Help needed with pen/marker removal.

fastlane

Some types of hairspray will remove magic marker, and even permanent marker... I've taken week old permanent marker stains (purple) off my kitchen counters with hairspray, with no trace.

YMMV with stained wood.

Get it wet with the hairspray (the stain will dissolve) then immediately wipe dry.

Since you mentioned it, Dave...

from Wikipedia...

Erasing

Though Sharpie ink will become permanent after setting, it can be easily erased for several hours after writing on many glossy surfaces, most readily smooth metal and glass. Since the ink is based on propanol, butanol and diacetone alcohols, rubbing alcohol will remove permanent ink writing. Sharpie ink can generally be erased from CDs, microscope slides and plastic bottles within several hours. Sharpie ink that has dried for more than several hours can be removed with acetone, but due to the power of the solvent, acetone may damage the surface material. On some surfaces, the ink can be removed by coloring over the ink with a dry erase marker and then removing the Sharpie ink and dry erase marker ink with a dry cloth. Steam cleaning has proved effective also. Magic Eraser has also proven somewhat effective on hard surfaces such as brick. Hairspray will also remove from smooth surfaces. Tabasco sauce is particularly effective at removing the ink from skin.

I've tried acetone and it did not work as well as hairspray. I might try heavy mixing alcohol and acetone next time... the new hairspay my wife has dosn't work as well as the old stuff.