Super Heresy with 2 12" woofers??

longdrive03

Anyone ever double up the 12" Heresy woofer to get higher output? What about wiring two woofers in parallel to get a 4 ohm load and installing one in a seal box and the other in a ported box. The woofer specs really favor a ported box. Any problems with this alignment?

I realize you could build a Cornwall to get more output and lower bass but I have 12" woofers and not a 15" woofer. Could still add a sub for extra low support.

The K31's are in storage. I haven't used them yet.

Yes you reverse calculate the values for 1/2 the impedance. The two woofers running together will extend the frequncy response on the high end some. May not be audible.

jc

"Anyone ever double up the 12" Heresy woofer to get higher output?"

Been there, done that.

"What about wiring two woofers in parallel to get a 4 ohm load and installing one in a seal box and the other in a ported box. The woofer specs really favor a ported box. Any problems with this alignment?"

Put both woofers in a common volume of about 5.8 cu ft with an Fb of about 33hz. This will be flat in room to about 30hz with a touch of EQ.

Wire the network up like a type B to start with. I added an all-pass delay to the woofers to delay them with respect to the midrange horn. They sound better than a Cornwall.

"A dual 12" Heresy seems a lot like the KLF-30....except the KLF-30 has a better squawker and tweeter...."

I used an SBB4 alignment (best transient response of all the vented alignments). Adding the EQ makes it a C6 (smallest, most bass extension, most efficient vented system).

The KLF-30 used the same midrange driver as the Heresy did after about 1980, the tweeter is better than the pre-85 Heresy.

I used an Atlas mid on an EV horn and a different tweeter. All told I built six pair of these.

"I'm sure you're right about the driver, but the KLF-30 is using the (K640?) tractrix horn."

In Reply to: Re: Radial tractrix horns posted by freddyi on August 10, 2002 at 17:23:28:

The
K703
Tractrix horn may be crossed at 700hz. It was used in the KLF20/30 with a phenolic midrange driver and a tweeter. It was also used with a 2" VC wide range aluminum diaphragm compression driver, without a tweeter, in the now defunct Epic series. Ordered as a repair part from the service department for "your freight damaged KLF20/30," the
Klipsch
part number is 130024 and the MSRP is $30. If a bunch of you try this, get your sh*t together first. Don't all order the same thing on the same day. And don't all ask for a 130024. Remember that this horn was used in the KLF20, KLF30, and Epic CF2. They might jack up the price if they think people want it. Most of their other horns are big bucks.

log.mpl?u_f=hug&u_n=32040

1. I would check the impedance curve of the Heresy woofer before putting two of them in parallel... It might not be very amp friendly

2. One sealed and one ported might not work very well unless you put a high pass on the sealed woofer and use it like a tapered array, which kind of defeats the purpose of using two woofers to begin with. The phase response of the ported woofer would not be the same as the phase repsonse of the sealed woofer and you would end up with peaks and dips in the bottom end. YMMV.