Visitor at Camp Alcorn

IB Slammin

Friday morning, a large white commercial van arrived in Northwest Arkansas. It was piloted by J.W. Cullison and contained his Cornscala Double Bass Bins (dbb’s), top hats, and grill cloth.

We got JC settled in at the camp, and hit the slopes for a tour of NWA. We drove through the UofA campus, down Dickson Street and had refreshments. Up through Springdale, had refreshments, had lunch in Rogers with refreshments. Back to the camp and started some low SPL music. We were proud to be “SPL good boys” at that point.[A] Naturally, that changed as the night progressed, and we aired-out my old gear into the wee hours. Well OK. We didn’t sleep much, if any, that night and really hammered the old Alcorns, taking a few hearing-safety breaks.

A night to remember for sure.[<:o)]

Not long ago, Christy started a thread about “the Klipsch family”, the friendships that are made, and the generosity of fellow members. You know, mushy Girl stuff, [;)] but I must take a stab at it.

Over the past few years, JC and I have become great friends.

This guy rented a van, loaded the dbb’s, and drove eleven hours, (one way) to bring them to me.

Sometimes, thank you’ is an understatement.

tc

No not yet. Got it home, put it in the garage and covered it up. I bought some Klipschorns soon after and have been spending my spare time refinishing those. You interested in it?

No, No! Please no!

My wife and I were house guests of JC’s and his family a year ago to the day from his visit here. We scraped the cow poop from our boots before entering his magnificent 190,000sf golf community home. I razzed him a bit by calling it “Château Cullison”. When I knew that he would visit our empty nest 1,200sf farm house, I tried to prevent his culture shock. I told him to consider it like a camping trip. I think he got me back with the “Camp Alcorn” name. I think it will stick.

We have 11 acres here, and intend to build on top of the hill in 2010. Have no doubt, a large multi-zone dedicated audio room will be included in the design.

All to say, that my square foot plate is full with four Hersey’s, two ’75 CW’s, (the Alcorns) two ’73 CW verts, (in storage) and now the dbb’s. I do two-channel only, so perhaps a pair of CW’s in the shower?

Man, if you have the room and do multi channel, you should load it up and ease that bad boy 15”X2 horn, into the mix!

tc

Yeppers.

Was in NW Arkansas this past weekend. Nice, warm home. Thanks Terry and Lynn.

I finally got to hear the Alcorns currently loaded with ESN's. I wouldn't change a thing to that setup....reflex K33...Altec 511....Altec 902...Jbl 2404.

Tube source and preamp with beastly Luxman SS.

I had forgotten how great those 511's reproduce the female voice.

We hit it hard the first night which made us worthless for further listening.

The dbb's are now in the hands of the person that gave me the idea to do the project. I hope to see them grow in Terry's hands........we will wait for some pics man.

The double 15" woofer concept is a winner. Serious slam. The dbb's were replaced with a similar concept...except....not a DIY. True Klipsch. The Finish isn't as good as the dbb's. Will be a few months before I get them running.

Carry on Klipsch family.

PS. “Château Cullison” is for sale! Can't deliver this in a white van.

jc

post-16499-13819354152208_thumb.jpg

Those DBB's were insanely well built cabinets. Just looking at them makes me think is it live or is it memorex. That farmhouse room didn't do them justice although they could have been used with the pro setup used by the bands : )

Seti,

I had forgotten how nice the piano black finish looks.

Sometimes I feel like the Blanche DuBois of audio.[:D][G]

tc