5.1 vs. 6.1 vs. 7.1

InVeNtOr

I ran a Reference 7 series, 7.1, in a 15x16x8 room until we had a fire ten months ago, and my initial fear was that it would be too much, and it was not.

I tried 5.1, then 7.1, and the 7.1 is where it remained.

Our new home will be done in about 3 months, where the 28x32x9 rec room belongs to me, and the 7's are anxiously waiting in their boxes............

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man, you had a fire and the speakers were saved. talk about something good from something bad.

i have a challange question....

the media room is 15' in width and 25' in length. what are the optimal measurments with those parameters? the only problem is there are slopes on the walls. envision standing in a big rectangle with 3 windows infront of you (fwd). there is a 3' slope to the left and 1' slope to the right. the front wall with the windows also has a 1' slope. i need to get with the builder and see if i can match any of the slopes so the room remains equil.

if the room is 15' in WIDTH how long does it's length have to be? if the room is 15' LENGTH how long does it's width does it have to be?

one someone can give me some good numbers i will draw it out in 3d and take a look at it. i am leaning toward the the 15' in WIDTH room because i can build the et center into the right hand wall so i can have more of a clean room. (also the cable lengh would be alot shorther).

basicly i have 25' x 15' at my disposial. the room is built with those dimentions. to make the smaller room i will have a wall added at the 13' foot mark and of course the 20' room the door will be back aways. i was thinking of dividing the room in almost half and have a ht room and game room. now i am starting to rethink that.

I would support your re-thinking it. If you have 25x15 at your disposal, you'd get much better results and much more flex out of it by using the whole thing and not walling it off. You could still do your game room at the back or something, just don't wall it off. Then you can look at 6.1, 7.1/2 and even 10.2 reasonably.

in the other post of this, i was thinking of adding a curtain at the back of the wall. where the half wall is, the 25' mark. that way i can close out the room and prevent as much light as possible. also it will help with knocking some noice out to the people below. the curtain shouldn't hurt the sound at all, does anyone agree, or will that too cause problems?

hey there falcon....yeah i bet you know how much those 83's need to breath! how are they working out for you?

i am hoping the curtain will work out. i know they type that i would like to have. it's the one with a track in the cealing...i have seen them on the aircraft i build. there is no gaps at all in it. i am unsure if anyone sells stuff like that, i know we (our company) makes stuff like that for the airplane.

It's been awhile since I've talked to you. How are you doing?

After a lot of tweaking, changing, etc.. I finally go them to come a live ( a little extra power does help too)

I agree with every body regarding the wall thing, it is easier to put it up later vs trying to take it dow. Also, with a bigger room you won't limit yourself, trust me my RF 83 are screaming for more space in my 10X13 room. I only have two choices to fix this, either sell them or get a bigger house.

I guess I will be moving soon.

For the curtain, there is a solution. You can build a cornice with the railing system inside,it is fairly easy to do and by far the cheapest way to go.

That's what I did in my room, besides the fact that is does look nice and decoratif it also works well. Since 99% of the outside light is cutout, I can watch movies during the day with no problem.

i am doing okay. thanks for asking. the curtains look nice. the idea i was thinking about sounds complicated but isn't. it's a track you mount on the celing itself. the curtain is on a very small track held up by very small rings. that way the curtain goes from the celing to floor with no gaps (or at least very very small). i don't think i have the wall to put a cornice in. it's only a open space.

yeah there the surround speakers i am suppose to be using. i am only using the ksb 1.1's because when i bought them in germany, thats how they had it set up with them as surrounds. man it sounded good, but of course they had a great processor and everything done right. i would love to listen to them. how do they mount to the wall?