Newbie to Klipsch Community and Klipschorn speakers

RodneyakaFlash

This is my first try; hope I don't sound too dumb. Please be patient...Hope I can begin to build knowledge base regarding recommended set up with new Khorn speakers. I currently live in central Georgia; my custom home is under construction. The combination family-living/dining room measures 18feet wide by >30feet in length. Khorns will be placed in corners about 18feet apart. Some questions I have: 1)What is recommended required minimum power output from power/integrated amp?(Am looking at purchase of the hybrid pre and power amps from Audio by Van Alstine). 2.) Recommendations for speaker cables/interconnects? 3.) Do I need to bi-amp these speakers? 4.) How far/close to corners should these speakers be placed? These are just a few of the many questions that I have. The nearest audio "salon"-type store is 45 minutes away in Macon, Georgia (in fact, Ken's Home Theater will have these speakers available for a quoted $7500 per pair, installed with a 5-year warranty). I am new to this area, and thusly, have no one with whom to have an informed conversation regarding (entry-level)high-end audio. Hope someone out there reads and responds to this post. Thanks guys.

Rod..the Flash

Rod,

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new Khorns and new house, too.

A few thoughts on your questions... 20 wpc is often quoted as a minimum for Klipsch Heritage, but people are all over the map. Some folks are delighted with the way Khorns sound with flea powered amps. Conventional wisdom, though, would be to stick with higher power. These preferences are quite subjective.

Van Alstine has a great rep. No problem there. I would suggest consideration of a Juicy Music preamp, though. All the JM preamps are excellent options, IMO. www.juicymusicaudio.com

My bias on cables and wire is that wire is wire. Getting adequate is good. Khorns sound fabulous on lampcord. Any decent speaker wire will do fine.

I'd say "no" on biamping. It's a heck of alot of work and expense to make it sound right, much less an improvement.

Placed in corners 18 ft apart will work fine. You would want to have your sofa or chairs in the sweet spot, though. just my $.02

You're getting together a killer system! Enjoy!

Welcome aboard! The KHorn MUST be placed tight into the corners for the bass to work correctly. It is true that some have them pulled out and are happy with them, but the design calls for them to be snug in the corners. This means that the mid horn and tweeter will be firing at a 45 degree angle back into the room, the left and right crossing about 9 feet from your front wall. Hmmm, it will certainly work, but that will depend on your listening habits, room layout (furniture, etc.).

The long wall might be too far apart. Some of the folks here have built false corners, so they can rotate the speakers a little to suit the environment a little more. I would say that you should first just put them on the short wall and enjoy for a while. The tweaking comes later...

Wish there were more folks in the northern part of the state... [:^)]

Welcome Flash!

1. People use anywhere from fractional watts to mega watts with their speakers, I think it in part depends on you. As for me, I've had an integrated Jolida tube amp, Wright 2A3, McIntosh MC-30's, McIntosh MC-2102, dbx solid state and Transcendent SE-OTL amps attached to my Khorns (when I had them). For my tastes, the Transcendent SE-OTL amps (bridged at 4 watts each) sounded the best but simply pooped out when I wanted to crank it up. so of all the mentioned amps, I sold them all but the Mc-2102 and I've added a Crown K2 to the mix. I'd love to have the sonics I heard with the SE-OTL, mated to the power of the Crowns.

2. I use cheapies so I don't know

3. You won't need to biamp them (though I suppose you could if you wanted and made the appropriate changes)

4. Tucked tightly IN the corners, as already mentioned. (though if you look at the Jubilees, THEY can be pulled out of the corners & keep your sound intact)