Suggestions on receivers for use with K-horns

RobV

I have a pair of K-horns from the 1970's. Ran them with a Hafler pre-amp and a marantz amplifier years ago, but these electronics have been long deceased. More recently have used a Yamaha receiver of moderate power, but this receiver doesn't have low enough volume adjustability for operation of the speakers at quiet levels (background music in the room during conversations). Another problem with this receiver is that the rotary selector switch on the front panel is of poor quality and is starting to have intermittent internal connections.

I would like to keep things simple with a smallish to moderate size receiver suitable for good sound with better control to low volume levels. I would like to use these speakers all of the time rather than remotes when I need quieter volume levels near the speakers' locations. Since most receivers seem designed for less efficient speakers, I would appreciate any suggestions for a suitable receiver for my requirements with the K-horns.

Thanks!

Rob V

When you had used the Hafler pre & the Marantz amp, did you like the sound? That may not be a bad combination.

If you are not averse to used equipment, there would be some fun vintage equipment to try that would be quite affordable. This includes Luxman (from the 1980s), Harman Kardon (X30 series), Nakamichi SR series (stasis) which is what I use with my Heresy, Yamaha (before the mid 1980s) and Marantz. There is a bunch of stuff out there that is reasonably priced (less than $200).

The one problem you might run in to is that the K-Horns have so much efficiency that any noise, hiss or hum will be faithfully reproduced. This will be a problem with older equipment. As far as newer equipment goes, I am just not inspired by the any of the affordable stuff.

Wait, you are about to get bombarded by others with a bunch of expensive solutions ....

Good Luck,

-Tom

I depends on what you like and whether you'd like to spend a hundred bucks or so experimenting.

I do think that a major issue is that modern high power amps are a problem.

I run a an old JVC receiver from 1974. It is low power and works well on my home make horns. You could probably find something like this for $50.

I also run a shoe box sized Sony CD-Tuner circa 2002 with Forte II. Wonderful.

I do have another thought. The Tripath amps get some rave reviews. Take a look at www.partsexpress.com and Sonic Impact (20 watts). If your present receiver has an output with volume control, you could feed a Sonic Impact. For $135 it could be worth the experiment.

Gil

Welcome to the forum, RobV!

A twin powered Harman Kardon 430 may be just what you desire.

I have both the 730 and 930, which are great old receivers, but some say the 430 sounds even better at low volumes.

Keep in mind these are thirty + year old receivers.

But they cost less than a c-note. Nice tuner section in them, also.

Many Klipsch heritage owners find vintage H/K twin powered receivers a fantastic match for thier high efficiency speakers.

Search this website under H/K or Harman Kardon 430 and see what they say.

I use an Outlaw http://www.gspr.com/outlaw/rr2150_design.html and tube amps on a A/B switchbox. I really like this outlaw doodad.

MM MC phono inputs, tuner, USB input, jack for iPod stuff on front. Has everything I wanted to keep music at my wife's fingertips w/o a lot of buttons to press. Doesn't have switched plugs on back as I recall, but does have 12v trigger. I really think it sounds good and it's darn quiet to me. Course it only looks kinda retro.

I use an Outlaw http://www.gspr.com/outlaw/rr2150_design.html and tube amps on a A/B switchbox. I really like this outlaw doodad.

MM MC phono inputs, tuner, USB input, jack for iPod stuff on front. Has everything I wanted to keep music at my wife's fingertips w/o a lot of buttons to press. Doesn't have switched plugs on back as I recall, but does have 12v trigger. I really think it sounds good and it's darn quiet to me. Course it only looks kinda retro.

Walnut KHorns w/ALK, VRDs, Blueberry, Project RM5 w/D103R, Monster HTS 3600

Required WAF System modifications:
Added Outlaw RR2150
Added Sony 50 disc changer

You have BB/ VRD and like this reciver? Interesting! OUTLAW does have a nice repuation on HT and I read a good review on the reciver.

For a no frills integrated, NAD 3020 can be had for maybe 100- 150 usd. I ilke mine in the bedroom allot on the RB-5s.

To really enjoy pre 1990s K Horns or any Heritage speaker you really need to have the crossovers recapped. All the mega buck amps in the world will not make old crossover networks sound good.

I've been using a 2005 model Yamaha RX-V750 receiver with my La Scalas for a couple of years. The volume dials down to below a whisper when needed and has no audible noise at all. When I added a high-power Yamaha power amp, I had a bit of noise until I upgraded the receiver-to-amp interconnect, but all is quiet now. The sound is clean and clear.

Updating the 1974 crossovers with Sonicaps made a very noticeable improvement in the sound.