Khorns or Cornwalls

mowntnbkr

I don't know why, but I find myself missing my Cornwalls. I have no reason as I have Khorns. I guess I am wondering if the Cornwalls would be better in my 14x12x9 room. Would someone please tell me to pull my head out and rejoice in the fact that I have Khorns in there. I must be having a moment.

I bet your setup is unreal but man - I own a pair of Khorns myself but I could never imagin giving up my cornwalls - like i said before, I don't care if people say it has "loose bass" or is unaccurate or whatever, to my ears - the sound of the cornwalls is absolutely perfect - those are the speakers that made me hardcore Klipsch fan.

I have Lascala's and heresy's as well(trade one of them for cornwalls), but until I got the Khorns, the cornwalls were my fav. I traded them for the Khorns, which was a great deal. I had the Lascala's first and really liked them, but once I got the Cornwalls.............it was something different. It must be midlife crisis, cuz I almost got rid of my VRD's for a MC-275, but I am glad I didn't, it is a killer setup.

I don't know why, but I find myself missing my Cornwalls. I have no reason as I have Khorns. I guess I am wondering if the Cornwalls would be better in my 14x12x9 room. Would someone please tell me to pull my head out and rejoice in the fact that I have Khorns in there. I must be having a moment.

I have Klipschorns and Cornwalls (and Heresies and a Belle) and find that the Khorns are VERY room-dependent. With your room, I think the Cornwalls would do better because you aren't bound to the reflection issues of the Khorns. Your diagonal across the room is much shorter than most lower notes, plus the room is almost square, so you'll have waves criss-crossing all over. The Khorns do well in large rooms (aircraft hangers [:D]), whereas the Cornwalls can be pointed where you're sitting.

My Klipschorns never really ran loose until I got them in a bigger room (4000 cubic feet).

Anyway, to answer your questions, you're just reacting to what you're hearing. I'd put the Cornwalls back into the room, pull them out of the corners and walls a foot or two, and enjoy. That's the same kind of room that I have mine in right now (with 3W amps) and they're just wonderful.

Chris

Good points, Chris. I would also like to add a comment though.....

There is also the issue of tonal balance and presentation of the Cornwall vs. the KHorn and the other fully horn loaded speakers. There's some material I prefer on Cornwalls, which reinforces my happiness with the decision to have two Klipsch based systems. If you must choose only one, go with what works best overall in your room and listening preferences.

While the Klipschorn or other fully horn loaded model (like Belle Klipsch or LaScala) would seem on paper to be the better choice, the Cornwall often works better for many. This is no cause to feel that anything is amiss - just what your ears are telling you is best for your situation. There is an awful lot right with the Cornwall.

I have La Scala's and CW II's in my living room, with the CW II's taking up space as the rears. A few weeks back I decided to give the CW's a serious listen as the mains, and hooked up the VRD's/BBX/Thorens to them. In my room it was no comparison... the CW's couldn't hold a candle to the La Scala's. Now granted, mine aren't stock (Altec 511B's, BEC tweets and ALK Universals), but the mids are just sorely lacking in the CW's. The La Scala's are so much fuller than the CW's, and to be honest, I prefer the horn loaded bass of the La Scala even though the CW digs deeper. I would venture that anyone who came over to my house and heard both would agree with me...

Mike

I have both as well. Just about anything and everything sound good on the Cornwalls. The Khorns require excellent recordings and quality sources. What sounds lousy on the Khorns usually sound good on the Cornwalls. What sounds great on the Khorns cannot be matched on the Corns...period.

I honestly can't tell you which I prefer. I'd get rid of my Khorns before the Cornwalls but that's more for sentimental reasons. When we retire and move to a smaller place, I'll probably just keep the Cornwalls. They're very different speakers and I love both. I truly understand where you're coming from and a lot depends on the type of music you like.

Good luck. It's a tough call.

I have Lascala's and heresy's as well(trade one of them for cornwalls), but until I got the Khorns, the cornwalls were my fav. I traded them for the Khorns, which was a great deal. I had the Lascala's first and really liked them, but once I got the Cornwalls.............it was something different. It must be midlife crisis, cuz I almost got rid of my VRD's for a MC-275, but I am glad I didn't, it is a killer setup.

If you are serious about trading a pair of Lascala's for a pair of Cornwalls, I would be interested in this. I have a pair of 75' Cornwalls with K-43 woofers and I have a pair of 73' vertical Cornwalls. You could take your pick.

Tom

Thanks for the reply's guys, that is exactly the kind of input I have been looking for. I always had a nagging feeling when I traded the cornwalls. I am still not sure what I am going to do, but I have a funny feeling the cw's would be better in the room. Tom I will shoot you a pm.