Subwoofer wiring

tbird1

Hi all,

Connection question. I'm having my RS-3's installed shortly. This is my only chance to run the YET TO BUY subwoofer wiring. It will probably be a Klipsch 12 or 15's. The distance will be about 40ft. I was told that 12 gauge Monster cable will not give me full benefits of Subwoofer sound.

What's the best wiring that I should use. I only have one chance to get it right since the wiring will be secured behind the installed Crown molding.

I'd be pretty depressed (and in the wife's personal doghouse fully equiped with bread and water) if I have to rip down the Crown molding because of speaker clarity !!!!

ANY HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED !!!!!

RB-5

RS-3

RC-3

Klipsch Sub-TBD

40 feet!!! My goodness. I would forgo sub cable, and hook it up to your speaker terminals with 12 guage speaker wire.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

Monster makes a 8 meter cable and I beleive that AR has a cables in that lenght as well.

or you could commit the cable to memory and go to Radio Shack and build one for lots less!

Satellite Coax (this should cover the sheilding issue)

Y-Cable 2 males into one female

Adapters that convert the finshed ends of the coax to turn them into RCA male ends and you should be set!

------------------

"FULLY LOADED"

J

Hi,

Thanks for the response. As mentioned by JTS8, I can use the adapters on the 12 gauge Monster cable. My concern is in doing this am I sacrificing sound quality, fidelity, clarity Vs. using RCA cables apparently made specifically for subwoofers. I was told I would need these to maximize the subs performance. Is 12 gauge enough "thickness" to carry a sub (Klipsch 12 or 15) current?? If so I all set as I had 12 gauge run under the hardwood molding.

However on the flip side, I don't mind buying several RCA's if in fact the sound will have a noticeable improvement. I'd like to do it right the first time Vs. wondering......WHAT IF.....

Again, many thanks for any and all input.

40 feet is a long connection for RCA cables. Generally RCA's are not used for connections much above half that distance (which is why they use Balanced cables in professional setups to go long distances).

I would suggest buying/borrowing some different cables and testing it before you hard wire into the walls.

As others have asked - why is you sub so far away? Usually subs are placed in corners (often front corners) so that they are not that distant.

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

tbird1,

like toodvj said use the coax. I believe that for every splice or adapter to adapter run you'll lose 3 db's of gain? I'm kinda rusty at that so anybody else want to chime in here?

toddvj,

thanks for seconding the coax gig some folks have issues about going that route.

------------------

"FULLY LOADED"

J

First and foremost,

Thanks for the responses. The 40ft does not represent the RADIUS from the TV/RECEIVER. It represents the route that it needs to take to place it in a rear corner. The Sub will only be about 12 feet from the TV/RECEIVER. I have HW floors, on a slab, no crawl space, and the ceiling is not an option due to support beams. I have to go 40 ft(routed through Crown moulding) which unfortunately is not a direct path.

Not to be a complete "rookie" but is Monster cable with the RCA end adaptor considered "COAX" ??

I was told that COAX is solid state wiring and not to be used for subs. Since I have only to Friday to make this final call (Crown Moulding 10:am Sat morning),will Monster Cable with RCA adaptors work for a Klipsch 12 or 15 work, or is this Good Guy saleman jerking me ?? I'll buy the Coax if it's a good play.

Commence laughter !!!

Hi All,

While I'm at it, I'm concered the the Klipsch do rate very high except for the sub ?? Why is that. The reviews state the Reference series is excellent,but the Sub does not seem to rate in the same category. 12's 15's

I plan on making this purchase in the next month or 2. Not to knock Klipsch but I'd like the best for what I can spend. I've relegaed myself to the fact that I'm looking at about $1k.

Seriously, what one of the best in that price range ?? I hear Velodyne is excellent.

Again, any and all input appreciated !!!!

For a bit less than that $1K, you can pick up a Paradigm PW-2200. I love mine, but would also love a pair of SVS...

As far as cabling goes, I have a 9m run of AQ Sidewinder and it does great. It is coax and you can get it with a "subwoofer kit" which is a small second piece of cable that allows you to hook up to both inputs, theoretically giving better sound.

Hi gang,

Thanks for all the help. My choices are down to one since wire installation in tomorrow. Please tell me if this is a "bad play" but I'm probably going to go with the MonsterBass 400 Subwoofer Interconnect. It's will total about about $160. I'll have to connect two together but I don't think i'll be losing too much.

I'm a rookie but I really want to make the right move. I don't know if this MonsterBass 400 Subwoofer Interconnect is Coax, better, or worse than Coax but Good Guys, Circuit City don't seem to know what Coax does for subs. They tell me that's what this MonsterBass 400 is.

If anyone is kind enough to answer ANY question please address the following:

1 - Does 12 gauge have the shielding and current to handle a sub. (It will have RCA'S on the ends)

2 - Are two 8M MonsterBass 400 Subwoofer Interconnects better or worse than #1.

Many thanks

tbird

I'm not familiar with the MonsterBass 400 Interconnects.

But, most typically,when you hook up a sub, you use the coaxial cables with RCA ends. From sub-out to the sub. It sends the signal before it is powered. If it is a custom built sub (like mine), I go from sub-out to the amp using coaxial. Then from the amplifaction, the powered signal travels to sub via speake wire. The heavier the gauge,the better. I have all 12 gauge in my system. I have a friend that has and old pair of Ohm's that he has 10 gauge wire. Pretty hefty stuff!

To help you out, would recommend the Monster hookup. In my personal experience,2 coaxial cables butted together won't hurt any. Got to local Radio Shack and get Female/Female adapter. This will allow you to butt to cables together.

------------------

Jerry

CP RULZ

i use the monsterbass 400 w/ a Y-adapter to both L&R line inputs on my sub, so i'm biased. Smile.gif believe it cost about $60 off the net for my 12 footer. can't say

it's the best for the money but it's double shielded w/

a solid core hot wire & does the job fine for me.

& yes it's "coax" in digital audio speak. those guys get confused by the term because they think you're talking about f-pin type cable tv like coaxial cable.

all u really need & i can't refute it, is a shielded 75ohm video cable w/ rca plugs. they'd probably know what that is Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

So, how does the crown moulding look? Did they shoot any nails through the cable? Probably a good idea to test the cable before that last coat of enamel (and before the check clears...).

fini

That F pin connector is where the adapters come into play to turn the plain jane coax to a cheap alternative to shelling out $$$

Take away the fancy jacket with the claims of sheilding the signal from all types of EMP's, Solar eruptions, Lunar Tide schedules, and testing at the Groom Lake Test Facility located in Nevada as well other basic rants!

I think it boils down to RG6 or 7? it's whatever Monster supplies for there Sat install kit, just get the house brand.

Tbird1, as well I apoligize for not returning your E-mail I've been busy at work. Hope what ya pick does the trick and please post some pictures!

------------------

"FULLY LOADED"

J

i was just responding to t-bird's last post on the monsterbass connect. after rereading this thread from the beginning, & considering it's a long in-wall run, i agree w/ jt & the others, even using the f-pin/rca adapters if u don't want to hand wire on the rca plugs.

anyway i'm outta here. he's probably layed the cable anyway, & i'm afraid this is another cable or interconnect discussion that's a hornet's nest about to be kicked open Biggrin.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 01-07-2002 at 08:47 PM

All,

Thanks for the responses. For better or worse it's Monster Cable 12 gauge for the Sub. Once I decide on the sub I'll use the mentioned RCA adaptors.

All fit quite well behind the Crown Moulding. I suggest this for anyone on a cement slab and no ceiling crawl space. These guys were good. They first tacked(plastic U-cups) the wires (3 sets of MC 12 gauge, including the wires for the RS-S'S's) to the corners where the ceiling and wall meet.

Once the Crown was cut and put in place the nails went into the wall, below the corners, and in the ceiling above the corners. I had to go out and buy wider Crown

(4 5/8th) I believe but it looks great.

Now I have to work on getting this Denon 3300 down to science !!!!

Thanks again for all the help. You have no idea how much t helps.

tbird