I found some cornwalls!

Speakmeister

In my welcome from the Rocky Mountains post I got some great advise from everyone to look for some Cornwalls. Well, I found a pair the are poorly stained birch, they have the solder terminal K55's and seem mechanically perfect. The journey begins. I will hook them up to a stereo 70 I found to begin with. I hope all goes well.

Poorly stained? - No problem!!! After a good "listen", take out the drivers & crossovers, send the crossovers off to BEC or someone (unless you are comfortable with doing it), and then get out the ole' orbital sander with some 180 grit pads, bondo for the chips and dents, buy some paperbacked veneer that matches your other wood, some "heatlock" glue, and go for it!!! Cornwalls and Heresys are 'flat out' the easiest Heritage speakers to refinish!!

I think you might like them. [;)]

But I know you'll like them better one you replace the caps in the crossovers (it will take you an hour or so). Contact Bob Crites around these parts (BEC), and buy a rebuild kit from him.

The longer you put it off, the greater the shock will be when you bring 'em back to spec.

Thanks for all the kind words. I will get after those crossovers soon.

As for sound, I have been listening to them for several days now and really am discovering my music collection all over again. The Cornwalls sound really exciting and seem to dig down deeper than the specifications suggest, with a little mid bass warmness. I really love the dynamics of these things, music just sounds right.

I am interested in a venner project, however I have heard it can be tricky in the Denver area to to the dry air. What type of veneers are available in the paper back variety? I assume they would be less prone to cracking than the non backed variety. What glues are suggested? Do you need special tools to cut the veneer or would a sharp box cutter work?

Thanks