Heresy Industrials

Mabu

A friend has offered to sell me a pair of Heresy Industrials. The serial numbers indicate this set was made in 1966. One of the woofers has been replaced - supposedly by Klipsch, but I wouldn't say I know that for sure - the replaced woofer has a flare on the cone cover. Does that sound like something Klipsch would use? These speakers are very beat up but they sound good. He wants $400 for them. I think this price is too high. What do you all think?

I'd say, yeh, the price is a little high for what they are. Ebay wouldn't bring near that, IMO.

Beat up cabs

replacement woofer doubtfully Klipsch

crossovers will definitely need recapping

----------these are all issues affecting the price.

on the plus side, if you don't have to pay for shipping, that makes the convenience of a local purchase worth something, but not alot here, IMO.

I'm not sure what it would take to get a reasonable match on the woofer. For home use, a pair of K24's wouldn't be a bad choice for sound, but they don't have the high power capacity that the industrial drivers have.

If the speakers had matching woofers, $400 wouldn't be too far off the mark. I'm not sure what I'd offer, but as they are your friend is asking significantly over market value, IMO.

Others who watch Ebay more than I do could chime in with a reliable estimate of the market value. That's the real issue here.

I do not believe there was an Industrial Heresy in 1966, I don't think that they started making them until the late 70's early 80's.

That year used the EV cast frame woofer with the red surrounds and the whizzer cone if I am not mistaken but they are not industrial models, those used the larger K-42 12" woofer and were designated by HI (sealed) or HIP (slot ported) on the label.

I am pretty sure about the date. The serial number had an "E" in it and it said "Model 700" and the tags are still on the back. I will try to get some pictures of them. The guy also has a set of original Cornwalls that are also very old but he wouldn't sell them.

flare? Sound like a duo-cone style woofer which would probably be a much lighter weight consumer grade. The original K24 has a cast frame, massive magnet, and voice coil. There should be K77 tweeter and probably K55 midrange drivers inside.

The price would also vary based on the type of finish and condition.

H700 on heresy states the type mid horn used not the size of the cabinet. The early Heresy had the horn crosover at 1000 and was a small horn. I have seen both big and smaller cabinets on older heresy . I think they might have offerd two sizes right from the start as my 58 heresy ,one of the first ever made, has the same size cabinet as the current production.