No experience with tubes

jmelet

Welcome to the Forum. Hardly a dumb question and a source of endless debate here.

The best place to start, though, is with a few basic questions.

What are you using right now for amplification and cd/dvd or record player? Music tastes is also sometimes helpful.

depending on what your source is, you may be able to drive your tube amp directly from your source. Media servers, HTPC's, DAC's as an example can drive an amp to full output with out a pre-amp. So if your not using phono's or line level devices (tuners, old tape decks, etc), starting with a tube amp may be the way to go.

I previously used to answer this question with "get a tube preamp to drive the SS amp" But I have had many customers now do the reverse or no pre at all with greats results. Of course much is going to depend on how good the SS component is that you decide to keep in the system. If your amp has a better over all reputation for good sound then it may be the piece to keep and insert a tube preamp or the reverse??? It's all about system mating.

Craig

Something to watch out for is the impedance of the components. SS amps often have a lower input impedance, while most tube equipment has a high output impedance. In my case, I have a BBX (from Mark), and a SS amp that has a stupidly low input impedance. Without a buffer or impedance matching device, the bass was getting rolled off a LOT. SS into tubes is usually not a problem. Mark is certainly correct that not all pieces will work together the way you would want or expect.

My system is definately mid-fi:

Adcom GFA 5500 Amp, Adcom GFP 715 Pre, Denon DCM 560 CD, Sony 500 ES Tuner, Klipsch Forte I's, Audioquest Speaker Cable and Interconnects.

My system sounds very good at low to mid volumes, but can get very bright and fatiguing at higher volumes on certain CD's. Speaker placement is critical in my 22'x18' den. I have my Forte's pointed straight out, about 2' from any wall and not angled in at all. ( For years I had them angled in and corner loaded tight, until I read a reveiw on the Forte's and the guy talked about how the Klipsch recommended placement was dead wrong )

My musical tastes vary. 70's rock, fusion, blues, jazz, americana, and alot of newer progressive music heard on WRLT.com in Nashville, Tenn. Give them a listen. Thanks guys, I love this forum......Jmelet

I have my Forte's pointed straight out, about 2' from any wall and not angled in at all. ( For years I had them angled in and corner loaded tight, until I read a reveiw on the Forte's and the guy talked about how the Klipsch recommended placement was dead wrong )

Well I would agree that having them tight in the corner will not allow the bass out into the room. But IMHO you need to have that passive coupled to a wall or a corner. VMPS is a pretty well known and liked speaker as well and I believe all of Brian's speakers utilize a passive coupled to the bottom of the speaker cabinet with a slot opening in the front. His design places the passive about 2 inches from the bottom of the cabinet.

As far as Klipsch recommended placement being dead wrong. I would have to disagree.

Thanks for the link. Its been a few years but yes I have read it before. I have the big brothers to the Forte II he is referring to. In regards to toe in I myself like them aimed just to the outside of my seating position. I am a big fan of the Chorus II, Forte II and Quartet family as well. I have owned mine for almost 18 years and have tried every postition imaginable with many different electronics. I agree with some of his comments and disagree with others. The passive really does need to be coupled to the wall or corner if you want a fuller sounding speaker.

My system sounds very good at low to mid volumes, but can get very bright and fatiguing at higher volumes on certain CD's. Speaker placement is critical in my 22'x18' den. I have my Forte's pointed straight out, about 2' from any wall and not angled in at all. ( For years I had them angled in and corner loaded tight, until I read a reveiw on the Forte's and the guy talked about how the Klipsch recommended placement was dead wrong )

My musical tastes vary. 70's rock, fusion, blues, jazz, americana, and alot of newer progressive music heard on WRLT.com in Nashville, Tenn. Give them a listen. Thanks guys, I love this forum......Jmelet

I'm with Stormin on tryng to pick up some better bottom from the passive by getting it closer to the wall. What it's sounds like what's troubling you, however, if a combination of badly recorded cd's and distortion.

I've tried a whole bunch of various models of Klipsch speakers and they all tend to be a bit bright to my ears, but it's the tradeoff to get that wonderful presence, accuracy and detail. Because they are so revealing, however, that means that bad cd's just sound bad and there's no way to get around it. There's also badly recorded records and the same thing applies.

As far as distortion (you know, that get up because it sounds too loud so turn it down, feeling) goes, IMO tubes are the way to go. They are so much less fatiguing it's almost no contest. Now they say high end SS is not fatiguing but I've never owned any, so in a reasonable world at a reasonable price point tubes are the way to go.

I do believe Shhh has a totally refurbed Scott 299 for sale here on the Forum. I would suggest getting that, because you can always sell it for what you paid if you don't like it.