The Golden Compass....

Joe Shmoe

Has anyone seen this movie yet? At first I had thought that it looked like something I would want to check out, but after further investigation, I am not so sure now. Some review's and discussions talk about Adam & Eve killing God in this movie? If anyone knows more, I would be interested to know. Here's one link :

http://news.yahoo.com/s/uc/20071109/cm_uc_crbbox/op_234335

Well here's a little more I have dug up on the issue. Sorry to make a big deal out of this, some of you may think it's not a big deal, but I was just somewhat offended by the whole thing.

Forgive me, I read these books almost 9 years ago....but isn't God killed? If I remember correctly, God was an angel that was stronger than the rest and since we humans don't know any better we believe what he says to us? I seem to remember a scene where Lyra sees God die. (must read them again)

Anyway, I got into a discussion about this book/movie at work. I work in a movie theatre and have been waiting over a year for The Golden Compass to be released. I still consider the trilogy my favorite book even though I read them so long ago.

Apparently Philip Pullman said in an interview the books were written to be the anti-Narnia and that he geared it toward children intentially to kill God in their eyes. Now this seems like a really dumb statement to make, as it's putting him as an author in a bad light. Targeting the beliefs of children in this way isn't gonna earn you brownie points. I don't know where my coworker heard or read this.....but you have to look at the author.

Philip Pullman is an atheist. There is no reason for him to write what he doesn't believe. Narnia is strongly based on religion, it just doesn't come out and say it. The Golden Compass takes a more scientific approach to certain things.

One thing I DO worry about with this movie....is that Nicole Kidman is Catholic and she said she wouldn't do the movie unless certain elements were taken out that are against her religion. The entire trilogy is being considered "against her religion". There is a war against heaven. If they take that out...there is no story. I did however hear that Daniel Craig fought to keep certain elements in there or HE wouldn't do the movie. They're both in it. I hope that they came to a reasonable compromise and didn't destroy the story. They've already changed the names of things (not a big deal but could be a hint of bigger changes).

• 2 weeks later...

I've read that they took all of the religious (or anti-religious) element out of the movie, so I don't know that there would be anything you wouldn't want the younger boys to see. The worry among the religious groups, though, is that kids will see the movie, and want to read the books.

Never read the books, and refuse to get caught up in the religous sentiments being thrown out by certain individuals (not necesarrily here). As far as I see it, its probably a retelling of the Clash of the Titans of Greek mythology; where the gods over took the titans except told in a judeo-christian enviroment. Looks interesting, and I'll appreciate it at face value.

• 2 weeks later...