Hello ! N00b here with some Choruses

Steve-H

All,

I just scored a near mint set of Chorus I speakers last week and have been putting them through the paces. My setup consists of a homebrew EL84 (bastardization off of a dynaco driver design, but with tube rectification, soft start, feedback changes, etc), a modified PAS-2, and either a denon CDP, updated FM3, vinyl, or a squeezebox. I also just wrapped up a nice SE compactron amp (Super detailed; but quite lacking in the bass department..). In any event, I really am enjoying these speakers - but I gotta say that my bozak B313's sounded much better in the bass department. Perhaps not as strong, but the bozaks were much cleaner and perhaps went a little lower. Beyond that, the Choruses blow the bozaks away [:D]

I believe that the crossovers need some refreshment; as the left channel will pop every now and again shortly after startup (I checked that it wasn't the amp, etc). I see a whole bunch of stuff for the Chorus II series; but nothing really for the older ones. Suggestions ? I did find the schematic for them on this board; so worse comes to worse I can experement abit. Additionally; has anyone tried to mess with the ports ? I was thinking maybe add some tubes to them, or block one off with a tube in the other, etc ?

Here's a quick coupla pics that I took when I hauled 'em home:

Chorus_1.jpg?imgmax=512

chorus_2.jpg?imgmax=512

Thanks !

Steve

Pull the crossovers out of the cabinets and doublecheck all the connections. I don't know the makeup of the Chorus xover, but you may just have a bad connection. Make sure ALL the connections are good. You will probably need to replace the capacitors in the crossovers, and they do deteriorate over time, and those are getting on in years.

Bob Crites can probably help with those as well, and you can find him on this forum. Chris Munson (PopBumper) also has replacements, but maybe not for the earlier models.

Bruce

Newbie at the forum also! Have had my Chorus 1's since early 2001. Was told at the time that I was getting a high-end product. Have always enjoyed the speakers, and am content for the moment with the bass, which to me seems really adequate.

The original Chorus was deliberately mis-tuned to get more 'punch', at the expense of deep bass.

I would try adding some ducts to those ports, try about 7" to start.

****"ducts".....I wonder how to do that!

Newbie here at forum also. Congrats. on your Chorus 1's! Have had mine since early 2001, and have been satisfied with the overall performance including bass. Was told I was getting high-end equipment at the time, which has proven to be true. Have not been into speakers (yet) but are probably original. May explore X-Over upgrade. Certainly should be getting some definite bass there, unless a problem. Some good advice to be found here![C]

The original Chorus was deliberately mis-tuned to get more 'punch', at the expense of deep bass.

I would try adding some ducts to those ports, try about 7" to start.

****"ducts".....I wonder how to do that!

Find some heavy cardboard tubes or some pvc pipe from Home Depot/ Lowe's, the inside diameter the same as the port diameter. Glue on the inside of the cabinet, so the port is now longer and not just the depth of the front baffle.

I come up with 4 and 1/16th or 20mm for a nice fit. Sounds interesting and easy enough, just did not want to assume too much at first. I'll try that for an experiment, and leave amp unadjusted with music I've been listeneing to recently with good bass lines.

Thanks *Marvel!

• 2 weeks later...

NooB section still good for this discovery!

I was rehooking up wires from the DVD after cleaning over the weekend, and instead of hooking up to speaker inputs on a PanicSonic 2000, I accidentally hooked the L/R to the ceramic input of the phono on the stereo receiver, right beside the magnetic phono L/R input. I cut it on and BS sounded different,better with more lowend on the bass/drums and more punch, but had to turn up the volume all the way to begin to get to my listening level. Thought...hummmm what had I done. So now I go back and unhook the phono cables from the magnetic side and input my wires. Had left the volume up alot and when cut back on, it was clipping. So cut off quickly and rehooked back to ceramic input and left the phono wires from turntable unconnected.

Viola... now my volume is up 3/4 at my listening level with my loudness boost lever off and hearing the real BS. Thought somethings were missing with the musuc but just attributed it to the panicsonic, Still going to do the duct thing (experiment) but if bass gets more intense, I may not can take it, as the mis-tuned on purpose with the x-overs must be the case,[H] as one hell of a punch!!!!!

So much for not knowing what I"m doing. Don't know why but maybe bypassed a filter. This is the best they have sounded, with all the range of instrumentation in the 6+ years I've had the Chorus 1's. Now to see how the Cornwall 2 compare.

May as well listen to Beck/Ola again to see what I missed (CD)!!! Accidental discovery.......Cooolllll!!!!