Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

Picked up 6 discs at an estate sale. I have listened to two. Crikey, I KNEW these had a good smell!!

First is "Bix Hug," Jazzology JCE-83. Engineered by one Al Rose with Armand Hug at the Steinway in the Cherokee Room of the Royal Sonesta Hotel in New Orleans and made sometime in 1976 just before the venerable Hug died. Hug knew Bix personally and learned how to play a number of his tunes directly from him. The recording is superb, the pressing better than average, and it's hardly been played. "In a Mist" is as close, I believe, to hearing Biederbecke himself as we will ever come on a modern recording. I thought I'd missed one as the the cover discribes an A disc and a B, but they apparently determined there was room on a single disc for the whole set. Wowie, what a treat! Keep an eye out for this one...

Next is "New Orleans at Midnight," GHB-129. I am not sure who acquired who, but GHB notes say they are also Jazzology at this time.

It has Mr. Hug at the piano with Thomas Jefferson on trumpet. Jefferson learned trumpet on the same horn as Louis Armstrong! And you can tell.

This thing is extraordinary. Jefferson whistles on "All the wrongs you done to me" and it is startling in its sense of being right in your ear. Image is superb and done (I'm willing to bet my KU-3A) with two mikes and no mixer. Another above average pressing as well, with little sign of play.

Jass heaven! 1.00 each.

Dave

PS - I got these the same day as I discovered St. Martin's and had the transcendent music experience described in the "Thebes, you were wrong..." thread. That was a very good day indeed!

PS - I got these the same day as I discovered St. Martin's and had the transcendent music experience described in the "Thebes, you were wrong..." thread. That was a very good day indeed!

Crikey Dave! A very good day indeed. One of my best finds lately, thought not stupidly cheap, was kind of bittersweet - Led Zeppelin Box Set on Black Friday ....

Hit the local Goodwill tongiht out looking for liquid driveway de-icer - no luck finding that but did find some CDs on the cheap.... have gotten a few there I don't expect to find for $3 or less a pop..

Petra - God Fixation

Got quite a bit of older Petra on vinyl - didn't even recognize anyone on the cover but did recognize the singer and drummer by name, Executive producer was a founding member I believe but apparently thinks he's too old to play? Almost passed on this one but picked it up after the other 3 I found in the last few left to look through...

The Grateful Dead - Skeletons From The Closet

No Grateful Dead in my collection, or do I have an LP I've forgotten? But none on CD.

Haven't really listed to too much of their stuff ... seems like any decent wanna be collection needs a little Dead. I do remember seeing them on the Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder years ago - did a few numbers and Tom had asked why they performed totally acoustic and I don't remember Jerry's response but it was very good something about a small studio - why amplify when you don't have to. And then they talked about the concerts where researchers I think handed out acid to whoever wanted it so its effects could be studied... And I've always thought it tres cool how they'd encourage their fans to record their concerts and even set aside areas for them to set up their mobile studios.... some serious awesome bootlegs is my understanding and darn it all, I think they still sold plenty of albums.. And they've also been concerned about the sound quality (see recent post somewhere about their amazing rig ....)

George Thorogood & The Destroyers - Greatest Hits: 30 Years Of Rock

I didn't realize George has been going that long... and none in my collection except maybe on a compilation or two... and every now and then I do get to feelin' a little bad to the bone.

From the liner notes: "But George never messed with the basic content - bluesy, ballsy, rock & roll with lots of comic undertones." No wonder I've always liked what I'v heard.

B.B. King / John Lee Hooker - Back 2 Back (20 Ultimate Hits)

B.B. King -
Classics
- way too little B.B. King

John Lee Hooker -
Boom Boom and Other Classics
- first John Lee Hooker album (embarassing, I know)

Been finding quite a bit of stuff cheap on CD lately that I've kind of or really wanted for years, decades even, but just never got around to getting .... too much music, too little funds and time sort of thing. A lot of the LPs bought as cut outs - remember those? The cut out discounts never reallyl seemed to come to CDs as good as vinyl. But it's making me cheap too... almost hard to pay $5 a disc for the Led Zeppelin Box Set though just couldn't pass it up....

Some CDs on the cheap last night from the local Goodwill - stopped by to look for Christmas CDs for sort of a white elephant type of gift exchange at church Christmas party.

Various - Hits of the 1950's Volume 1 contains "Up On The Roof" by the Drifters and that's about the only one I notice - may go to the mother out law

Glorias Estefan - Greatest Hits

Elton John - Classic Elton John

Elton John - Greatest Hits

Fourplay - Elixir

Various - Casey Kasem Presents America's Top Ten 1960s: The Folk Years 20 hits by original artists

Various - Rock n' Roll Hits Of The 60s (blue) new recordings by the original artists except "Leader Of The Pack" by the Shrangi-Las is original recording

Various - Rock n' Roll Hits Of The 60s (yellow) new recordings by the original artists

Various - 60's Super Hits

Grant Geissman - In With The Out Crowd sticker on box: "Picture perfect melodies with tastes of Acid Jazz and a constantly moving retro Soul vibe" - Jazziz

(I have
Flying Colors
I think is the title and thought it was fine to mellow out to but this sounds more interesting)

And I did find some Christmas music

Jim Hendricks - 20 Appalachian Christmas Carols Featuring Jim Hendriks

Barbra Streisand - A Christmas Album

The Regency Singers & Orchestra - Norman Rockwell Christmas Homecoming (not sure what this has to do with Norman Rockwell other than the cover)

And more today from a local pawn shop just down the street from work ... (and there'll only be 3 of us going....)

Sha-Na-Na - Whole Lotta Sha-Na-Na

Various - Party Favorites Number 1 Hits

David Sanborn - Hearsay

Various - Number One Hits Of The 80's Volume Three - country hits, this'll go to the father out law

Various - Number 1 Hits The Rock 'n' Roll Years

John Elefante - Defying Gravity

Madonna - I'm Breathless (Music From And Inspired By The Film Dick Tracy)

Madonna - Bedtime Stories

Madonna - Ray Of Light - not really a big Madonna fan but I've liked at least some of her songs on the radio so for a buck a disc, why not

and yes, I did a whole pile of Christmas CDs, 2 or 3 still in the shrink wrap

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir - It's Christmas

Various - Sounds Of The Season The NBC Collection

Doug Stone - The First Christmas

SWV - A Special Christmas

The New Age Orchestra And Chorus - Spirit Of The Season

The Red Army Chorus - Yuletide Favorites

The Dave Williamson Big Band And Singers - That Christmas Swing

Reba McEntire - Merry Christmas To You - this one will probably go to the father out law

Brian McKnight - Bethlehem

Contemporary Holiday Classics - Collectors Edition Volume 1 - no artist listed, brought to you by Coca Cola and Speedway

Contemporary Holiday Classics - Collectors Edition Volume 5 - no artist listed, by Pepsi and Speedway

Tim Davis, Mark Toey, Aimee Weimer, & Scott Williamson - Do You Hear What I Hear - no artists listed, but vocals by ....

The Holly Singers - A Merry Christmas With The Holly Singers

Mariah Carey - Merry Christmas

Various - Christmas For the 90's Volume 1 - country, may go to the father out law

Various - Christmas Joy - includes Bach's "Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring", The Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Richard P Condi, Director; Philadephia Orchestra, Eugene Ormandy, Conuctor

Lorie Line And Her Pop Chamber Orchestra - Sharing The Season Volume III

Billy Gilman - Classic Christmas - includes "Sleigh Ride" duet with Charlotte Church

Probably keep a couple of the Christmas CDs, give a few to family, take a few to church Christmas party

You guys are bustin my chops! My turntable went bellyup a couple of weeks ago and I don't have time to remedy. But my estate/thrift saling is way down on the list of "have to do's" right now. glad you guys are having a ball. keep up the good work and DON'T come to my neighborhood.

• 2 weeks later...

Thursday night's stop at the local Goodwill... I've kind of ignored the albums as they look pretty beat up to me but some guy was flippin' through 'em and I think it looked like he picked up an Arlo Gurthrie disc... but while I've seen worse, it did look to have seen better days, much better days.... He had a few others but I didn't see what. I think I did pick up one or two LPs there but I'm so far behind in playing my latest vinyl acquisitions. CDs go to the mp3 player so I can listen at work... and I'm behind on that.

Various - The Best From Broadway Musicals Volume 1 - Andrew Lloyd Weber

I double and triple checked and saw no reference to the fly by night orchestra and singers so I'm hoping original cast recordings.

Made in Canada

Madacy Music Group Inc 1994

Glenn Miller Orchestra - Best Of Glenn Miller Orchestra

Not Glenn Miller but Glenn Miller Orchestra so should get some big band jazz swing going

Made in Canada distributed by Distributions Madacy Inc

• 2 weeks later...

Thursday night's stop at the local Goodwill... I've kind of ignored the albums as they look pretty beat up to me but some guy was flippin' through 'em and I think it looked like he picked up an Arlo Gurthrie disc... but while I've seen worse, it did look to have seen better days, much better days.... He had a few others but I didn't see what. I think I did pick up one or two LPs there but I'm so far behind in playing my latest vinyl acquisitions. CDs go to the mp3 player so I can listen at work... and I'm behind on that.

Various - The Best From Broadway Musicals Volume 1 - Andrew Lloyd Weber

I double and triple checked and saw no reference to the fly by night orchestra and singers so I'm hoping original cast recordings.

Made in Canada

Madacy Music Group Inc 1994

Glenn Miller Orchestra - Best Of Glenn Miller Orchestra

Not Glenn Miller but Glenn Miller Orchestra so should get some big band jazz swing going

Made in Canada distributed by Distributions Madacy Inc

*blsamuel,

Did you find any more Otis Redding since your Dock Of The Bay LP?

This question is loaded![H]

This question is loaded!Cool

No Otis Redding since the Dock Of The Bay LP. Don't shoot me, don't see too much Otis Redding on the cheap.

Been mostly looking at CDs as most LPs look pretty beat up and I'm way behind in playing new LPs.

Over the Holidays in Venice Florida from the Goodwill and a humane society thrift store:

Little Village -
Little Village
Already have this so left with Groomlakearea51

Tracy Chapman -
New Beginning

Wayne Watson -
How Time Flies

Wayne Watson -
Wayne Watson

Yesterday at the local Goodwill

Relient K
- Two Lefts Don't Make A Right ... But Three Do

Newsboys -
Thrive

dc talk -
Solo

Various -
Smooth Jazz V98.7 Charity CD 11

• 2 weeks later...

This question is loaded!Cool

No Otis Redding since the Dock Of The Bay LP. Don't shoot me, don't see too much Otis Redding on the cheap.

Been mostly looking at CDs as most LPs look pretty beat up and I'm way behind in playing new LPs.

Over the Holidays in Venice Florida from the Goodwill and a humane society thrift store:

Little Village -
Little Village
Already have this so left with Groomlakeareat1

Tracy Chapman -
New Beginning

Wayne Watson -
How Time Flies

Wayne Watson -
Wayne Watson

Yesterday at the local Goodwill

Relient K
- Two Lefts Don't Make A Right ... But Three Do

Newsboys -
Thrive

dc talk -
Solo

Various -
Smooth Jazz V98.7 Charity CD 11
LOL, OK, are you spinning records lately or...just CD's?

LOL, OK, are you spinning records lately or...just CD's?

Mostly CDs. And most music listening is from CDs loaded to mp3 player while I work [:$]. The family wants to watch TV most of the time and that's where the turntable is. May have to move it to our office room.

I've found CDs at pawn and thrift shops frorm $1 to $3 each.

I think the most I paid was $20 for the 4 CD Led Zeppelin box set in very good condition at a pawn shop where my mother in law lives.

I also found some nice CDs at a yard sale for I think $1 a piece.

Still haven't found much in the way of equipment but have found some good music for very little.

Today's bag of CDs from the local library's book sale. No real SCORE types of finds but should be a few enjoyable songs.

Billy Ocean - Tear Down These Walls

Phoebe Snow - Something Real

Barbra Streisand - Guilty Pleasures

Tony Bennett - Duets An American Classic

Rod Stewart - Still The Same... Great Rock Classics Of Our Time

Bon Jovi - Crush

Various - Cocktail - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Bon Jovi - Bounce

Bonnie Raitt - Silver Lining (I already have this but for this cheap a copy to trade or give away)

Various - The Absolute Hits

Jon Bon Jovi - Destination Anywhere

Barbra Streisand - Higher Ground

Nirvana - Unplugged In New York

Bette Midler - For The Boys - Music From The Motion Picture Soundtrack

Depeche Mode - Playing The Angel

Whitney Houston - Just Whitney...

Various - Sleepless In Seattle Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Various - An Officer And A Gentleman - Original Soundtrack From The Paramount Motion Picture

Richie Sambora - Strange In The Town

Bon Jovi - These Days

Richie Sambora - Undiscovered Soul

Bon Jovi - Keep The Faith

A few of my last bag full from the local library may go back for a future sale or to family and friends.

I'm not sure I can think of more than 1 Bon Jovi song which I do like. I also didn't know he had so many releases. And I'm not really a Barbra Streisand fan though I got her live double CD a while back and it was better than I thought - though I only listened to it while I worked though so not sure it would hold up to sit down and listen to. A couple may find their way to the mother out law. A few may languish around here and go back to the library. A few I'll probably keep.

Anyway, Thursday evening from the local Goodwill

CDs

Kenny G -
Kenny G Live
(I can smell the flames already) Smooth jazz, pop jazz, lite jazz but enjoyable in the right mood and SWMBO likes Kenny G

Various -
Women Of Rock
(several songs I do like)

Madonna -
Madonna

Amy Grant featuring a duet with Vince Gill, The London Voices, The London Symphony Orchestra -
Hallmark Presents The Spirit Of Christmas

LPs

Count Basie and HIs Orchestra -
Basie's In The Bag
Brunswick

Leon Berry -
Giant Wurlitzer Pipe Organ with Bells, Chimes, and Glockenspiels
Audio Fidelity 1961

Atie Shaw And His Orchestra -
This Is Artie Shaw
RCA 1971

Carpenters -
Close To You
A&M

Most of the vinyl appears nice and clean except the Count Basie disc has a few smudges so initial intent was to practice with the steam cleaner but may have something more beater for the first disc or two as it's in pretty good shape otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Ron!

Visited the Salvation Army store today on Inwood in Dallas. Picked up a few LPs.

NEW JAZZ CONCEPTIONS

Bill Evans

Riverside

GOODBYE

Milt Jackson

CTI

JAZZ

Ry Cooder/Joseph Byrd

Reprise

THE CHARLIE BYRD CHRISTMAS ALBUM

Charlie Byrd

Concord

BRAZILIAN BYRD

Music of Carlos Jobim

Charlie Byrd

Columbia

NEW ORLEANS

Various Artists

Atlantic

JIM HALL/RED MITCHELL

Jim Hall, guitar and Red Mitchell, bass

Artistshouse

SOUND PROJECT

Joe Pass/Tommy Gumina Trio

Polytone

CHEWING PINE

Leo Kottke

Capitol

SVINGIN' WITH SVEND

David Grisman Quintet with Svend Asmussen

Zebra Acoustic

CHESTER & LESTER

Chet Atkins and Les Paul

RCA

EVERYBODY DIGS BILL EVANS

Bill Evans

Riverside

IRA, GEORGE, AND JOE

Joe Pass Loves Gershwin

Joe Pass

Pablo

WAVE

Antonio Carlos Jobim

A&M-CTI

GOD BLESS THE CHILD

Kenny Burrell

CTI

TIME IN

Dave Brubeck

Columbia

POETRY

Stan Getz & Albert Daily

Elektra Musicians

MIDNIGHT BLUE

Kenny Burrell

Blue Note

TRIO (Motian, Peacock), DUO (Hall)

Bill Evans

Verve

GETZ MEETS MULLIGAN IN HI-FI

Stan Getz & Gerry Mulligan

Verve

JAZZ SAMBA

Stan Getz & Charlie Byrd

Verve

JAZZ FUNERAL AT NEW ORLEANS

George Lewis

Olympic Records

THE "INTERPLAY" SESSIONS

Bill Evans with Freddie Hubbard and Zoot Sims

Milestone

STABAT MATER

Domenico Scarlatti

Soli, Monteverdi Choir & Continuo

John Eliot Gardiner

Erato

MONOTONES

Erik Satie

John Lanchbery

HMV Greensleeve - EMI

PIANO QUINTET (TROUT), SCHUBERT

EINE KLEINE NACHTMUSIK, MOZART

Guarneri Quartet

Emanuel Ax

RCA Red Seal

$2
each ( a few $1). All VG/VG+. Some with outer sleeves, most with
replacement inner liners (poly & paper). Many imports. Some
original editions.

Someone dumped one hell of a jazz collection. And I left four times this many behind.

A few of my last bag full from the local library may go back for a future sale or to family and friends.

I'm not sure I can think of more than 1 Bon Jovi song which I do like. I also didn't know he had so many releases. And I'm not really a Barbra Streisand fan though I got her live double CD a while back and it was better than I thought - though I only listened to it while I worked though so not sure it would hold up to sit down and listen to. A couple may find their way to the mother out law. A few may languish around here and go back to the library. A few I'll probably keep.

I was just teasing you. I know people have all kinds of likes and dislikes. I'm glad so many people don't like what I like or I'd never be able to find anything used.