Bose Wave System

Lil' Brian

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as he enjoys it who cares.

Exactly.

Why are so many on this site obsessed with Bose?

Next to Klipsch, the two brands most often mentioned on this site seem to be Bose and Monster.

One would think they would be simply ignored and avoided.

Hint: The opposite of love is not hate. It is indifference.

I too don't understand the BOSE bashing that goes on here, more people know about BOSE than they do Klipsch. If it was up to my wife, BOSE would be here ...................... but, I'm still alive, so she'll have to wait. Really, the wave radio system is all most folks want .... big sound, small package, ... ME, I'm a big sound, BIG package Guy ................ [^o)] .... ooops ... [:$]

I mentioned in another thread that the old school 501's and 601's didn't sound *too* bad - certainly leagues better than the 901's or the AM/Lifestyle systems, but required gobs of power.

The only other Bose product I like - and actually would probably do with a completely different driver if I were ever inclined to build such a beast - is the Acoustic Wave Cannon... I have heard a few in auditoriums and theatres - and it is pretty neat.

Posted Image

Buck, I hear you and it did sound like there was something else going on. I'll gladly admit I've owned their products in the past (901's & bought the Wave a few weeks ago) but I'm pretty sure I'm done now. Klipsch speakers sound awful to some, huh? Wow, that is a different stroke! (to my ears) What's the main beef?

Some will say, the Horns blare,and are too overpowering, they like a smoother, more subdued sound .... there are many on this forum that don't use Klipsch, many like JBL's, I remember the days when Bose 901's were the speakers, always expensive by the time you get the equalizer, and stands, but they sounded good to me, and to see 901's complete sell for $500. and under, is almost evil, they like any other speaker, had to be positioned correctly for proper sound reflection. They can say what they want about Bose, they know how to advertise, and advertise they do, and they have sales representives that visit college campuses .... The majoity of the average Joe stereo owner knows about Bose, and owns Bose, that my friend is great marketing, and they sound good ............. Me, I stick with Klipsch, that's my choice, and bottom line, it's my money I'm spending ...... My Wife and Son still shake their heads when they look at the Cornwalls ...... Oh Well, it's just life in Bucksterville ..........

I think there is no better illustration of the power of advertising. Bose has convinced the masses that its technology is superior to all others. If they spend $57 million put ads in 400+ magazines, a lot of people are going to be persuaded. In addition to the major magazines, they put ads in places like Parade (the newspaper insert), and even my rural electric company's monthly publication. This blanket coverage is combined with aggressive litigation to prevent any other company's use of terminology remotely similar to theirs (as does Monster). For example, Bose successfully sued a company QSC who wanted to label a product "PowerWave." The courts decided that Bose Acoustic Wave was already an established "name," and ruled that PowerWave was an infringement. In other words, they don't play nice.

I googled "Bose advertising budget" and found the financial info below from an older CNET article/interview with a Bose spokesperson. Clearly, their ad budget will have increased from 1999. Surely most other audio/HT companies' ad budgets are a fraction of Bose's.

BOSE CORPORATION

Headquarters: Framingham, Massachusetts

Total annual revenues: $950 million (estimated)

Major brands: Bose audio products including music systems and speakers for the home, office and auto.

Total ad dollars spend in magazines, 1999: $53.2 million

AD PAGES AND SPENDING BY
                         BOSE IN MAGAZINES IN THE
DIRECT-RESPONSE CATEGORY
Ad Pages Ad Dollars
1991 64 $1,524,557
1992 63 2,597,016
1993 79 3,659,929
1994 218 3,659,929
1995 223 10,911,393
1996 199 11,457,138
1997 360 34,091,440
1998 451 52,727,004
1999 320 45,767,140
SOURCE: PUBLISHER'S INFORMATION BUREAU

This blanket coverage is combined with aggressive litigation to prevent any other company's use of terminology remotely similar to theirs (as does Monster). For example, Bose successfully sued a company QSC who wanted to label a product "PowerWave." The courts decided that Bose Acoustic Wave was already an established "name," and ruled that PowerWave was an infringement. In other words, they don't play nice.

IANAL but that Is Outrage !

Acoustic Wave is such a generic technical description (c.f. Electromagnetic Wave, Light Wave) that it IMO deserves no such protection, or at least not that given in the lawsuit.

I know people who will argue that Klipsch are awful sounding speakers, .... different strokes for different folks ............. EH !!!!!!!!!

So true OB. A friend of mine still comments on my change from a Mission based system to Kilcpsh. Must admit it took me a little while to get accustomed to the sound. No going back now.

I had ESS AMT's before Klipsch KG4's took awhile to like the KG's, but a harder thing was going from 2 ways, ESS and KG's, to the 3 way Heresy II's, hard time adjusting to the mids .......... but after awhile I really noticed how much more outfront the Horns become, I like a Horn section, and have grown quite fond of the sound, and now with the Cornwalls .... NO PROBLEM ......

IANAL but that Is Outrage !

Acoustic Wave is such a generic technical description (c.f. Electromagnetic Wave, Light Wave) that it IMO deserves no such protection, or at least not that given in the lawsuit.

Well, hey, a woman won large $ by suing McDonalds because she spilled their hot coffee in her lap. It's hard to predict, or understand, those crazy court decisions.[*-)]

Well, hey, a woman won large $ by suing McDonalds because she spilled their hot coffee in her lap. It's hard to predict, or understand, those crazy court decisions.Confused

An actual research into that specific case would in fact show that the decision was not so "crazy". I would guess that few cases have been so mis-reported.