Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

• 1 month later...

Nice score! Those Edinburghs look cool indeed.

Yes the Edinburghs look uber cool. Too bad I only scored a pair of SRM12B studio monitors that use the same concentric 2 way driver but in a much smaller and simpler normal vented box. The Edinburghs I think use slot vents. Still needing to make room for 'em in our office and then maybe swap 'em with the Heresies in the living room that mostly produce TV sound [:$] they deserve better.

Anyway, a couple of weeks back while on spring break in Venice FL.

3 Windham Hill CDs from the local Goodwill

Should be good chillin' out music - I actually bought the Windham Hill album
Turning, Turning Back
by Alex DeGrassi in high school in the late 70's or early 1980 after reading about it in Downbeat magazine. Solo acoustic guitar. Very talented. Not as powerful or dynamic as Michael Hedges who I first head on CD many years later but really good stuff to chill to. I think we have at least one or two more of his LPs.

Montreux -
Sign Language

Various -
A Winters Solstice II

George Winston -
Summer

4 LPs from The Elephant Trunk thrift store (owned or at least supporting the Venice hospital)

John Fogerty -
Centerfield
  • We actually bought this on cassette but haven't played it in years. I remember really liking this album and "Centerfield" has such a fun optimistic vibe to it. "... put me in coach, I just wanna play..." but even on our (roommates, friends) very modest systems back in the early to mid 80's our cassettes we recorded from our LPs sounded much better than commercially released cassettes (pathetic ain't it?)

Simon and Garfunkel -
Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits

• The covers got some white bumps like it got sprinkled with a bit of water but clean vinyl in a yellowed paper sleeve (which will go)... "I'm feelin' groovy"... "Kodachrome ..." [:'(]

Linda Rondstadt With Nelson Riddle & His Orchestra

For Sentimental Rreasons

Lush Life

woo hoo! I think I already have
What's New
- at least I think that's what it's called. I think Dennie over in Right This Minute poster there are 3 Linda Ronstadt albums with Nelson Riddle & His Orchestra. Maybe I'm not that excited but though it's been years since I listened to it, I think I really liked the one I do have.... pretty good to mellow out and destress to...Of course I may find that I already have 2 or all 3 and not have the one I think I have [
:o
] .... gotta unbury my LPs and get them in one location. Cataloged on 3x5 index cards buried somewhere in the house or garage

A local flea market also had a pair of KG-3s that were marked either 40 or 400 Not sure apiece or a pair in Walnut or really the price. The grilles looked kind of discolored and the walnut veneer was yellowed on one.... and as about the size of Heresies I might have been able to cram them in the back of the Grand Caravan.... would've been a steal at $40 a pair or even a piece if everything was working. Probably a bit pricey at $400 but the timing didn't seem right with the boss. Gotta pay better attention. But it had only been a few month since the Heresies made the 1100+ mile trip home after a trip to the "Wall of Voodoo".

• Moderators

Never had any luck at any thrift stores but the other day at a bankruptcy auction my wife got a pair of RB 75's for $ 30.00 NEW in the box. I opened them myself to try them out because I had never heard the RB 75's but I had heard good things about that model. I was very surprised how the sounded for a large bookshelf speaker, they are almost the size of a Heresy, and a very nice sound and bass from a bookshelf speaker.

There back in there box now with about 30 min of play time on them, they will be for my daughters room I guess, first RF series we have ever had.

Linda Rondstadt With Nelson Riddle & His Orchestra

For Sentimental Rreasons

Lush Life

woo hoo! I think I already have
What's New
- at least I think that's what it's called. I think Dennie over in Right This Minute poster there are 3 Linda Ronstadt albums with Nelson Riddle & His Orchestra. Maybe I'm not that excited but though it's been years since I listened to it, I think I really liked the one I do have.... pretty good to mellow out and destress to...Of course I may find that I already have 2 or all 3 and not have the one I think I have
Surprise
.... gotta unbury my LPs and get them in one location. Cataloged on 3x5 index cards buried somewhere in the house or garage

You're right about 3 albums with Nelson Riddle and his Orchestra. Sweet find indeed! [Y]

How are the covers? Lush Life is a great "hat box" cover that lifts off. Mine is in near mint condition. I did have to glue one of the flaps on the hat box part, but don't tell anyone!

I like that collection so much, I bought a used CD set of it called " 'round Midnight" for $20, which is a decent price, so I could have it on my Ipod and when I am to tired to get up and flip the albums! [:S]

Dennie

Never had any luck at any thrift stores but the other day at a bankruptcy auction my wife got a pair of RB 75's for $ 30.00 NEW in the box.

Score!

I've only found a couple of pairs of speakers with any real worth to me at thrift stores.... but I've only started looking in the last couple of years. But I have found some great CDS for very little and LPS for next to nothing.

You're right about 3 albums with Nelson Riddle and his Orchestra. Sweet find indeed! Yes

How are the covers? Lush Life is a great "hat box" cover that lifts off. Mine is in near mint condition. I did have to glue one of the flaps on the hat box part, but don't tell anyone!

I just hope that I have all 3 now.... [:D] The covers are in good shape though I've found that the "hat box" cover is a bit hard to slide back into place. I won't tell about your gluing... [:#]

I like that collection so much, I bought a used CD set of it called " 'round Midnight" for $20, which is a decent price, so I could have it on my Ipod and when I am to tired to get up and flip the albums! Tongue Tied

I'll have to keep my eye open. I recently purchased an Artcessories USB Phono Plus for this project of digitizing my LPs. Hopefully I'll get further along in this project than the earlier project of just recording them to CD for which I bought a stand alone audio CD recorder farily cheap a few years back.

I scored the 4 CD Led Zeppelin boxed set for $20 at a pawn shop over Thanksgiving weekend.

Thank you Dennie for your glowing write up of the Linda Ronstadt with Nelson Riddle & His Orchestra over in Right This Minute as it reminded me how much I liked the one I have.... might not have gotten these without that reminder.

(edit) ps. The vinyl is nice and clean and minty looking. Doesn't mean there won't be some ticks and pops but just says play me...

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to be good and not go to every thift store I pass and buy things I might like.... but the local Goodwill, which had nothing worthwhile the last couple of times turned up a couple of LPs and a handful of CDs.

LPs for the vinyl loving crowd... a little dusty but very clean and playable looking vinyl. Covers pretty good.

Bill Cosby - Revenge

• I've loved Bill Cosby for years so at 99 cents just couldn't pass up.... now to get my tt set up where I can use it

The Kingston Trio - String Alog With The Kingston Trio

• At least a couple of fans here (Marvel comes to mind) and I'm looking for that John Stewart album that's supposed to be amazing though I forget the name
  • AMB written in pen on the cover. No inner sleeve. Not quite as clean looking as the Bill Cosby but should clean up and be very playable a little dirty and a few tiny scratches
  • If I don't like it I figured someone here might want another copy

CDs later... off to dinner

And now for the CD's.... egads $1.99 a pop and one at $2.99 that they billed at $1.99 ... the fistful discount. Didn't have any of the 1/2 off (green label ones) - I'm not sure if it's always green label that's half off or they rotate the 4 colors? Green, Red, Blue, Black.

Steve Winwood - Refugees Of The Heart

• Not a lot of Winwood in our collection maybe Roll With It and a greatest hits collection on CD Still haven't gotten Arc of A Diver I wanted to try in high school
  • OB's muttering something like "in time you will" .... I still don't quite get Traffic - there's a lot of good stuff going on - maybe too demanding as I've not sat down and just listed to any Traffic - usually while doing something and while it's interesting I just don't yet get it... "... you will... give it time ... you will" (now I'm hearing those voice in my head again ... someone I've never spoken to but feel like I somehow know)

Humble Pie - Rock On

• This was the $2.99 - Couldn't remember any Humble Pie but pretty sure I'd like this
  • In my trying to be good, thought I'd check.... CP1's mobile communications device goes straight to voice mail
  • Groomlakeare 51's goes to voice mail but he's at home - A good starting point if no Humble Pie and said pretty sure I'd like it but busy so not time to chat - Marshall and my musical tastes overlap enough I'd probably kicked myself had I not paid more (I've found so many good CDs I really like for $1 to $3 it's hard to pay more)

Abbey Lincoln - A Turtle's Dream

• While I didn't like Ya Gotta Pay The Band as well as I thought I might after buying after reading the review, I do like it though haven't listened to it for months ... [:$] so hard to pass on

Nat King Cole - The Christmas Song

• $1.99 - no question - could always give to the Mother In Law or Dad's fiance and they'd be thrilled - but probably won't make it out of the house

Leslie Phillips - The Turning

• Pre Sam Philips days as Contemporary Christian
  • Amazing Voice
  • PMSummer likes Sam better - I'm not sure he has any Leslie but I'm pretty sure I do too though only 1 Sam Phillips release and several I think including her 1st 2 or 3 releases which were more CCM teenage dance pop but a bit better as I actually didn't really like teenage dance pop even then but this was like that genre with a bit more talent behind it and I message behind it
  • The Turning I think is one of her later if not last Leslie releases and I'd say it's more of a transition to Sam or more recognizable as Sam than Leslie - I think PM would like this one but Beyond Saturday Night maybe not so much and that's probably true for me though I've still only one Sam Phillips CD [:$] so I'd probably only recommend BSN to PM if he doesn't already have it to follow her maturation (ouch! big word) as a singer and songwriter
  • I have this on LP but haven't listened in a long while
  • Still in shrink wrap

A whole bunch of Chesky artists and probably uncredited speaking - The Ultimate Demonstration Disc

• A Chesky demonstration disc - $1.99 seems like a steal

Pat Metheny Group - Still Life (Talking)

• An unexpected concert at BSU - quite a good show
  • Only 1 or 2 other Pat Metheny CDs and I don't think any vinyl so a no-brainer at $1.99

Stan Getz - Blue Skies

• I think a work on cassette I recorded from a virgin copy from the local library - they had some pretty awesome stuff that I was the first to check out back in my college days - and some really off the wall things
  • More popular things like a Beatles album were usually too beat up to bother playing
  • Only 1 track on the mp3 from The Savoy Jazz Sampler so probably none on CD
  • None on vinyl that I can remember

• 1 month later...

Ahh.... too bad I "only" got the SRM 12Bs and not Edinburghs... but I'm sure Edinburghs would've been long gone by the time I got there unless they just put them out that morning.....

Last Friday morning on my way to work at a local Sorority thrift store:

CD titled something like
Musical Massage
with front cover of Indy's St Vincent hospital like something they would've given to new mothers but looked like it may be very good to go to sleep to.... a few seconds audition of each track on the way home confirmed that.... too much more and I'd have probably fallen asleep at the wheel

A couple of LPs this morning (makes for a bit later work day as they're only open 9-12 Friday and Saturday mornings)...

Ramsey Lewis Trio -
The In Crowd -
Cadet LP-757

Recorded live at the Bohemian Caverns / Washingto D.C.

Ramsey Lewis Trio -
Hang On Ramsey!
- Cadet LP-761

Recorded live at The Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach California

both have "also available in stereo" printed on the back but STEREO printed on the front and spline and both manufcatured by Chess

passed on Ray Charle's
Modern Sounds In Country And Western Music
maybe it'll still be there the next time in, I'm not a big fan of Country music but can't help but love Ray Charles ... had a few other interesting including Dave Brubeck's
Time Out
and Herb Alpert and The Tiajuana Brass
Whipped Cream And Other Delights
but I have both on LP and I think in at least as good if not better condition.

I answered a CL ad for a BOTL Marantz turntable because it had a Shure V15-III cart for $70. I loved the V15-III I had prior to "The Great Disappointment of 1984", and have wanted another. Seemed like a good opportunity.

The ad showed a bunch of jazz albums laying around the deck, and mentioned he had 110 albums for sale for $60, as he had just transferred all his LPs to digital. I offered him $120 for the whole shebang.

He responded that he already had a buyer for the LPs, but he had some more if I was interested. Bottom line: $120, Marantz TT4000, Shure V15-III, and 120 jazz and pop LPs, in Fair to VG condition, including lots of first pressings from Verve, Impulse, and Pacific Jazz. I have not cataloged them yet, but here's a few of interest (with online prices as appropriate for condition and issue).

SIDE BY SIDE, $50

Duke Ellington and Johnny Hodges plus others

Verve mono

YELLOW SUBMARINE (first edition)

The Beatles

Apple

VALLEY OF THE MOON, $55

Lovecraft

Reprise

BLONDE ON BLONDE (first edition?)

Bob Dylan

Columbia 2-eye

BECHET-SPANNIER QUARTET, $45

Sidney Bechet and Muggsy Spanier

Allegro-Elite

GERRY MULLIGAN QUARTET, $50

Gerry Mulligan, Chet Baker, Chico Hamilton, Bob Whitlock

Pacific Jazz LP# 1

JAZZTONE SOCIETY JAZZ SAMPLER, $40

Sidney Bechet, Charlie Parker, Red Norvo, Art Tatum, Coleman Hawkins, Jack Teagarden, Erroll Garner, Woody Herman

Jazztone

ANYTHING GOES!, $20

The Dave Brubeck Quartet

Columbia 6-eye

JAZZ RED HOT AND COOL, $40

The Dave Brubeck Quartet

Columbia 6-eye mono

THE NEW SOUND, $40 10"

Les Paul

Capitol

There's some dreck, too, but I think I came out ahead.

I scored a pair of Kg4's in great condition today for $30 from my local thrift.

1st time Klipsch owner. Big Smile Awesome!!!! always wanted a pair but never could afford them.

That was a great score Adac! Welcome to the world of Klipsch and the Klipsch forum. We're glad you're here and stick around, we always need a "new guy" to blame things on!!! [;)] LOL

Dennie