Use of sub in two channel

boomac

I hear a lot of talk about people adding a sub to their Heresy Speakers. Although Ive never really thought that they lacked bass; Im curious. Since we just set-up a pair of decorators for my daughter, it might be interesting to experiment. I have an RSW10 that we can use but how does that get hooked into the system. Id first like to try it with my Scott 299 and then with a nice NAD Receiver that a kind Forum Member just sent me for the kids system. What do I do next?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Your Scott 299 should have a Derived Center Channel. Just run an RCA connector from the Derived Center Channel into your Subwoofer. This will carry a full signal to the sub, so make sure you play with the low pass filter to blend it with your mains.

Mike

For me getting it to mix with the mains is the hard part. I have loved the extra bass and at times hated it but I didn't invest enough resources into getting it right.

Thanks Mike L! Ill probably give the RSW10 a try but after listening to the speakers (as is) for two nights, Im pretty satisfied with what Im hearing. Tonight I listened to a new John Patitucci CD and found the bass response to be excellent. Last night we listened to Petty and coming from a wanna be drummer I have to say the kick drum and toms were right on. Its possible Im satisfied because of the listening levels I prefer but at this point I figure the idea of the Heresy lacking bass is perhaps overstated. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I find that nearly all speakers can benefit from the help of a sub. In my bedroom system, the main speakers each have a pair of 10-inch bass/mid drivers, so you'd expect them to have adequate bass response. When I first turn on the system, the two subs are off. If the news or a talk program is on and a woman is speaking, the subs don't turn on, but a male voice will cause them to turn on and the voice immediately sounds more full and realistic.

To my ears at least, subs aren't just needed for music with lots of bass, they help almost all music and some vocals. Even mid-range sounds can have some bass content.