Posessed Heresy

NCSharkDriver

One of my H1s is acting weird of late. I noticed a feedback type buzz or hum coming from the tweeter yesterday. This was very odd because the speaker wasn't even connected to a wire. I had moved it from my surround system to become a B-channel speaker in my audio setup. It was sitting in the corner on top of a La Scala making a little buzzing noise. Nothing electrical in the room was even powered on...?

I ran a wire from my Marantz amp to it and pushed some music through... It played fine. I turned off the amp and listened. Huh... no buzz. About 20 minutes later I was back in the room and there was the buzz again. I turned my amp on and then back off again.... buzz gone... for about another 5-10 minutes.

I went to bed. It may be buzzing as I write this. Any ideas what is causing this?

My brother woke up one night to the sounds of people taking. Upon further investigation, he determined it was coming from his guitar amp. The guitar amp was not even plugged into the wall. Turned out, once he could make our what they were saying, it was passing truckers on the interstate about 2 miles away talking on their CB's.

We notice things like this in the labs at school all the time - and since we're nerds we'll hook ourselves up to oscilliscopes to measure the voltage being induced on our bodies from the surrounding power grid. It's pretty trippy all the signals you can find floating around in the air and all that.

Sounds like the coils in the crossover are acting as a secondary winding of a transformer and causing the buzz via inductance. Pull the speaker away from the wall and note if it goes away.

I moved it off of the La Scala and onto the floor. If I get about 10 feet away from the corner, the buzz stops. When I moved it back it didn't start up for a couple minutes... Funny thing was that it was closer to the wall (than 10 feet) on top of my tv/ht unit. It is a big metal stand from Lowe's (see pg 88 in the "show mw your HT" thread).. maybe the metal supports were blocking the magnetic field?...

We notice things like this in the labs at school all the time - and since we're nerds we'll hook ourselves up to oscilliscopes to measure the voltage being induced on our bodies from the surrounding power grid. It's pretty trippy all the signals you can find floating around in the air and all that.

Mike,

That is too funny. I'll have to add that question to my geek inventory.

You might be a geek if: a. you have ever hooked yourself up to an oscilloscope!

if answer is "yes" add 100 points to your geek quotient.

[:D]

Saying you connect yourself to an osciliscope sounds a lot better than just putting your finger on the tip of the 'probe'... [*-)][:P]

Ya know Who... one day, "many" years from now you will look back to this thread and remember my next story. Your comments here brought it to my memory. I DO think I've mentioned it before on this forum, if so, get over it [;)]

I'd not been to a Dr. for years... MANY years as I have simply been lucky and not needed to. The wife got to thinking and thought I should get a checkup sooooooo, she made me an appointment with her Dr.

Her Dr. just happens to be a female. She also has what we males might call a "hot" nurse. A very attractive woman with bright eyes.

Well... I went in for my physical. Temperature this... ear check that... pulse another.... blood pressure....

Then the Dr. got up and I thought we were done.... nope. She then handed me a gown & told me they'd be back and I was to strip and enter said gown. By this time I was getting to be a little nervous at what was to come next. (having never had one) I was not ready for "that" exam [:|]

Wellllllllll, I got down to my skivies and the Dr. came in moments later. She said nope... off with the skivies to which I had a real sinking feeling that this indeed, WAS the much dreaded exam. She went on to say that we were going to wait for the nurse.

I kind of chuckled at the thought that she had to have her nurse in there as a 'witness' that she didn't 'violate' me when in fact she was specifically going to be 'violating' me....

Wellllll, the bombshell came back and of course, my dignity was about as high as spats on a centepede. She told me to lean over the table...

As I was "assuming the position" I turned back to her/them and said "ya know.... when I take a girl out on a first date, I usually buy her dinner.... the LEAST you could have done was have some wine & cheese with me"

ughhhhhhhhhhh, reliving the fun... I think I'll stop here.

Yah know, we never did hear back from NCSharkdriver...

Heh... nope still here. Your post piqued my interest and I just went into my HT room for a listen-to..... nope, nada, zip. I think hooking it up to the amp and actually giving it a path to let loose on helped. That pair of Heresys (H1s) are now my 2 channel B speakers. They're quiet.

Thanks again for the input and humorous discussion.