Dj'ing a wedding dance - its been a while

wuzzzer

I've DJ'ed quite a few weddings, grad parties, anniversary parties, etc in my day. They've always been for close friends/family. I've always considered it my present to whoever I'm Dj'ing for and haven't ever charged a dime for my services. I don't ever have anything too outlandish but I always was complimented on how good my music sounded and the selection I played. I used to use my Bose 401s and Definitive Technology satellite/sub setup.

November 10th will be the first time I've DJ'ed in quite a while and also the first time with my Klipsch speakers. I can't wait to hear how they sound in a nice size room rather than in my confined basement. The friends who are getting married said as long as I play country and 80s rock I'd be golden. Good thing, since that's what 80% of my music consists of!

I already have the songs picked out and ready to spin. I used the Apple Lossless format when I ripped tracks from my CDs onto my hard drive. Its a good thing I just bought a 320 gig external hard drive - most songs take up 40-60 megabytes each in Lossless!

Anyway, it should be a great time. 4 1/2 hours of rockin' tunes!

• Moderators

Sounds like fun, I did the same thing for my best friends wedding 30 years ago. That's where I met my wife Christy, and married her 1 year later.

At the time I had a Akai reel to reel, and the couple came over for many weekends and we made a tape we could play so I wouldn't have to play records the whole time.

Sansui 8080 and Yamaha turntable with the Akai, and a pair of diy speakers that were the same size and design as a Cornwall, horn mid and high freq. I had never seen a Cornwall, they were built from a book I had with parts from a store in New Orleans that repaired speakers for musicians.

Have fun !.......... Maby you will run into your future wife ?

• Moderators

Have fun !.......... Maby you will run into your future wife ?

Well, I don't know if my current wife would like that! [:o]

Couldn't remember if you were married or not, it's still going to be fun. How big is the room ?

• Moderators

That small area where the DJ was placed may help the SVS, kind of like a corner ?

Get that SVS placed where it would add some good bass and that would help out the Fortes fill that room nicely.

That should sound 10 times better than your old setup. [Y]

• 2 weeks later...

Well, today's the day. Everything is ready to go. My best friend is helping me transport everything with his Suburban. He's also letting me use his Sony ES CD changer which in an A/B sounds light years better than my Oppo DVD player that I was planning on using.

I was blasting "You Spin Me Round", Funkytown", "Jump Jive An' Wail", "Johnny B. Goode" among others last night making sure everything got recorded correctly and sounded good. I hope the Fortes and the SVS are up for 4+ hours of rockin'!!

[8][H][Y][<:o)]

I've DJ'ed quite a few weddings, grad parties, anniversary parties, etc in my day. They've always been for close friends/family. I've always considered it my present to whoever I'm Dj'ing for and haven't ever charged a dime for my services. I don't ever have anything too outlandish but I always was complimented on how good my music sounded and the selection I played. I used to use my Bose 401s and Definitive Technology satellite/sub setup.

November 10th will be the first time I've DJ'ed in quite a while and also the first time with my Klipsch speakers. I can't wait to hear how they sound in a nice size room rather than in my confined basement. The friends who are getting married said as long as I play country and 80s rock I'd be golden. Good thing, since that's what 80% of my music consists of!

I already have the songs picked out and ready to spin. I used the Apple Lossless format when I ripped tracks from my CDs onto my hard drive. Its a good thing I just bought a 320 gig external hard drive - most songs take up 40-60 megabytes each in Lossless!

YOU .....

effin' bastid ...

i Did ... try to get that dam bug on my screen ....[8-)]

YOU .....

effin' bastid ...

i Did ... try to get that dam bug on my screen ....[8-)]

ha ha glad I'm not the only one.

Sorry I didn't post the follow up!

It turns out that the room was much bigger than I remembered - good thing I had some efficient speakers!

I had several compliments on the music, selection and volume was perfect everyone said. Unfortunately my friend's CD player skipped when the bass notes hit hard so I actually had to turn my SVS off and run the Fortes only. They did a pretty awesome job considering the task at hand.

I have another friend getting married April 5th. I haven't offered him my services yet but if I do I'll make sure to use a CD player that can handle some bass beats!

Sounds like a great job!

When I was in college, I had an Akai GS-747 open reel. Used 10 inch reels.

I spent hours and hours, dubbing a bunch of music onto a full reel, something like 6 hours. Faded each song in/out... I also had marked on a list just where each song began in time (as counted by the tape counter)

I'd put on some frat parties or dorm parties, drag my LaScalas in, set everything up click "play" and have fun. If someone wanted to interject something, I also had my cassette deck and turn table with me so they could bring it and we could blend in anything else. When done, I simply hit play on the RTR again.

Nice thing about that is being on tape, there weren't any feedback issues. Tape was dbx encoded so it sounded just about as good as what ever source I originally used (vinyl).

Most of you have no appreciation for how much work goes into this... But a sample of the kinda stuff I used to do... Then you mix in current stff with this.... it's cool.

(Note, I did not do the clip.. just showing the style...)

http://www.radiotrip.net/index_2.htm

Now crank it up and get some housework done!! heheheheheheehe