My Ten Favorite new recordings of 2007.

pmsummer

Late, I know, but as I survey the new music from 2007, these are the ones that will stay in frequent rotation in my collection. This list is not in any particular order, and it is just MY list.

Posted Image

MY NAME IS BUDDY
Ry Cooder
Nonesuch

As fine a one disc survey of American music as I have ever heard. R&B, Folk, Jazz, Garage Band Rock, it's all here. From Julie London to Howlin' Wolf... Cooder shows us the American Scene on more than one level. A Life Achievement Work.

Posted Image

VITA
Unni Lovlid
Helio

A Nordic prog singer, Lovlid recorded old Swedish folk songs a cappella in a large underground crypt. Her clear, honest voice echoing inside the acoustically active chamber is simply stunning, and unlike anything I have ever heard before.

Posted Image

THE SAD MACHINERY OF SPRING
Tin Hat
Hannibal/Ryko

A Bay-Area based acoustic jazz(?) ensemble (previously the Tin Hat Trio), the odd mixture of instrumentals and instrumentations create a cabaret sound one might have expected to hear from Zurich Dada. There is a under-current of tragedy, but so then Zurich Dada.

Posted Image

GOOD RAIN
Solveig Slettahjell
Slow Motion Quintet
ACT

Swedish jazz and torch singer, with quirky arrangements that just seem fun. It is IS slow motion jazz, with lots of back sounds coming out of nowhere, but the vocal style seems very New Orleans sultry. A real surprise.

Posted Image

THE LARK DESCENDING
Chris Wood
R.U.F Records

Chris Wood has become a major figure in the New Defense of Traditional English Music. Fiddle, guitar, and English concertina, with a voice that feels the pain of an old society that has changed too quickly. An overall melancholic touch, with moments of simple joy. Goes well with a pint.

Posted Image

STARS IN MY CROWN
Jorma Kaukonen
Red House Records

Like Cooder's "Buddy", this stands as a Life Achievement work for Jorma Kaukonen. Mostly Old Time music, with wonderful accompaniments, this is a "grey grass" masterpiece. If you listen carefully, and connect the dots (the liner notes actually add insight), Jorma looks back on his life in both joy and sorrow, but always in thanks. Pretty much my Album of the Year, showing a man with some regrets, but at peace with himself and the world.

Posted Image

THE TRUE FALSE IDENTITY
T Bone Burnett
DMZ

Burnett's first album in over a decade shows a man who most definitely is NOT at peace with the world. This is an angry indictment of our times and our culture, with dense layers of sound that echo the cacophony of 21st century America. The songs, tunes, and musicianship are all first-rate (as expected). The fury is unexpected. I'd categorize this as a prophetic work.

Posted Image

NUOVE MUSICHE
Music from Early Baroque Sources, arranged and adapted by:
Rolf Lislevand
Bjørn Kjellemyr (Performer), Rolf Lislevand (Performer), Arianna Savall (Performer), Guido Morini (Performer), Pedro Estevan (Performer)
ECM New Series

Coming out of Jordi Savall's incredible school of medieval and baroque music, Lislevand (lute player) has put together a carnival of music that shows the connection between late medieval/early baroque music and the modern styles of jazz and pop. Just a whole lot of fun... ancient tunes expanded and transferred to the present day, this takes early music out of the academy and into the streets.

Posted Image

GOOD DOG HAPPY MAN
Bill Frisell
Nonesuch

Another artist entering maturity in comfort. This is a relaxed parade of good time sounds. Tent revivals, bars, county fairs, and campfire tunes. This album is the most aptly named album of the year. The relaxed happiness just flows from the speakers.

Posted Image

WE'LL NEVER TURN BACK
Mavis Staples
Anti-

An atypical recording for Mavis, this flows from her work with Ry Cooder. Whereas in the past, it was her and her family influencing Cooder, now she has brought Ry on board as her producer, and he influences her sound. Social justice is the theme here, especially as a review of the unfinished work of the Civil Rights movement. Buying and playing it on MLK Day would be a good tribute to Dr. King and the struggle that's not as settled as many of us wish it was (or think it is).

Only have 2 for 2007:

John Fogerty

Revival

Every once in awhile there is a record with songs that stick in your mind. This is one of them.

Revival

The Last of the Great Mississippi Delta Bluesmen

Grammy nomination. Originally recorded in 2004, released 2007. Terrific recording. David "Honeyboy" Edwards will be playing in Dallas in Feb.

Blues

JERRY LEE LEWIS : THE LAST MAN STANDING ...................... The DVD and the CD ................. both are different, different guests on each recording ... the CD is good .............. the DVD is EXCELLENT, video and sound Top Notch

LEVON HELM's RAMBLE 2 .............. this DVD comes with a CD too ....... FINE, EXCELLENT, super set from Mr. Helm

LEVON HELM DIRT FARMER ; ............ Great sounding CD ..... songs of the American working man, farmers, miners, life in general .... good ol' American heritage songs .......... not for everyone ......... farmers Blues, if you will ...........

LIVE ON PLANET EARTH ; THE NEVILLE BROTHERS .......... Yes, I know it wasn't released in 2007, but what a great Disc, regardless of release date .... The Nevilles are one talented family, and will be with us for generations ............ I really like, and enjoy this Disc ...... it's a must have ....... these guys are awesome ......... "There's only one race ......... The Human Race" ........... AMEN, Brother ..........

SAGUITAR : ALVIN LEE .................. He's BACCCKK ........... Alvins back playing what he does best ......... One of my Personal Favorites ..... Alvin can make that double cut-away Gibson sound like no other ............. sorta' a 50ish, RockaBilly style of flat out Rock n' Roll ............. If you know Rock Music, you'll know the minute you hear it, it's Alvin Lee .................. plays Bass and Drums too .................. talented guy

Don't real buy much NEW stuff, but this is what I've bought and liked ....................... picky old fart, .......... EH !!!!!!!!!!