Car audio advice.

oldenough

Hi everyone, my 66 toyota will be going in for re-upholstering, seats, carpets and door panels. I would also like to have speakers put in both the front and rear doors. Is there a brand that would be considered to be of high quality or are they all much the same.? I do'nt want to re-mortgage my house to do this, but i do'nt want to skimp either. Obviously high quality sound is #1, flashy looks do'nt come into it.

Ps. It's only a small car, and it dos'nt have suitable corners[;)]

(a) What is your budget? IMHO, and good/decent pair would run you $250 for 2-way separates, or would you be satisfied w/coaxials?

I can think of many in the $200 - $2000 range. (assuming 6.5" size)

Not sure about what size your model Toyota will hold (OEM), but I would highly suggest 6.5" separates for maximum SQ. What about your HU (head unit)? Still factory?

Thanks for the replies. i'm thinking that $400 dollars should get me four decent coaxials. 1966 Toyota Corona did'nt come equipped with radio so i'm going to leave the blanking plate in the dash. I will be using a Clarion vrx -755vd with motorized 7.5" touch screen in a console that is being built for me.

Have you heard the Focal's? I am running MBQuartz Qlines, but they are way overpriced IMHO.

The next project vehicle will be getting Focal V2's (polyglass), and I prefer them over the Kevlar K2 series. Much fuller midrange w/power handling capabilities. Not quite as bright as the K2's, but 1/2 the price.

http://www.focal-america.com/

That's about the price range if I remember correctly, but there are so many on the market. Heck, even Memphis (Msync series) makes a nice full range comp/coaxial series ($200-$300 range).

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/family.asp?id=1

So many choices, but I say let your ears decide! Car Audio and Electronics publishes an annual directory of car audio products in one of their issues, so you can get all sorts of specs, options and ideas. I am sure you are no novice, but just in case, remember some titanium tweeters will normally yield a brighter/harsher hi-end as opposed to a silk-dome or alumunim set up. It all depends upon your listening preferences, so I cannot recommend any one speaker for you.

Best wishes

Mark

this may sound cheesy, but the best bang for the buck co-axials are the infinity reference. the have a soft dome(silk) tweeter which takes away the harshness of most of the metal tweeters widely used. obviously the metal domes handle more power, but just how much power do you plan on using is the question? i have used these in 3 different cars, my brothers boat, and my semi. you will have to put atleast a small amp behind them to make them sound right. but that would be the case for any choice. the head unit won't come close to powering them effectively. if this sparks any interest, i can give you the links to where i've been buying them.

Ok, i'm thinking i might have to take a trip into the big city and have a listen. My stepson seems to think that i will find a good selection around the Vancouver area, and there's bound to be something i like the sound of. I do already have a power amp if i'm in need of extra watts, but im not looking to be waking up the neighborhood, quality sound at reasonable levels.

JB, there is a picture posted on the "What are you driving now" thread. It's an old picture back when i first got the car in 2002, I've since done quite a lot of work on it and it is now my daily driver, keeps the mileage down on the Bentley and i do'nt have to wake up the chauffeur so often.[;)]

Yeah why not! Howsa bout i do it the same color as my bike (see avatar) maybe gold plate some or all the chrome while i'm at it? But hey why stop at 16" rims maybe i could somehow sqeeze something bigger in there, along with those thingies that keep spinning after the wheels stop. You know what now i think of it grey is a pretty boring color for the upholstery, got any suggestions? [:D]

MB Quart used to be good, but they are outsourced overseas and no better than run of the mill speakers that can be had alot cheaper. The titanium tweeters in the Quart's have always been harsh and edgy sounding even when they were on top of their game. Focal's are OK but better for less can be had easily. You are paying for name recognition for items that used to be top notch.

I competed in IASCA from '94 - '97 and had a chance to hear some of the best car systems on the planet including Charlie LaMarca's $100K Corvette with DynAudio's and Velodyne Servo subs and Rane processing.

With a budget of $200 per pair you should be able to get something very nice, if you are going with a video unit are you going to use a center channel speaker and subwoofer? The center speaker can be added to the console you are having built and will make a difference in your soundstage. You can add a ceramic L-Pad to control the volume or shut it off completely if the head unit does not have that ability. A small 8" or 10" SW subwoofer in a small sealed enclosure will round out the bottom end.

If you are not planning on running amplification you need to get efficient front and rear speakers, I would skip the rears and spend $400 on a premium set of front speakers instead unless you ferry passengers with regularity.

You can assemble your own component set with speakers like Vifa, Morel and Peerless from Madisound or Parts Express cheaper and better than most of the component sets available today. Madisound can design the crossover networks for you unless you choose a head unit that can run "active" with crossover points and slopes that you can dial in.

Tons of choices and options it all depends on your sonic goal and your budget. I love the old school products myself 90% of the stuff on the market today is foreign made garbage. The days when Orion, PPI, Zapco, Fosgate, Soundstream, Phoenix Gold, Linear Power and many other manufacturer's made quality products here in the USA are long gone. It's all about cheap watts and SPL these days.

Here is a pair of old school a/d/s speakers that were never used they are coaxials though. They are clean, clear and the bass response is tight and dynamic. Efficiency in the 90-92db range so you get the most out of your power.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ADS-A-D-S-A6i-m-Coaxial-Speakers-Pair-6-5-inch-nice_W0QQitemZ270201804471QQihZ017QQcategoryZ18800QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I run an old school a/d/s component front stage and it is stellar! The sad thing is a/d/s is now owned by Directed Electronics and products are only mediocre at best.

Here is a nice pair of old school Orion's, check the mounting depth in your doors or kick panels where you plan to install them. These are beefy!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORION-XTR-XTREME-6CS-POINT-SOURCE_W0QQitemZ180204138052QQihZ008QQcategoryZ18799QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm about to take the car audio plunge myself. For my birthday last November I got a set of Ozaudio components. They've not been installed as of yet. I just ordered my amps this past week. My sub driver was a Christmas present. Sooner or later I'll get to hear them. My next purchase should be a head unit. One piece at a time............. Can't wait to hear them.

oh yeah, orion xtr's!! that was the day, for sure!! remember the red hcca amps?? i had two orion xtr 12 dvc's in a huge ported box that would rock your world and still sound very tight. i powered my whole system with a 250 sx amp with orions old tri way crossover. although, that was 15 years ago. the stuff they put out now is so downhill from back 'in the day', that i just want to gag. speaking of this brings back really good memories. Frzninvt, had you ever listened to richard clark's grand national? i almost forgot about madisound. i once had a pair of vifa 6.5 mids that were very nice.

I saw Richard Clark's car in person but never sat in it, I also learned alot from David Navone. Richard C. used a DBX 5BX-DS 5 band dynamic range controller that he cannibalized and had secretly stashed in his car. Talk about a secret weapon!

The Orion XTR's and HCCA's are still some of the best amps money can buy, I up until recently rwas unning their cream of the crop XTR-100 & XTR-200 (same as the NT 100 & NT 200) Dual Mono blocks with balanced inputs talk about phenomenal sound quality! I only parted with them to pick up a trio of Series VIII HiFonics amplifiers designed and built by Steve "The Man" Mantz. I run a mere 200 watts and love the look on some of the kids faces spouting off about their 1300 Sony XPlod amps and garbage subs that sound like 10 men beating on the side of a rubber raft.

Here is a photo of my 50W + 50W HiFonics Series VIII Isis (HiFonics has since been bought out twice and is nothing but cheap foreign watts now as well)