RF-82's not loud as expected

MFormato

I know there are 1000's of variables in any home theater equation, but I'll throw this out there and maybe someone can help.

The "beginner" setup

Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH

RF-82 Fronts, bi-amped.

10x20 Room

The only input into my reciever is a Comcast HD box. (Is the compressed signal to blame)

How loud should I be able to turn up the reciever so that it's too loud to be in that room?

My satellite receiver is really bad for that. High def channels and PVR  recordings seem muted about 10dB. Standard def is louder but still iffy. Different channels broadcast at slightly different levels too.

If you hook up a CD or DVD player you will notice a difference in sound output. 

What he said!

I always hated watching HD channels because I always found myself having to turn the volume way up over SD channels. I used to have a Sony receiver with a built-in spectrum analyzer and many HD channels would barely register any signal on it.

Same here... comcast does not unify their volume levels at all between channels, and the audio out level seems pretty low overall. If you can up your input gain just for your video source, try that. Some receivers will let you do it. Also make sure you aren't running in any surround modes without all the speakers turned on.

Painfull usually means distortion, perhaps your system is clean. I have found that I can crank my system when listening with older folks and they don't scream "turn it down dag nab it!!" cause it is not all distorted. I remember listening to a pair of Quads powered by macs listening to an LP and thinking they sound nice but can they get loud, they got louder, but not the way I was used too. It was actually nicer.

would you prefer he yell into the inputs? :)

Anyhow - to a point - he is right. Use a cd player or dvd deck, and use the LINE OUTs from it into your amp.