Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

Lonelobo,

You'd have a field day at my house. I have about 500 to 1,000 NM LPs I'd be willing to part with for next to nothing. Good titles too. No Polka or Guy Lombardo (gave all that stuff away long ago). Lots of good classic rock (Little Feat/Floyd/Tull/etc) and plenty of good classical and jazz. I was a thrift store junkie for a few years before I got hooked on Japanese and other audiophile pressings and had to start all over.

Just get in the car and head northeast. If you hit the Atlantic Ocean, you've gone too far!

Counted coup on OldTimer in Denton today. I had to go to UNT for a meeting so I planned a little vinyl scrounging party afterwards. Here's the haul at my first stop:

British Pressing/His Master's Voice, Arturo Toscanini conducting the B.B.C. Symphony Orchestra, "Popular Favorites, NM NM, Cat. ALP 1235

EMI Abbey, "James Galway witht the London Virtuosi, Beethoven/Bach/Telemann", NM EX, Cat. CFP 40318

Marble Arch British Pressing, "Beethoven Piano Concerto Nol 5 in E Minor op.73" Ludwig Hoffman w/ the London Philharmonic, Stein cond. Ex Ex , Cat. Mal 550

Allegro "Peer Gynt Suites No.1& No.2, Philharmonic Orch. , Con Franz Donauer, NM EX , Cat. ALL713

Columbia 6 eye, "Grand Canyon Suite", Andre Kostelanetz Orch, VG VG, CL 716

CBS Great Performances, "Beethoven's 9th, Philadelphia Orch/Morman Tabernacle Choir", Ormandy cond., NM NM CAT.60134

Epic, "The Most Beautiful Horn in the World/ Bobby Hackett", EX NM, Promotional LP, Cat.BN 26080

RCA Victor Red Seal Records, "Treasury of Immortal Performances/ Caruso" , G G+, Cat. LCT-1007

Archiv Prodktion, "Corelli, Violin Sonatas" Eduard Melkus, NM EX, Cat 2533 133

EMI "Choral Classics" Bach Choir & Jacques Orchestra, Mendelssohn/Brahms/Mozart/Vaughan-Williams/Stanford/Parry, NM EX Cat. CFP 113

Columbia Masterworks, "Handel Messiah" Phil Orchestra/Morman Tabernacle, 2lp set, VG Poor, Cat. M2L 263

Angel "Belshazzar Feast", Philharmonia Orchestra/Sir William Walton, NM NM, Cat. S35681

Summit "Beethoven Sonata NO.9/Sonata No.5" Denes Zsigmondy, violin Anneliese Nissen, Piano, Sealed, Cat SUM 5029

Musical Heritage Society, "Italian Baroque Christmas Concerti" Polish Chamber Orch., Maksymiuk, cond. NM EX , Cat. MHS 4991K

Musical Heritage Society 2 lp set, "Kremer plays Bach", Academic Symphony Orchestra of the Lleningrad State Philharmonia, NM G+ , Cat MHS 824324

Musical Heritage Society 2 lp set, "Antonio Vivaldi, LA CETRA Op.9 Piero Toso, Juan Carlos Rybin, Ronald Valpreda, Violinists, NM G+, Cat MHS 824397

Musical Heritage Society, "Marc-Antoine Charpentier, Messe pour le Samedy de Pasques, Schola Cantorum of the Church of St. Mary the Virgin, NM EX Cat MHS 4133

Musical Heritage Society, "Brahms and Franck Violin Sonatas", Oistrakh, Violin Richter, Piano, NM EX MHS 3956

Musical Heritage Society 2 lp set, "Beethoven Complete Works for Violin and Piano, Vol 1", Zukerman/Violin, Barenboim/Piano NM EX, MHS 8277143W

Musical Heritage Society, "Louis Spohr, Concerto for Violin and Harm/Sonata for Flute and Harp" English Chamber Orch, NM EX, Cat MHS 3120

Musical Heritage Society, "Walter Narmburg Foundation presents Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg", NM VG, Cat MHS 7558H

Musical Heritage Society, "Ferruccio Busoni, The two Sonatas for Violin and Piano" NM NM Cat MHS 3355

Musical Heritage Society, "Arcangelo Corelli, Six Trio Sonatas from OPP 1 &3, NM E, Cat MHS 1734

Musical Heritage Society, "Aram Khachaturian, Violin Concerto in D Minor", Moscow Radio Symphony Orch, NM EX , cat 4340

Vox Box Box Set 3lp set, "Beethoven, The Complete Chamber Music" Trio Bell'Arte, NM G , Cat. SVBX 599

Everest 5 lp Box Set, "5 Centuries of the Harp" Nicanor Zabaleta, NM G , Cat 3144/5, I don't know why I got these as I am not a harp fan.

Musical Heritage 3lp box set, "Rimsky-Korsakov, Le Coq d'or" Moscow Radio Chorus, Opera and Symph., NM G Cat MHS 4142/44

9 other LP's I won't mention. Oops, already did...

Total Bill: $35

Went to my next Denton stash store and found:

Radio Canada International La Flute Monderne, Lise Daoust, NM VG , Cat RCI 535

Columbia Promotional lp, "Rampal Encores" Tokyo Concert orch, ex g, Japanese Pressing

Creative World Records, "Journey to Capricorn" Stan Kenton, VG G Cat. ST 1077

Murray Hill Records, Gershwin "Rhapsondy in Blue" Pittsburgh Symph., EX No Jacket , this one's for Mallette's PAW, she collects Rhapsody in Blue

Musical Heritage Society, "Christmas in the Great Cathedral of Reims" Andre Marchal at the great organ, NM g+, Cat MHS 818

Total Bill, $5

Then, on to Half Price Books in Lewisville to find :

Forum Records, "Dorothy Donegan at the Embers", EX G, Cat 9003

STAX, "Albert King/Years Gone By", NM G+ Cat. STS 2010

These 2 alone were close to $20, mostly for the STAX.

Has anyone else noticed that Half Price vinyl prices are climbing. They used to have great selections of everyday players for $1.99 and $2.99 max. Now, all their everyday stuff is $3.99 and $4.99 and the good finds that used to be a dollar more are being priced upwards of $15-$20. I'm afraid that vinyls' comeback may be hazardous to my bank account in the future. Still, the software side of this obsession is relatively inexpensive.

Anybody out there know any record stores in Mexico City? They gotta have some vinyl in Mexico City!!!

Boy, I'll take all that nasty Little Feat/Lowel George stuff off your hands, and some Baltimore crabcakes while you're at it. I've got Japenese and audiophile pressings as well, but the great expensive stuff was inspired by the orginal pressings and I have a lot of original pressings that will give some of the audiophile half speed/dbx/lowfat/latte/super vinyl/hyperorgasmatron pressings a run for their money and beat quite a few of them....and they cost 50 cents! Many ARE crap that I buy via thrift etc. and I have a bin of "what the "He$)" was I thinking when I bought this" lps that gets emptied periodically. For me, the chase is a fun part of this insanity. Viva la differanc'e!

Certain labels like Columbia tend to blow away most of the reissues with the original 2 and 6 eyes. Most 60s/70s rock however is a different story. Jazz of course is a whole other can of worms. I understand the chase though. Been doing it a long time. Now, instead of coming home with 20 LPs each visit, I usually come home with one LP per 5 or more visits. It's still fun when you find that one worth bringing home!

My goal is to get to where you are now in terms of discrimination. You must understand, though, that I am more interested in volume now, so that I can be more interested in culling later. The other thing that everyone must acknowledge is that we are in the golden era of vinyl availability. There IS a curve concerning when all this vinyl was originally purchased and when the original owners pass and disperse it back to the universe, minus all the copies that were destroyed by helter and skelter, used by the twins for placemats, etc. I admit that at the moment I spend more time collecting than listening and that is just WRONG. But I have mitigating circumstances that prevent the listening part at this time, so I content myself as best I can. One of my goals this year is to listen to more of the primary source, ie. live music. I am surrounded by it and it's cheap...all I have to do is go to it and listen. Since most of us listen in private settings, it's easy to forget that music is meant to be shared and is at it's heart a communal activity. It's a strange paradox actually, that music is so often recorded in a sterile environment and people think that that's good. I've worked in my share of studios, including sound stages and recording studios and they are marvelous examples of technological prowess...and absolutely void of life! My current obsession in vinyl is live recordings. All you have to do is listen to Little Feats "Waiting for Columbus" right next to their studio takes of the same tunes to realize that something is missing from the studio recordings. I'll take all the audience coughs, farts, babies crying, occasional bad accoustics, and poor mic placement over perfect(ly) boring music every time. To me, studio recordings are recordings of rehersals. Think about it...and GO LISTEN TO SOMETHING LIVE!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Had a couple of minutes to spare yesterday and did my 2 local thrifts with no real hopes as I had hit them up just a couple of weeks back and pretty much cleaned them of all decent Vinyl. What I learned is that frequency is important. At the 1st shop that I NEVER find any vinyl at, I made my best score. LP's were lying flat on shelves instead of vertical...coulda been there all along and I just never saw them. They are:

Steve Winwood, "Back in the High LIfe", Island Records, NM NM

Steve Winwood, "Arc of a Diver", Island Records, NM NM

Cat Stevens, "Greatest Hits", A&M Prior to his conversion, NM NM

Eurythmics, "Be Yourself Tonight", Cat. AJL1-5429, NM NM

Manheim Steamroller, "Christmas", NM EX

R.E.O. Speedwagon "R.E.O/T.W.O" NM NM

Dan Fogelberg, "Souvenirs" NM EX

Dire Straights, "Brothers in Arms", NM NM

John Mayall, "The Turning Point" Amazing Drumless R&B Get thee to listen to this...

Johnny Winter, "Saints & Sinners" NM NM

Bruce Springsteen, "Born in the U.S.A", NM NM

The Lotions, "The Lotions", Stork Records, NM NM

Albert King, "I'm in a Phone Booth, Baby", Fantasy Records, NM NM

Free, "Fire and Water", NM NM

Compilation, "An Austin Rythm and Blues Christmas" w/Fabulous Thunderbirds, Charlie Sexton, Lou Ann Barton, Angela Strehl, Sarah Brown, Paul Ray Kaz Jazz Quartet

Guy Clark, "The Best of Guy Clark", NM NM

Total Bill was $37, a bit high for my taste...but then it's all good and still cheap thrills. Thrifty but not super thrifty.

Went to my 2nd thrift where they always have a large stack of mostly devestated and sandpapered vinyl. There I found:

YES, "Close to the Edge", Ex EX

Promo Copy of Emerson Lake & Palmer, "Works", VG EX

Seals & Crofts soundtrack lp from "One on One", NM EX....just to see what it is really

" Itzhak Perlman plays Fritz Kreisler" Angel, EX EX

Atco Records, "Mr Acker Bilk in Paris", NM NM, this will be either clarinet heaven or hell, worth the price of admission to find out.

RCA , Pete Fountan, "Live in New Orleans, Dixieland", VG VG

Command Records, "Reeds and Percussion" produced by Enoch Light, Ex Ex. How can you resist with performers like Moe Wechsler, Toots Mundello and Al Klink.

Dancing Percussion, "Music of the 30's", NM NM, another must have for the masochistic audiophile

Total Bill, a little over $10.

Also, met my first and only competition at this store on this visit. Normally I have the entire stack to myself and never worry about someone else shopping for vinyl.

That Command disc will blow your socks off... Bring it down sometime soon. It's about time to rape and pillage Houston for vinyl.

I'd be interested in hearing the Pete Fountain. RCA is so variable, except for all the Dynawarp stuff which is uniformly awful. Pete's records for Coral are awesome.

Dave

Nothing today. Just took 10 bags of designer clothes over and did a scan of equipment, records, etc. The stuff that was there was mostly kmart all in one stuff. The 600 CD's I donated a few months ago are selling pretty good...not much left on those. Came home with a cigar box with a built in humidity meter.......umm...yeah...don't smoke and don't have any cigars.

He probably thought it was pretty neat and it didn't cost much. I passed by a thrift shop and was tempted to buy the binoculars that had a built-in AM radio in the carrying case. So you could listen to the radio commentary while watching the game, I guess.

I know exactly what he's going to do with that humidor! An ancient audiophile thread on a long defunct listserve scientifically verified that storing your cartridges at a constant 65% humidity improved thier expansiveness while increasing their darkness without damping the velvetious smoothness of the mid-range. They were in the process of building a long, thin, flexible humidor to house speaker cables to see if the effects were universal or limited to cartridges and styli when the listserv crashed and the results of the experiment were never posted. However, many speculate that the website was brought down by an unnamed cable manufacturer who had sought out and found the holy grail of cable in a Lowes...or was it a Home Depot and didn't want the public to know the truth. Speakerfritz, your secret is safe with me. Now where is MY humidor?

They are all ripped in various different forms on our home network . Multiple copies. 3 different tiers of storage. Aside from 3 media servers which also have copies. I have not played individual CD's in a quite a while. I was happy to see them sold and used.

I passed by a thrift shop and was tempted to buy the binoculars that had a built-in AM radio in the carrying case.  So you could listen to the radio commentary while watching the game, I guess.

Or, so you could have background music while spying on your neighbors...

Another round of thrift stores a couple of days ago yielded some good and some wierd stuff:

A&M Records, "White Mansions, A tale from the American Civil War 1861-1865", supported by Bernie Leadon, Eric Clapton, Dave Markee, Henry Spinetti and Tim Hinkley. Haven't listened to it yet but it has a booklet documenting the war and containing lyrics. For 99 cents I had to have it out of curiosity. Very strange.

Guest Star Records, "Jonah Jones and Selections by the River Boat Six, The greatest Dixieland Ever" Cat GS-1473, EX VG, I can't find this in my Goldmine Jazz LP collectors guide, though there is plenty of Jonah Jones. But nothing on this label. I have listened to it and it is a mix of pure Dixieland with some straight ahead small group jazz thrown in. Very strange ping ponging of the stereo track, like the engineer was left alone while drinking. Would love to know more.

Warner Bros. "Bob James /David Sanborn/Double Vision", EX NM,

Verve, Kai Winding "More" featuring Kenny Burrell, Cat V-8551, EX VG, another strange one. Kind of like the Ventures on trombone and brass

Electra, Simply Red "Picture Book", EX NM,,just because I don't have any yet.

ZZ Top, "Eliminator" NM NM, BILLY DUSTY FRANK FOREVER!!!!!!

Columbia, Journey "Escape", NM NM really just for the cover art

Alabama, "Mountain Music", NM EX, everyone needs some Redneck Rock...

A&M, Brian Adams "Cuts like a Knife" NM NM

ABC Parammount, Cat ABC 499, Mono recording of The Tams, "Hey Girl, Don't Bother Me!" VG VG A genre I don't have much of...every once in a while you feel the need.

Andreas Vollenweider, "White Winds", I ran out of clay targets...don't ask

Westminster Gold Series, Handel*Water Music*Scherchen, Vienna State Opera Orchestra, Cat WGS-8114, NM NM

Argo Records, "Golden Brass, Brass Music of the 16th & 17th Centuries form England, Italy, and Germany" The Philip Jones Brass Ensemble, Cat ZRG 717 , NM NM

Angel Recording, "Carmina Burana" Adre Previn conducts London Symphony Orch & Chorus., Cat S-37117, NM NM

Columbia Red Six Eye, Andre Kostelanetz, "Grand Canyon Suite", P G , Cat CL 716

Columbia Masterworks Box Set, "The Art of Eurgene Ormandy" celebration of his 30th Anniversary with the Phil. Orch. Beethoven's 8th, Wagner Prellude and Love-Death, Tchaikovsky Romeo and Julliet, Debussy Afternoon of a Faun, Ravel La valse. Radio Station Service stickers on box. G NM Cat M2L338

Capitol, Bizet "L'Arlesienne Suite", Faure "PPelleas and Melisande Suite", Paris Opera Orchestra, VG EX

Columbia Masterworks Black Six Eye, Philadelphia Orchestra, William Tell Overture, VG VG

Columbia Masterworks Black Six Eye, Brahms:Symphony No. 2, Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra of New York, ML 5125 G VG

COlumbia Odyssey, Mozart "Requiem" Bruno Walter and the New York Philharmonic. EX EX, I didn't have a Requiem...

Epic, Compilation of the Concertgebouw Orchestra of Amsterdam, Cat LC 3349, VG VG, just for grins

The Vienna Boys Choir, "Britten: A Ceremony of Carols", NM NM Cat Arl1-3437

Broadway Album, "Les Miserables", complete with a playbill for the performance at the Music Hall at the Great State Fair of Texas, June of 1989

99cents each.

A fun day of scratchin around.

Ok, this is getting old. I know I started this thread, but surely someone else out there is buying vinyl. But if I have to do it alone, I will.... twood be nice to see some comments from someone other than me. Maybe I'm just pathetic in my unending search for more vinyl but it keeps me on the streets. So here's today's finds from a thrift that I hit just last week but was apparently replenished.

Kama Sutra Label, Brewer and Shipley-"Shake off the Demon", Ex Ex ...who ARE these guys? I'm going to find out.

Warner Bros. "James Taylor's Greatest Hits" , VG VG, Cat. BS 2979

Reprise Records, "John B. Sebastian, Self Titled" VG VG Cat R6379

Atlantic, "Foreigner 4", NM NM, Cat. SD16999

Atlantic, Foreigner "Agent Provocateur" NM NM

A&M, Cat Stevens "Foreigner", Nm NM, SP4391, I actually thought this was a Foreigner LP that I didn't know about till I got it home and found that Cat Stevens was embossed into the jacket. Includes a very heavy cardboard insert with original art by the Catman himself. Haven't heard this one anywhere in my limited past. We'll have to see.

Electra, Carly Simon "No Secrets" EX EX, Cat EKS-75049

Island Records, Steve Winwood "Back in the High Life", NM NM

MCA, Dave Mason "Two Hearts" EX EX, w/Phoebe Snow doing backup vocals

Bryan ADams, "Reckless" EX EX

Arista, AL9599, Alan Parsons Project "Eye in the Sky", VG NM

Reprise, Arlo Guthrie "Hobo's Lullaby", Ex NM, this is one of 2 from this buy that I consider "Sweet"

Columbia, New Riders of the Purple Sage "The Adventures of Panama Red" VG NM, Cat. KC32450

WB, "Van Halen II" NM NM

Argo Stereo Cat.757, The Ramsey Lewis Trio, "The In Crowd", Recorded live at the Bohemian Caverns in Wash, DC., This is the best of the whole lot...cover in VG to EX condition and the lp is NM. Can't wait to spin this one.

CBS Masterworks, Mehta/New York Philharmonic/Perahia, "Chopin Piano Concerto No.1", NM NM

London Phase 4 Concert Series, Dvorak, "New World Symphony" Antal Dorati, New Philharmonia Orchestra, EX NM and very heavy. My first of Dvorak's No. 9

Not bad for bins that I picked over myself less than a week ago. Oh, yeah, almost forgot...all 95 centavos ea. Like takin candy from a baby....not that I would ever do that.......again......