New/Old H1E heresys

klipschaholik

Picked up a pair of H1E heresys from ebay today. UPS managed to deliver them (believe it or not in a golf cart pulling a trailer; its Christmas time; give em a break) undamaged all the way from Birmingham. Gonna be a nice restoration project. Looks like they've been through some heat as the top handle on one is a little distorted. Anyway any one have a schematic for the H1E crossover cause these will certainly need a rebuild? Here's a pic of the pair

post-14322-1381935412849_thumb.jpg

New veneer for starters. I've got some hickory, cherry and sapele to pick from. Rebuild the crossovers because I'm sure they're shot, and that's about all. They have the K42 EV woofers; big and heavy ones. I like the decorator style and they're ported even though these aren't as efficient as the other heresys, they should be able to handle some watts. I'll post up some progress pics. I'm working on my Khorn restoration now as well so I've got plenty to do.

and they're ported even though these aren't as efficient as the other heresys

Someone else posted something about that but I cannot find it. But.... I had a pair of TH-SR3's (Industrial H-II's) which were not ported. They had the K-42 woofers and the crossover was inside on a board rather than connected to the cup. I'm wondering if you can block the port to increase the bass. I'm sure someone else more familiar with the KP-250's, and other "Heresy" industrial derivitaives (maybe Colter?) can help on that one. It may simply be a crossover modification to turn it into the configuration of a standard Heresy-I, but with the correct cap, tap, etc for the K42?

I believe those are HIPs. They look like my HIPs. The woofer IS an ev (EVM-12L, I believe) and though the bass starts rolling off below 120 Hz, the woofer hits 102 dB and the squawker and tweeter are run at 104 dB like the K-horn and La Scala. They are VERY bright indoors where the HF reflects off the walls, but sound rather nice outdoors, where they were meant to be.

John - They used to hang some of these in the trees at the Nightfall concerts, to fill in the perimeter of Miller Plaza. Sounded pretty good, except the clowns actually doing the mixing used to overdrive them too often.

John, I hope these weren't stolen from you! I pulled the backs off and found that these have seen some heat, fire in their lives but they seem OK. I'm not sure but I'll check the EV numbers on them. They looked interesting when I found them on ebay. I ended up spending more than i expected to ship them from Birmingham, four hour drive away that cost me $92 but I'll refinish them and add them to the collection for now.

I think they're HIP's, and like John mentions, have about 6dB more sensitivity - the tradeoff being less bass. If you close the ports, then you're going to end up with even less bass.

I posted a bunch of measurements here somewhere comparing every flavor of Heresy side by side in an outdoor comparison.