Identify an old Klipsch speaker....

DrPyro

Over New Years, I got to listen to an old Klipsch speakers. However the owner of the speaker was not there and his housemate didn't have a clue about the speaker.

I know it wasn't a Belle, K-horn, or LaScala. It was approximately 15+ or so years old or so. I was about 3ft High & 2 ft wide with a wooden finish. The key was that it there is a 10-12 inch woofer at the back of the speaker. Any clue as to what model it was?

It sounded fairly good...but it think i like my Ref 3's better :-)

-DrPyro

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: SVS Ultra + Samson 1000

Sounds like a Forte or kg4; the key is the front drivers: the Forte sports a 12-inch woofer (same size as that rear-firing passive radiator) topped by a horn midrange and tweeter, whereas the kg4 has two 8-inch woofers with the horn tweeter (plus the same 12-inch passive radiator as the Forte.

And if it didn't sound good, it must not have been set up properly, or the front-end components bit, or the music sucked.

------------------

Klipsch Fortes, Oiled Oak

McCormack DNA-1 Power Amp

McCormack TLC Pre-Amp

Adcom GCD-700 CD Player

NHT SA3 Subwoofer Amp

Hsu TN1220 Subwoofer

Old Akai cassette Deck

Akai AAR22 used as tuner

Nordost Solar Wind interconnects

Kimber 4TC Speaker Cable

I'd agree it was most likely a Chorus or a Forte.

To be a stickler, my Forte does not have a terminal cup. The connections are down at the bottom. The label is at the top of the back.

- - - -

Edit. I looked at the back of my Forte (II). Yup, there is a terminal cup (square) and it does say Forte II. Sorry

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 01-08-2002 at 05:20 PM

I wish i could have taken the front grill off...but oh well. But i think from your descriptions it could have been the Forte.

I don't mean to say that it sounded bad...I'm sure with a more proper setup they would sing. I was just really suprised with their layed back sound, i was expecting a bit more "in your face" sound.

-DrPyro

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: SVS Ultra + Samson 1000

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there Steve.Started to buy a mint pair of Belles last year and,although she never complains,the wife asked " where are you going to put them?", to which I slyly retorted,"uhh,I dunno".Forgot about the Belles.No room for them!

Stay warm!

Keith

Anyone wishing to rid themselves of "old, worn out, heritage series" speakers should feel free to contact me. I will dispose of them for you, for whatever shipping to my home costs... Smile.gif

Speed

------------------

Klipsch Chorus I Mains

Klipsch Academy Center

Klipsch Forte II surrounds

Marantz SR19EX Receiver

Yamaha 5 CD Changer

Mitsubishi WS-55807 55" HDTV

Playstation 2 for games/DVD