Help identifying speakers

Diane

I am wondering if anyone can tell me what a speaker type "CDR" and serial numbered 36Y 713 would be? Seems like it is a Cornwall from 1983 but perhaps the "D" is wrong? If there is a wood type D that anyone knows about I would appreciate your insight. Thanks.

Diane

But either way, they ARE Cornwalls, right??

I believe them to be (Corns) based upon the type - CDR, S/N (only one, what's up with that), and physical dimensions....roughly 3'x2'. That being the case and as some of you readers know, I was in the market for rear surrounds....$400 - $600 range. Thought of Fortes, none around. Chorus I's, got sniped with 3 seconds left on the latest e-bay pair the other day (hey, all's fair in the e-bay jungle, no disgruntlement here). So, just made a HUGE leap of faith and hit the 'buy it now for $500'. Cornwalls, $500, had to do it.

Now, aprehension is beginning to set in. The seller is a zero, as in this is his/her first listing. No feedback to gauge integrity. Not really any indication of payment options other than the obligatory e-bay 'money order/cashier check'. This has my tucas in a pucker. Any suggestions?

Perhaps some good natured fellow Klipsch enthusiast in the Dallas/Ft Worth area will volunteer to swing by and give them a peek-see to validate the seller's claim of These speakers are in fantasitc conditions, made by the famous Klipsch company, they are about 20 years old and still work like new! they are incased in a light oak cabinet. Smile.gif Naturally, if they aren't as portrayed, heavy discussions with the seller would be in order.

In any case, I shall remain positive that this is a great deal. I have yet to be burned by e-bay, but we've all heard the horror stories. I shall keep you posted as things unfold.

Ed

------------------

Ed

Edward,

I'm in the Dallas/Ft Worth area and would be willing to give them a look.

I am curious too. This person did a very poor job of advertising his product, but you may have found the rainbow????

Send me an email: xxxxxxxxx.com and we'll see what we can workout.

Mike

------------------

3 Channel Audio:

1980 Cornwalls

Klipsch Quartet as Rear

The following I bought NEW in 1971:

McIntosh MR-74

McIntosh C-26

McIntosh MC-2505

This message has been edited by Good2BHome on 01-05-2002 at 07:01 PM

Mike, thanks for the ever so generous offer, I'll send you an e-mail from work tomorrow.

Folks, things are looking very good at this point. The seller e-mailed me multiple times today. Seems to be a stand up guy. It looks to be a case of 'right place at the right time' coupled with seller's first e-bay attempt to sell something. You're correct Mike, lack of marketing saavy did him wrong which conversly, did me right! I have no doubt that if he had advertised it like '1983 Klipsch Cornwalls in pristine condition, buy it now for $500' I would have been about 12 hours late. As it was, I couldn't believe that they lasted so long. Looks like he listed them around 8:00PM New Year's Eve. Let's see, I crawled out of bed about 3:30 the next afternoon after the usual New Year's revelry and hit the 'buy it now' button at about 3:40. Good thing it was New Years! Everybody else was asleep at the wheel! Good thing I got sniped on those Chorus I's 3 days ago!! Guess it was fate......

Asked and received information. First, the guy was mortified that he had listed them with such a meager buy it now price. Kept going on and on about how he had no clue of what they were or what they were worth and that folks have been flooding him with comments to clue him in to where I was almost starting to feel worse for his loss than I was happy for my gain. I mustered up an assurance to him that they would be very well treated and enjoyed daily. He verified what we all have surmised, yes they are indeed Cornwalls. They are designer series in Birch. He fessed that he had mistakenly listed them as Oak. Said something about 'gray' grilles. I surmised that they were the grille kit I understand can be ordered. Perhaps not. We'll see tomorrow as he gladly committed to sending me digital pictures. In between moans and groans, he went on to re-state that they were in 'fantastic condition' as they were his father-in-law's who evidently took great pride in ownership. He also agreed to sign up immediately with PayPal so that I wouldn't have to send a cashier's check or MO. Looks like Fed Ex Ground is the only shipping game in town. $51/box from Dallas to Northern CA. Reasonable.

I'll post pics upon receipt. Starting to relax a bit and feel good about this deal! Cautious optimism....

Ed

------------------

Ed

edwardre,

Congrats on an excellent buy! I had a similar experience when I bought my first pair of Cornwalls. The buyer was a first time Ebay seller and listed an pristine pair of 85 Cornwalls with a "Buy It Now" price of 550.00. I jumped on it and the seller was within 60 miles of my home. The Pair were in like new condition, not a scratch or blemish, plus I received cut and polished glass tops he had custom made for each. He was astonished when he discovered their value. He confessed his haste was due to his wife not wanting those big monsters moved to their new home. One mans pain, another mans pleasure!

Good to here those rare finds still are being made.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

I had a similar experience when I purchased my Cornwall II's. The seller came here to this board to find out what they were worth, and he was told the usual 800-1200 figure. I emailed the seller immediately, and he sold them to me for 700 anyway. The seller seemed more interested in finding an owner who really wanted them than getting the top dollar, plus I was close enough to him to pick them up - no shipping hassles for him or me. After I first saw them in his home, there was no doubt that the condition of those Cornwalls would have drawn a much higher price on ebay than the price he sold them to me for. Sometimes, you get lucky.cwm12.gif

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

Congratulations on your new purchase, Edward! I think you got one heck of a deal! Please let us know how they look and sound when you get them. I guess I'm pretty lucky since I live in Florida. There are always vintage Klipsch speakers for sale on eBay, AudiogoN, AudioReview and the like, in my neck of the woods. I was able to pick up both pair of Chorus's (2 hour drives) that I purchased this year...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Well folks, got'em!! Arrived about 10:45(PST) this AM. Total cost was $620, door to door.

Using a handcart, I trolleyed them indoors and immediately ripped into the packages like a kid at Christmas. They are CBR's, not CDR's. The birch is in very good condition with a few dings and chips but nothing horrendous. Looks like coated with some stain/varnish combo that will need to be removed and re-stained to match the dark walnut of the rest of my speakers. Or at least that's the directive I anticipate from the missus. Grilles present, some sort of beige/whitish/gray issue, light dependant. Re-clothing with black Klipschcloth will also be required by 'miss sensitive eyes'. Looks like the grilles were never peeled off as when I did, looked like brand new. Paper on the woofer is deep rich black like it left Hope yesterday. Network is the B-3. Anyone with insight on this net?

Immediately set about wheeling them in and plopping them in front of the Khorns for an audition. Tried out several tunes in 2-channel stereo mode. All drivers functioning beautifully. This is the first time I have ever been in the same room as a set of Cornwalls, let alone have the privelidge to play around. Very nice sounding speaker. Good deep tight bass. Mids a little less present than the Khorns, highs very good. Had to scurry off to work so I didn't really have too much time to evaluate, but the little bit that I did....well...all I can say is WOW! Second only to a KHorn. Almost a crying shame to use them solely for rear surrounds. Tonight, I'll move them to the rears and demo a DTS flick. Can't wait!!

------------------

Ed