What have I done? OT, COFFEE RELATED

Cal Blacksmith

Hey Wayne that would be great!

Current schedule is either Jan or Feb sometime, probably several trips over the first six months of 2008.

Fighting some equipment issues in our setup in San Diego right now. If we get those fixed something will certainly be happening as noted above.

Keep the Cornwalls warmed up......

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way, Starbucks may have really bad pastry, but the Grande iced purple eye (3 shots of expresso) give me more of a rush than anything Bose has ever made, and I live in Bose country (MA). And at all of our local Starbuck's, the girls are pretty hot, many are Boston college or Pine Manor Students.

No way, Starbucks may have really bad pastry, but the Grande iced purple eye (3 shots of expresso) give me more of a rush than anything Bose has ever made, and I live in Bose country (MA). And at all of our local Starbuck's, the girls are pretty hot, many are Boston college or Pine Manor Students.

The women may be hot but the truth is that espresso has less cafeen than regular coffee.

The espresso process extracts less of it due to the short time that the water is in contact with the beans. Another truth is that *$s is second rate coffee at best. They over roast the beans and you are tasting more of the roasting process rather than the fine qualites of each type of bean. This is done so that the same coffee drink will taste the same, year round and no matter which store you go to. Beans have a season just like any other crop and different crops mature at different times throughout the world. Each type of bean and location that it is grown has a different taste. If you over roast the beans then you just taste the burnt suguar in the beans, not the subtle varaitions of the indiviual bean.

How in the world did I miss this thread!? I've been a coffeegeek for quite some time. I've got an Isomac Relax and a Rancilio Rocky grinder. as a matter of fact, my espresso machine was my avatar here for some time. The only minor regret I have is not getting a stepless grinder. When you really get into tweaking and want to pull 1Oz in 25 seconds, it's nice to have the stepless option to dial your grind in. Otherwise, it's an awesome grinder. My Relax (odd name for an espresso machine) has performed absolutely flawlessly for several years. It's built like a tank and is very consistant. Great hobby. My best advice to anyone starting out is to get the freshest beans you possibly can. A thousand dollar machine can't pull a good shot with stale beans.

post-15193-13819354528964_thumb.jpg

Wayne,

Great setup and i love the design to cap off the latte!

Did you mention the price yet to the wife? I'm thinking no, because from your pictures I didn't see a dent in the machine from where she hit you over the head with it.

Ok CECAA850 you are dealing with a vigin here so be gentle. What is a "stepless grinder"?

Well I have a 15 minute drive to go get my "short vanilla latte with 5 shots of espresso".

You guys have a great day!

Great thread

danny

cecaa

Nice looking machine! Concidering that espresso has 1/3 the cafeen that regular coffee has, Relax is not such a funny name for a machine! I agree about the beans and for now, I am picking them up in person at coffeeklatch, home of Heather Perry the top US barista and second in the last world competion! I am looking into taking a lesson from her, she will either teach in a group class at their shop or she will come out and give a private lesson at your home! This means that you will learn to dial in your equipment to it's max and learn how to keep it there as well as having 4 hours of one on one time to pull shots and foam milk and do late' art! I am stoked about that chance!

Danny, LOL, no I haven't mentioned price yet but I won't have to! The wife is cool with my "hobbies" and as long as the bills are paid and she can get what she wants in a reasonable time from asking, she is happy.

With Christmas coming so soon, I have not had much time to play with my toys! I won't get to tonight either! It is my mothers birthday, she is .... well older than I am LOL! So there is a party tonight and I will get hoime late. But then again, there is no work tomorow so I could stay up late!!

Ok CECAA850 you are dealing with a vigin here so be gentle. What is a "stepless grinder"?

Many grinders like my Rocky have a numbered coarseness gauge. You move it one "step" in either direction to make your grind coarser or finer. When I use my double basket, I like to pull 2 Oz. in 25 seonds. If an ounce pulls in 20 seconds, my grind is too coarse and I bump my grinder 1 notch finer. A stepless grinder has no detents so it is basically infinitely adjustable. Sometines you want a grind that's inbetween steps. It's really a VERY petty gripe, and I wouldn't let it keep you from buying a particular grinder. If you're a little coarse, you can tamp a little harder to make up for it. Likewise if you're a little fine in your grind, you can tamp a little lighter. I've got a bathroom scale on my counter to be sure I tamp a fairly consistant 30 lbs. The more you eliminate your variables (grind, tamp pressure, temperature) the easier it is to make your pour consistant. Carl

I was going to buy a Rocky and a Silivia combo for about $900 new. The combo is a good one and lots of people have this setup. The deal on the Oscar (new) and a used Super Jolley (commercial machine which is stepless) came along for $1k delivered and that was just too good to pass up. I have not done much grinding on the SJ but the little I have done is FANTASTIC! It is so smooth and quiet and the consistancy of the grind is ......WOW! If you have the room for it, they are a GREAT bargan used!