament on using her car stereo for playback...just thought that was how she HAD to listen to it.

Using her PC for both was all the sudden...kind of interesting to them.

So... if all you have is that laptop and want to record, I'd imagine you'd have to get some kind of mic? maybe some software??

There is some recording software in WinXP Home

All Programs --> accessories ---> entertainment ---> sound recorder. I don't see a setting for sample rate or bit depth, but maybe there is some adjustment.

You should search the web for freeware. Of course that might get more complicated than your step mum needs.

Gil

• 1 month later...

I tried working with audacity before. It has a large following, as mentioned above, in the open source community. I was trying to capture the line in from my cassette deck (tape 1 pre-amp) and record line in to my sound card (tape 2 pre-amp). Just wasn't where I felt it should be. But caveat, I am still trying to learn all the ins and outs of audacity.

I also, on the advice of a friend, got of copy of Total Recorder (http://www.highcriteria.com/) Cheap version is $18. Picked up stream real easily and allows file type conversion on the fly. Just info for thought.

My advice? Bad idea - forget about it.

I taped a whole semester of con. law. The problem is logistics. It takes an hour to listen to an hour lecture - it'll never happen. She should take, beg, borrow, or steal notes. She'll never have time to listen to the tapes - especially when she's trying to cram for exams. BTDT.

James

A cheapy $10 mic will work just fine.

Windows recorder however will not work because they limit the recording lengths to something like 90 seconds - I think it's some anti-piracy influence or something (so lame).

Audacity isn't a bad program, in fact I use it quite frequently, but I can see it being very confusing and way overkill. However, I can't think of any good freeware audio capturing device. If I come across something then I'll be sure to post it.

For what it's worth, you might also have her look into one of them cheapy MP3 recorders - my grandpa uses one for recording his interviews (he's a sportswriter in his retirement) and has been quite successful with it. If I recall correctly it wasn't all too expensive and it's extremely easy to use. The devices are nice because the mic and speaker are built-in....so really you don't need to fanagle with connecting to other stuff. However, if she wanted it louder in her car, she could connect the tape adapter into the headphone output and get the playback through the speakers in the car. Plugging just one thing in shouldn't be too much hassle.

You know, sometimes the proposed whiz bang solution is just10 or 20X more hassle than the conventional solution.

Just use a standard cassette recorder (for archival purposes) or a miniature Olympus SS recorder (for shorter near term storage) and sit near instructor. Playback is as simple as using a cassette playback in the vehicle or simply using an single ear bud headset in the car.

First question is whether or not the instructor will allow her to record the class. Some won't allow it.

And the cassette recorder or cheap digital recorder is much easier to deal with, as Mark says. The easier it is, the more likely she will use it and get something out of it.

Bruce