2.1 Setup

Alpheretta

My logitech Z-2300 sub is good but my Klipsch ProMedia satellites
are failing. But I want speakers that I can turn up that produce loud
clean music rather than getting distorted at 60% volume. So I guess im
looking into bookshelf systems. How are these? And between them, which
would you recommend me getting?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180191143985&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBTOX:IT&item=260189184302&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

MEMBERS: I suggested to Alphertta the this topic be brought here as he wasn't getting much response in "General" and this is a 2 channel question. I gave him a few thoughts over there, but I know you guys have a lot of thoughts. Share them!

I can't believe you guys would miss a chance to start another poor guy down the road to ruin...

Dave

He suggested Heritage or some sort, but I looked into those and i dont wanna go that big. I want a basic 2.1 setup, but one that I can crank and still get a good quailty sound from, versus trying to do so with a 3" driver pumping out hard rock and vocals at once.

I would like to use my Logitech sub but since it only has a L/R RCA input, idk if it woudl work, but if I can get a 2 peice off eBay then I can buy a reciver and sub hopefully for Xmas

No, I did not suggest Heritage, but I told him some of you guys would... I suggested Frazier Super Monte Carlos (which I always would) which are about as small a speaker as I've heard that I would want to listen to for any length of time (I've been listening to my first pair now for over 30 years, so that is not an overstatement).

Here is the post:

"I am a Heritage person. My main system is K'horns and a Cornwall
center. The rears for that one are Frazier Mark IV's which match
nicely. IMHO there are no subtitutes for them big 'ol horns, and few
price/performance competitors to the Cornwal. However, as I mentioned,
I prefer the Mark IV to the Heresy...though almost as much due to
price/performance as to the slighly more "muscal" quality and bass they
seem to have. I have three other systems that are all Frazier which I
could not afford if they were Klipsch. I don't have more than 600.00
in all the speakers for those (and one is 5.1) and they sound like a
million.

Sheesh, I'd have 'horns in the kitchen if I could afford it!

Anyway, looks like a few folks starting to show up at your party.

Good luck and good listening...I'll be looking for you out in the 'burbs when I get home (2 Channel)."

I didn't really fully understand his specs, and still don't.

Dave

Quite frankly I would forgo the 2.1 setup and just go with bookshelf speakers. For that I would recommend the KG series of bookshelf's. Reasonable price, fantastic sound.

My KG 1.5's have been relegated to surround sound duties and I consider that a waste of a good speaker. So much better than the Promedia's it isn't even a contest.

I have a friend, an accomplished guitarist, I lent them to for a few months and every time he sees them at my house a spot of drool runs down his chin. Calls them the best nearfield speakers he's ever heard.

I don't see any of them on ebay right now but a pair of 1.2's with a $85 BIN would IMO be well worth taking a flyer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KLIPSCH-KG-KG-1-2-SPEAKERS-studio-MONITORS-AUDIOPHILE_W0QQitemZ300180146713QQihZ020QQcategoryZ32861QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Well, Im talking to some of my other friends about the same thing. What the source is (what I would like to stick with) is my Logitech Z-2300 Sub that has a L&R RCA output. They said I can strip two RCA wires to make bare wire speakers work, now its a matter of picking which ones to use. I also have so more questions so I know more about what im doing in the long run, and making sure when I purchase these they'll last:

Whats the difference in montior speakers? Cause I saw soe with some outstanding specs.

If the speakers have more wattage than the sub, is that bad?

Ok, two ways to do this:

1. Get another pair of Promedia 2.1's, I had the subs stacked and the satellites on stands, loose the logitech stuff. Run it as a 4.2 system

2. Get a digital IO module from SoundBlaster and a spdif cable, plug the sound card into the I/O module, spdif goes from I/O module to your receiver and use a real stereo.

Just a couple of ways...If you don't have a real stereo, go for option 1, it'll kick ***.

If the speakers have more wattage than the sub, is that bad? "

If this is not the intent of your question, I'm sorry.

A speaker does not have "wattage." A speaker is rated to handle a certain amount of power. However, it is easier to ruin a speaker by using a less powerful amp than a more powerful one. This is because you want undistorted power going to a speaker.

The $30 Sony's are worth just that. If you are going low buck, buy something that was more when new. Ie. a $300 pair of speakers for $75 used is much better than a $75 pair of new speakers (generally).

Just my opinion but I would say no. Monitors are designed around mixing and music reproduction not listening. To me they don't fill a room like regular speakers do. Also, please don't obsess over specs. They are a guide but your ears are are the only true guide.

If I were you I'd really consider spending a few dollars to get a receiver and then some good Klipsch bookshelves. As your equipment budget grows over time you can always upgrade them.

The Harmon Kardon line of dual power receivers (do a Forum search, can't remeber model numbers right now) and used KG bookshelves will rock your boat. Both are readily availble on ebay. For $300 bucks tops and your on your way for quite awhile.