Any Corvette folks on the Forum (waaaaaay off topic!)

RFP

Yesterday, while I was having the oil changed in my wife's car, there was a lady there driving a 1995 [screamin' red] Corvette... less than 40,000 miles and it looked brand new, inside and out.

I've never really been a fan of the "C4" Corvettes, but after looking over that car yesterday, I decided that I may have been a bit hasty in my opinion.

If there are any for-real Corvette people out there (either owning or "just wishing for"), you are bound to know more about this than I do. So, what say ye? C4S any good? Now, don't go off on me about the wonders of the C6s ('specially the C6, ZO6)... that just ain't happening for me.

Cheers to all...

Rob

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

www.corvetteforum.com is a start...C4s are great (a buddy has a 1992)...you will have the great LT-1 engine...but you will also have the Optispark...Optispark has caused some problems (may even have been fixed for the most part by 1994)...you should have 300 some Horse Power, and 330 Torque I believe...plenty fun...do you fit in one???...Corvettes can be fun and for the right price...a blast!...you'll get decent mileage too!

Bill

...sorry...one more time...;-)

Relatively inexpensive to buy, run, repair

American V8 Muscle

ZF 6 speed can be expensive to repair (so get the Auto)

Check the rear gearset...2 different ones for the Auto, the 2.sumthin is a bit weak compared to the 3.sumthin...

that clamshell hood opens up so you can work on the WHOLE engine area!

Bill

Ever consider a C-5 ? Good prices, super Cars............C-4's are nice, alot of them out there, depends on what your looking for. I owned a C-3, and to be totally truthful, if I ever got another Corvette it would be a C-5 or newer. Until then I'll struggle through with my 911.......[:D]

I agree with Oldbuckster and Jacksonbart,

Try to go for a C5. I bought one for my wife with the hopes that she would like the car, because I need my truck most of the time. I just take it out and play with it when the mood arises.

I had a hard time fitting in a C4, it's underpowered, rough riding , and doesn't have any road feel.

The C5 has about the right amount of power for it's weight and tire size. The ride is much better then the C4. My wife likes it, and it's her daily driver. These Vettes arn't like they used to be. I got my first one in 1971, (a 1966). In those days you had to know how to drive to keep them on the road.

You can choose between 3 and 4 driving modes. Traction control, the computer uses the brakes and engine speed to help you keep the car stright. Competive driving mode, uses only the brakes to help you stay stright. You still can control the engine speed. Off, the computer does nothing. Hang on,and you better know how to slide a car under control. If you gas it too hard with the front wheels turned at all, be ready to correct it. This gets tricky if you pull out to pass someone and floor it at the same time. But, I tend to like to wiggle my rear end in front of people. I just tell my wife to leave the traction control on, and the car will drive it's self.The C5 has plenty of power in the turns, I think it's lacking in power in the stright aways. I bought my two sons GTO's, a 2005 and a 2006. The GTO's have the LS2 engine which has 50 more HP then the LS1 in the C5. With the GTO's 400 HP , they pull away from me at times. That is when they pick the right gear againts my automatic. Otherwise, the wider tires on the Vette hook up just fine.

I'm getting the urge to go for the C6, I know a few people with them and this model has again improved ride, power, and handling over the C5. I want that 50 extra HP and paddle shifting with the automatic. That will give my wife the automatic and maybe the paddle shift will give me more control over the car like a stick. The paddle shift control came in 2006. In 2008 the C6's will get another 30 HP. The Vette is really turning into a nice drive. The 2008 will also have alot better road feel do to changing the steering system. This is also something that the Vette's have been lacking.

Tires will last you 12,000 miles if you behave, they are the sticky compond type. They will cost you $1,700.00 to replace. I have 25,000 miles on the car and I'm getting ready to put my third set of tires on it. You have to use run flat tires, there is no spare tire. You don't want to carry the extra weight. It's also cool to be able to push a button and check your tire pressure. Batteries will last 1-1/2 to 2 years, the darn computer is always running.

Sorry to run on here, but this is one of my other interest.

I have an 06 C6 and have yet to have a battery issue, but your right if you leave the car sit to long it will go dead much quicker then other cars. I did notice begining with 06 they stopped hooking up the hood light. I just take the caution when I don't plan on driving it for a few months to hook it up to a trickle charger. I would say get one for a C5 or C6 if you have winter weather or plan on not driving for a month or more.

Q-man - The paddle shifter are nice. Not as quick as a true shifter, though I thought the C5 manual I drove to take a little more effort than I would have liked. I hear they are quicker for the 2008s. I would love have the extra power, better steering feel and the two stage exhaust of an 08 as well, such is life, something better is always comming out next year. I will say the car is plenty quick for me and without electric nannys you will, as you say bring the back right around without the front wheels being straight under heavy acceleration. Its deceptively quick though because it is so smooth and the exhaust is pretty muted. One reason I would like the two stage exhaust, to not only add more power but keep engine quiet in normal driving but to also hear the roar when really hitting it.

Easy now, not many older Vettes would get bye the Porsche, I get better gas mileage, and it's a Musclescar too, 220 horses in a 2300 lb. car, Yeah baby, eat my dust !!!!!!!!!!........ferrin' stuff indeed........C-5 on up, the only Vettes worth owning, if your into driving, if your into braggin', get an older one, I love cars.............

I bought a '71 Sting Ray back in 1977 and I was never done fixing it, until I sold it in 1979. It's good to hear that the new ones are so much better. Between the reliability issues and the snaky handling (I prefer to be the one choosing when the ride gets exciting, not the car), I came to prefer the Impala and then Caprice police cruisers that I drove from '85 until '96. They were nearly as fast as that old 'Vette and the handling was way more predictable. They attracted a lot less attention from the police, too...

The 2008 C6 does sound like a really nice car.

Hi,

I am a life long Corvette fan, have had 4 of them . The C4 is my least favorite. Not that they are bad just that the others (in my opinon) are better. If you are a big man (like I am) there is no room in the car, the way it is designed the seats sit down in the chassis and there is just no way to get comfortable unless you are a small person.

Look at the C5's, thay are a much much better can in every respect and and there lots of them at good prices now. My last car was a 2001, Millinieum Yellow, coupe and It was a winner.

Good luck, the search is half the fun.

Dee

No 1983...except that one at the museum and maybe one other that has never reemerged...agree...1992 and up is the LT-1 engine...C5 is a big step up in build quality and comfort but makes the price rise a bit...I don't think you can find a nice C5 for $10K whereas I see later made C4s in that price range and are well worth it...the GTO mentioned is a hoot too!...[:D]

Bill

Easy now, not many older Vettes would get bye the Porsche, I get better gas mileage, and it's a Musclescar too, 220 horses in a 2300 lb. car, Yeah baby, eat my dust !!!!!!!!!!........ferrin' stuff indeed........C-5 on up, the only Vettes worth owning, if your into driving, if your into braggin', get an older one, I love cars.............

OB.... I truly envy your Porsche!

In my younger years (!), I owned three Porsches... one at a time, the last - and certainly the best - being a 1977 911S. I was deeply involved in Porsche Club of America activities and raced the car in club events for a couple of years. The first year, I did "so - so", but the second year, I managed to win the "First in Class" trophy forthe 1982 season. Actually I never did have a lot of talent, but I did have a good car and an excellent teacher, and the good sense to do as he said.

Between years one and two, I changed the car dramatically. I took out the (troublesome) Bosch "CIS" system, replacing it with six huge-throated downdraft Webers. Also removed the A/C. Replaced the factory seats with Recaros and six-point harnesses. Bilsteins all the way 'round and absolutely huge (and adjustable) sway bars too. Lowered the whole thing down to European ride height and balanced (by weight) all four corners of the car. It was magic... just as your car must be!

When I finally sold the Porsche, I bought a '48 M G TC... how DUMB was that?

Posted Image

Rob, that's your name,right........I'm a Rob myself........My 911 has an 84 3.2 Fuel injected engine, so it does run strong. I would never have believed the difference between it and my vette, if I didn't own it. Atleast twice the car the Corvette was, ah, you live and learn....I was an American Muscle car fan, but they have alot of drawbacks, and a 400 horse motor in a two ton car cannot compete with it on any level except burnouts maybe, and burning rubber is losing time, wasting money, and can damage the car. My problem is I like cars, all cars, always have, always will.........aren't you the guy with the 350-Z Nissan, nothing to sneeze at................EH !!! Problem with cars is, you always want to try something else.......drove a stage 2 Roush Mustang, oh my god, when the supercharger kicks in it's sheer heaven, and abit of fear, damn they are a wicked car........Thanks for the kind words about the 911............hope you find a vette you want. Do yourself a favor, and atleast test drive a C-5 before you make up your mind......No, it wasn't dumb to get the MG..it's like Ice Cream, Chocolate, and Vanilla get old after awhile, time for another taste...........