Cheap Tweak

discusman

got this link from someone here: http://www.audiotweaks.elosoft.com/browseSet06.htm

so i decided to put my chorus II's on a platform with 3 spikes. i went to the sporting goods store and bought a pack of field points to use for spikes... cost $2.50 for about 15 of them. i then went to home depot and had them cut me 2 - 15 1/2 by 18 1/2 hardwood board ... cost me $9.00. i then bought a can of black satin spray paint and painted the sides of the board ... cost $2.00. i then placed my speakers on top of my new stand ... turned on my stereo and wow!!! - bass much tighter and a pretty noticable improvement all around. my room has heavy carpet pads and berber carpet on top of concrete. now, the speakers are only touching the concrete floor on the 3 points per speaker. pretty cool and inexpensive tweak ... don't know if it will work for everyone but it did for me.

• 8 months later...

I have used 18" spiked pattio stones every where.. The spikes are machine threads into nylon anchors-set in to pattio stones, the spike end is normal looking wood screw. $5.00 for Tweak.. This gets everything off the rug and spiked to the cement floor. Speakers amps, and Turn Table. Inert is good.. Inert is very good. Then I took chimney flues... 8" by 12" by 24" Plumber Puttied to the stones filled them with sand and set my Book Shelf speakers on top stuck again with Plumbers Putty. eg. http://www.audiophilia.com/hardware/diyttstand.htm. The effect was HUGE UNBELIEVABLE. I set the amp on Tennis Balls cut in half/cup side up. I had done this to my 2 channel, and decided to apply the pattio stone to my surround sound... I hardly turn the TV on at all... 3-4 days had passed I turned the TV on ... HOLLY COW what the heck!! Where is all the sound comming from.. It was like adding a $1000 upgrade to my system.... Definition impact.. Imaging. and BASS. To think the Sub woofer was turned off...

So what your saying is that I should put the spikes in my RF-3II's cause they are in a carpeted room. I was affraid to because the spikes are fricking huge. I didn't want to damage the carpet and have a fine for holes when I leave the apartment.

------------------

27" 3 line digital comb filter JVC TV

Denon AVR-2802 Receiver

Denon CDM-270 CD Player

Aiwa DVD Player (sucks)

Klipsch RF3-II's Fronts

Klipsch RC3-II Center

Infinity HPS-250 Subwoofer

Yamaha ??? surrounds

69"X76" Hand made oak entertainment center.

There are various versions of discs etc that fit below the spikes to protect your carpet or wood floors if concerned. Many come with these as an option.

Interestingly enough, I have spiked ALL my speakers with excellent stands; stands are extremely important with monitor speakers - I usually sand and shot fill them with spikes on the bottom and some blu-Tac derivative inbetween speaker and stand. But I found spikes under my Cornwalls to be not a good thing and actually preferred the use of three wine corks of the same size. Talk about a cheap tweak. I prefer spiking 99% of the time, however. For some reason, spiked Cornwalls sounded more edgy to me.

kh

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-17-2002 at 10:55 AM

Corks? Hell, that was just an afterthought. It was the six bottles of Wolfblass Yellow Label Cabernet that really took the edge off. Lord, stop messing around!

kh

Dave - You have a valid point, below. That is why it is wise to buy a case on sale; it pays to befriend your local wine seller as well. Avoid the Australian reds this year as they have gone way downhill, almost the whole lot of them. What once was a fine bargain, now tastes aggressive as a LaScala via a 400w Crown amp!

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-17-2002 at 11:55 AM

Ahhhhh, this isn't recommended for khorns, is it? As to placing the amp on tennis balls cut in half, I can understand how that would help a tube amp, with thos large plates, cathodes and screens...but does this work for SS as well?

------------------

Andy

78 Khorns w/ALK (20' apart!)

Audire Difet 3 Preamp

Adcom GFA 535 II

NAD 4130 Tuner

Marantz CD 63SE

Pioneer DV 434s>c>