Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Jan. 21

thebes

It's cold, its grey, its winter.

So much for the weather report. what did you expect this time of the year.

Me. I just huddle up next to my tubes and gyrate a little.

Feelin restrospective this week so why not to lack to flowerland and those bluesy rockers:

Hot Tuna, "Burgers", country blues/rock/bluegrass

Still great stuff after all these and believe it or not they still perform from time to time. The last breadth of Jefferson Airplane lives on.

Never knew much about them so I looked them up and found this:

Following the release of the eponymous debut album, the band went electric, adding fellow Airplane bandmates Marty Balin and Joey Covington

on lead vocals and drums, respectively. This configuration was

dominated by the latter two's soul-rock compositions and opened most

shows for the parent band throughout late 1969 and 1970. After a string

of disastrous concerts in Jamaica (from which a live album was to be

compiled) marked by flaring tensions between Balin and Kaukonen - a

portion of the group's advance earmarked for the singer had already

been spent without his consent - Casady and Kaukonen briefly resumed

their acoustic performances. In the autumn of 1970, they returned to

the band format, adding violinist Papa John Creach and Texan drummer Sammy Piazza. This line-up was documented on the album First Pull Up, Then Pull Down (1971), recorded live at the Chateau Liberte (a nondescript club favored by the band) in Santa Cruz. The studio albums Burgers (1972) and The Phosphorescent Rat

(1973) followed. These two albums featured compositions mainly of

Kaukonen original material and included some of the guitarist's most

delicate and poetic works. David Crosby

sang supporting vocals on the Burgers track "Highway Song," and

keyboards player Nick Buck made his first appearance on what would

become a semi permanent tenure during the 1970s.

So what do you have to share this week?

It's cold, its grey, its winter.

For this reason my next suggestion, the soundtrack to the film "keinohrhaase" (no ear rabbit, don´t ask, I have not seen the film;)) from actor/producer Til Schweiger

The Killers - Mr. Brightside (Jacques Lu Cont Mix)

Deepest Blue - Deepest Blue

Is It Love (Score)

Rea Garvey - Anna & Ludo / Hold Me Now

Springtimes (Score)

Angels & Airwaves – Lifeline

Autumn Leaves (Score)

Keane - Everybody's Changing

Prefab Sprout - Looking For Atlantis

Rain (Score)

Bloc Party - I Still Remember

Liquid (Score)

Angels & Airwaves - Everything's Magic

Some Time (Score)

Au Revoir Simone - Sad Song

Timbaland feat. OneRepublic – Apologize

A Rainy Day In Vancouver (Score)

Kashmir - Rocket Brothers

Perfect Circle (Score)

Cheyenne Blue (Score)

This is a compellation of Pop, Rock, Alternative and classic Film score. Although not "normal top 40" material this is a nice laid back, drink your wine type of CD with good earworm quality.

Ran

perf-dvd.jpg

This is more of a Rock-N-Roll movie recommendation. I have never been a big Stones. A friend brought over a copy of a film Jagger was in called Performance. I love 1960's movies and even though it was technically made in 1970 it has the late 60's vibe. There is a scene where Jagger is covering some Robert Johnson songs and they are damm near perfect covers. It is worth watching this film just for that performance. BRILLIANT! I think Jagger's much younger voice really helps match Robert Johnson. I have to find the soundtrack to the movie.

excerpt from a review.

James Fox portrays a London gangster who has to hide away for awhile and ends up staying with a fading rock star (Mick Jagger). The latter recognizes something of his old, daring self in the violent criminal, and after pushing open the boundaries of the hood's experience with psychedelics, the two men begin to intertwine as one. The film is an exciting pool of ideas about real and presumed power, about the mysteries of "performance" as a pressing outward toward an abandonment of identity and embrace of revelation. Beneath it all, however, is Roeg and Cammell's suspicion that the worlds of these two men--pop shaman and underworld soldier--are not dissimilar in their self-serving goals. --Tom Keogh

Have been giving the Cornwalls a steady diet of Oldbuckster music, and this shows up in the mail, forgot I ordered it, between finding the Cornies, listening, getting new xovers, listening some more, forgot I had some CD's on back order, So this makes for a write-up .................

THE J. GEILS BAND .................... 1970 ................ CD .... Digitally Remastered .....

Here are the One and Only Boston Bad Boys, the J. Geils Band, with their debut album. R+B Rockers, don't know how else to describe them, Lay down those old Blues riffs, and let 'em rip. Peter Wolf on vocals, a great frontman, endless stage chatter, another ball of energy up front. I have to come clean here, I have seen J. Geils 4 times, each time they had climbed higher up the ladder of success, bare bones equipment the first time, the last time a stage full of all white equipment, a display of how far they came, in a short time. They are one of my favorite bands, such a great LIVE show band, and I will always hold a special place for them, but near the end they got off track, their music became sterile FM radio, Peter got hung-up in Hollywood, and everything fell apart. So, back to the beginning......

Every song here is a bluesy style rockers, six of the songs they wrote themselves. doesn't take only a few notes, and you know where they are headed. I think it took alotta' guts to put this album out at the time they did. Here's the song list, I know you know many of these songs, maybe haven't heard them quite like this...

!. Wait

2. Ice Breaker

3. Cruisn' for Love

4. Hard Driven Man

5. Serves You Right To Suffer

6. Homework

7. First I Look at the Purse

8. What's Your Hurry

9. On Borrowed Time

10. Pack Fair and Square

11. Sno-Cone

High energy songlist to be sure, check this album out, good beginning for a Party Time Band. If You find you like this, please try, FULL HOUSE LIVE, and get a mouth full of The J. Geils Band, .... powerful performance ....... simple, straight forward, great partying, dancing, and Drinkin' tunes .....