my klipsch speakers

becca

Hi Becca,

Welcome to the forum!

I take it there is not a serial number paper attached to the back?
If you look at the back edge of the top piece of wood, is there a serial number stamped into the wood?

How did you get them 20 years ago? Used? From family? This info might help track down more history about the speakers.

Congrats on your love of Klipsch. Indeed you have been blessed with some of the most pleasing loudspeakers for a large part of your life.

Kimball

yes there is a # burned into the wood and yes they have a paper tag on the back this is what it looks like

i got the speakers years ago from a very dear sweet man i guess you could say he felt the love i had for these

they are truly a gift :)

i hope to hear from you again soon loud and clear thanks for the wonderful welcome i have a feeling

im gonna love it here :) peace Becca

post-29667-13819359700006_thumb.jpg

Becca,

The "T" in the serial number tells us they were built in 1979. Are you looking to buy another pair? If so, and if you are trying to match this pair, you will want to find another pair that is close to the same age so it will have the same components. They come up for sale fairly regularly. You just have to be a little patient.

Welcome to the forum.

- Gary

welcome Becca, your home town location is very important for this size of speaker. you don't want to pay to have these shipped. try to find a set within driving distance. i have the same year lascalas ( T ) 1979 as you do. gave them to my son when he bought his first home along with a belle center.

you should be able to pick up a nice used set of these for around $800 - $1200

Hey Becca....you should re-new tha caps in the crossovers atleast...then maybe get Bob Crites tweeters for them.I got a pair of birch laq. stained LaScalas that i bought new and im going to re-veneer them.I did my K-Horns with Bobs tweets and Woofers and changed the crosover freq. and i love it.We will be glad to help you on here again Welcome...Rick PS where are you located maybe someone is close to you to help if you need it

As all said, welcome to the Forum

I have a pair of LS-BR (LaScala Birch Raw) 22T403 & 13, and from a pencilled date appears to have been made in July of 1979. Yours would have been in May or June, or perhaps April.

To echo ricktate (and others), the capacitors in the crossovers (mounted on the board in the top section when viewed from behind) are likely dried out and should be replaced. Replacing the "caps" is probably the greatest improvement/ upgrade you can do for the LaScalas. It will return the sound to about as close to the original as can be done at a reasonable cost.

"Caps" can be done yourself (or a friend or family member if handy with a soldering iron), or there are a number of folks on the Forum who can do it for you and are very reasonable and reliable. BEC, DeanG, and others come to mind. Send them an email or private message.

Replacing tweeters? I'd wait until after doing the caps.

The missing emblems can be had from Klipsch Parts (800-274-5547 and option 5, or just press 0 and ask the receptionist for parts).

Another pair? As mentioned, they can be had for between about $700 and $1000 dependent upon condition. Given current shipping costs and problems with packing and shipping if not done very well, be prepared to drive several hundred miles to find a good pair.

Always, if possible, audition a pair, look at the rear and make sure the serial numbers are still stamped in the wood, or better, the stickers are still there; check and make sure that the drivers are what they are supposed to be (That's where the Forum members can help); as an example if someone has a pair for $500.... tell us on the forum what the seller is saying regarding the drivers and serial numbers. Someone can then provide some advice, etc. before you make the trip to look at them. Do not buy a pair (from that era - 70's - 80's) with the serial number ground off, etc. There have been several instances of stolen Klipschorn's and LaScala's in the last few years (in South Florida anyways). Missing serial numbers is a dead giveaway....

You can also post a "thread" in the Garage Sale section, say "WTB: LaScala's", etc. The key is going to be the location of a seller for the reasons cited. Also, a forum member with a pair to sell will most likely be reliable and known to other members.

If you get ambitious and want to refinish them, etc.... There are a number of very good resources on the forum.

Good Luck, have fun and enjoy them!!

• 1 month later...